I wince every time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around my place of work there are numerous speed bumps. It pains me each and every day when I'm walking by the speed bumps and people drive over them @ 20-30 miles an hour. I mean they just roll right over them things and I can hear the shocks shriek. I don't understand how people think that is an okay thing to do. I go over them things like a snail.

That's all I came here to say because I needed to scream into the void my disdain for people mistreating their suspensions like this.

Have a good weekend ya'll.

My opinion they can drive how they want as long as they are within the speed limit. In fact its their car and I could care lest if they are alone if they drive it off a cliff. Because I'm not the one paying to maintain the car they drive.

My employer shares parking with a distrubution center. Tractor trailers in and out all day and man, you talk about noise. Sounds like a bomb goes off when they blast over the speed bumps. Sometimes you see the tires bounce on the trailer.

A kid drove over a speed hump in my neighborhood about 40 mph. Heard a large crunch, then another, then another. Totally busted out his front and rear and left pieces in the road. But the good news is he limped back down the street doing about 25 mph. I guess it took him doing $4k in car damage to realize he should slow down in a neighborhood.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by rob1715
A kid drove over a speed hump in my neighborhood about 40 mph. Heard a large crunch, then another, then another. Totally busted out his front and rear and left pieces in the road. But the good news is he limped back down the street doing about 25 mph. I guess it took him doing $4k in car damage to realize he should slow down in a neighborhood.
spankme2.gif

In one of the neighbourhoods we lived, there was a long but deep dip in the pavement. If you were driving a reasonable speed there was no problem - you hardly noticed it. But a few people drove down the street too fast and I heard a number of ungodly crunches. At least one guy got out to look under his vehicle.

I'd guess that a high speed drive through our neighbourhood would have been a one time thing.

If half the population had the bad back problems that I have had speed bumps of any type would be illegal. Before I had the IDET procedure performed my back was so bad that any bump or pothole was like a knife to my back no matter how slow I went.

I know speed bumps may sometimes be necessary to prevent speeding in areas where children play, and I have even once caught up with a teenager driver who had opened it up in an alley in the summer time where kids play and I really balled him out and let him know how stupid what he just did was, but one of the things that is not considered when speed bumps are installed is how much pain it causes people with bad backs.

When teaching our youngest son to drive in the Mercedes C220, we kept telling him to slow down over speed bumps and rail crossings. ''I am !'' he said...''Not enough'' we said. Then one day he was driving in my Nissan....''Oh, I see what you mean about speed bumps in this.'' Some cars are good on these things....Mercedes and Landcrabs.

There are also plastic removable speed bumps. Those should be illegal and even banned. What I don't like about them is they have trapezoidal cross section. They are just overly harsh to drive over. They also make me glad my car is not lowered at all. At one end of one of them is enough space I can bypass the bump easily enough. My guess is that they only come as sections and in one length but are connectable. I don't despise speed bumps when they are a gentler profile that is a permanent part of the lot but those plastic things MUST GO!!!

Originally Posted by CT8
Why would you care how others treat their equipment.

Because he may be the 1st buyer of that lease vehicle with a loose front end. Once it gets turned-in after 36 months of fast driving speed bumps.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by CT8
Why would you care how others treat their equipment.

Because he may be the 1st buyer of that lease vehicle with a loose front end. Once it gets turned-in after 36 months of fast driving speed bumps.

If you're worrying about something like that, odds are you're not buying a used vehicle.

When my high school was built they put multiple speed bumps in the main entrance. That lasted a year, as people would drive through the grass to avoid the speed bump
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Eh, I don't slow down much for speed bumps.

Same. My vehicles are all pretty tall with meaty tires so they can handle it.

Sometimes I'll be driving something with plenty of ground clearance, plenty wheel travel and plenty sidewall, like for example a Land Rover 90 or a Transit Van.
These vehicles will float over most speedbumps as though they were completely flat. Also they are designed and built to be 'rugged' for their intended usage IE living on farm or a building site.
These are the chariots in which you can float over speedbumps at 20-25 mph and my coffee in the cupholder doesnt even spill at these speeds.

Then there are other days when I'm driving the Scirocco with its low ground clearance and 'header' manifold reducing ground clearance even further, but most importantly there are no plastic bumpers or overfenders, it's just painted metal all the way down to the floor. Its these reasons that compel me to plan a route that has no speedbumps, and in the event that one is unavoidable I have to take it diagonally at no more than 5-6mph. Hitting a speedbump at more than 10-15mph in that thing would result in needing the front and back ends repainted on their bottom halfs.

The worst thing is when you get potholes developing on both sides of the speedbump that eventuallyy get deep enough that you scrap the underside of the car along the top of the speedbump as you drop down the pothole before and after the speedbump.

There is talk on another car forum about developing a sat-nav app for smartphones which has speedbumps in its memory - there was a spate of Ferrari and Aston Martin owners damaging their cars on the new style speedbump with square edges and the result is the development of this app. From what I can gather it will be similar to Waze but catered specifically to those who drive 'less convenient' cars.

Originally Posted by Throt
Around my place of work there are numerous speed bumps. It pains me each and every day when I'm walking by the speed bumps and people drive over them @ 20-30 miles an hour. I mean they just roll right over them things and I can hear the shocks shriek. I don't understand how people think that is an okay thing to do. I go over them things like a snail.

That's all I came here to say because I needed to scream into the void my disdain for people mistreating their suspensions like this.

Have a good weekend ya'll.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My opinion they can drive how they want as long as they are within the speed limit. In fact its their car and I could care lest if they are alone if they drive it off a cliff. Because I'm not the one paying to maintain the car they drive.

The noise and damage or potential isn't too unnerving to me when witnessing such mind folly operators but in my case, it's almost always NOT within a speed limit. Where I see the bumps used is usually a very pedestrian-busy area that needs some control. Those bumps are (obviously) not speed limit signage, yet are designed to be vehicle safe for suspension / drivetrain etc... at reasonable parking lot or access drive speeds.
I guess the intention is a 'thinking person' sees them and approach's accordingly, yet we see others slam them almost as protest. "I hate that speed bump (or my car) so I'm going to drive the shock towers through the hood!".
grin2.gif

I don't often see speed bumps misplaced such as areas where they ought not be needed but I can understand the frustration if or when that's the case. Still, I wouldn't be taking it out on my tires, wheels, suspension or whatever to show my car who's Boss....
As per sensibilities and safety, shopping areas and busy plaza type store fronts and strip malls seemed horribly designed and are full of blind areas, pillars or structure where folks may step out at any moment. As often as not, right at or near official zebra stripes / crosswalks etc... You might not see them til they land on the hood. - We just have to drive accordingly or risk paperwork I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back