What is your opinion of the 2020 Ford Ranger?

I've been wanting/needing a truck ever since I moved to my home on 5 acres. I test drove many trucks and am not brand biased.
I test drove a Ranger for the third time and really like how it drives "smaller" vs full size trucks I test drove. I'd want a SuperCab with a 6' bed if I buy a Ranger.
My sister, wife and I visit my parents 2 hours away several times a year. My sister is 6'2".
I kinda hate the idea of buying a crew cab and sacrificing bed length. My parents have a summer house on Lake Erie and I'd like to get a small boat which I cant store
on their property.

A few people have stated the new Ranger isn't much smaller than an F150.

The type of boat I'd like to buy:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Ranger is a nice truck. I liked how it drove and it has a nice powertrain. I also liked the Ridgeline a lot. In the mid-size segment, the Frontier, Ranger and Ridgeline were my favorite. While there maybe greater value in a full size, I prefer driving a smaller truck. I'm 6'1" and had no issues with the Frontier, which is the smallest mid-size truck. If you can get a good deal on a Ranger, I'd highly consider it.

If you buy a Ranger, you are sacrificing bed space anyway. Even the longer bed doesn't hold much. You can always use a trailer if you need to haul very much.

However, if you prefer the way it drives and handles, go for it. I think they are great.

I have truck shopped a lot over the past few months. I felt the Ranger was priced a bit high in comparison to the F150 and Tundra, but the size is nice. The Ranger interior is nice too.

Still too big for me- plus the Frontier is outselling it.
That says it all.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Too big and too expensive for a small truck.

I thought the Ranger was a good looking truck inside and out BUT not at the price point.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Still too big for me- plus the Frontier is outselling it.
That says it all.

Yup! Frontier would be perfect with a tighter turn radius, the only thing I hate on that truck.

Last edited:
The rear seat is only usable by tiny people or children unless the front occupants have their knees in their faces. I can't even get back there riding behind a normal size person. A stripped F150 isn't that much more $$$ and has some real room.

Originally Posted by CKN
Too much "new fangled" technology...........
banana2.gif

It's probably the least new fangled in class aside from the Frontier since it has been around a while, just not in North America.

...but it still sucks compared to real dinosaur Rangers.
happy2.gif

Frontier is the best value IMO. If you can handle the 12-15mpg it's a fantastic truck.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
The rear seat is only usable by tiny people or children unless the front occupants have their knees in their faces. I can't even get back there riding behind a normal size person. A stripped F150 isn't that much more $$$ and has some real room.

Isn't this the issue with all mid-size trucks? I've sat in all of them at the car show and they were lacking in rear leg space. And IIRC all of them lacked rear air vents except the Ridgeline which is a huge negative.

Just get an SUV with a good light weight trailer. Good seats that way and you don't have to unload the trailer before you can use the truck to go somewhere else like to work.

You stated you can't store the boat on their property which is 2 hours away. That Ranger is a little small to be pulling a boat like you have pictured which appears to
be an Lund. I have a boat about the same size and the Ranger is a little small to be pulling a boat that large 2 hours back and forth frequently. As others stated go with the Ford F-150 XL and you will be a much better position to pull such a large boat no matter what the towing capacity is on that little Ranger. The F-150 will be much more reliable and resale will be better if you ever sell it.

While I don't have a first hand account I do know they are getting alot traded in less than a year old at the dealer in town (specializes in 1 owner low mileage cars). They all went to full size, so that's gotta say something.

Originally Posted by CT8
Look at an XL F150.

This^^^

Unless Ford has finally relaxed and is offering incentives on the Ranger, an equally configured F150 will cost same or a little less, given that you can often get up to $10,000 off msrp on the full size. Also, the most incentive heavy F150's are the 2.7 twin turbo models which get virtually the same fuel economy as the new Ranger. Maybe 1 mpg less.

I'll add to CT8's advice and say look for that XL base model but only the ones equipped with the STX package as it brings a boatload of upgrades for the low cost of the package.

If a supercab Ranger was big enough cabin space the a supercab F150 should work even better. I'm 6'2 with 34" inseam on pants, and leaving the driver seat where I have it set for myself, I can sit in the rear seat behind it and my knees just kiss fabric of the backrest.

Back