Stationary engine catalytic converter to reduce diesel odor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 different diesel generators. Two of them are Lister CS diesel engines, the kind you crank-start by hand.

One of them is a modern Kubota single, water cooled engine with a belt drive 9.3KW generator head. All of the engines are healthy, and produce no visible smoke.

Because I find diesel exhaust particularly disagreeable now, (I was not always this way) I'd like to install an inexpensive Diesel Oxidation catalytic converter to reduce the characteristic exhaust smell on at least one of the engines and see if it helps. It's not a crusade to improve emissions for environmental reasons, but for my personal pleasure. Also for a bit of experimentation, as if it works, I'll equip all 3 engines with Cats.

I was reading about how Diesel Oxidation catalytic converters were used early on in mining operations to reduce the smell and make mining operations tolerable. So there is a long history of using them on low tech stationary engines. They will "light off" at 200 degrees C (just under 400F) and will stay functional at any load after that.

I found a MagnaFlow 2 inch 53004DM catalytic converter online for $90, but when I ordered it, they told me it was obsolete and could not suggest a similar alternative.

The flattened shape of a universal cat is ideal, as there is a bit of a clearance issue on one side. A round unit would not be a good choice.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Can you extend the exhaust pipe farther away?

I live on 2 acres and find that when I run the engines, the air is stagnant and the smell hangs around, regardless of where I position the engine. The engines are kept in the garage and pulled out on wheels. So they are stationary when operating, but movable otherwise.

So I guess the answer is yes, but it won't really achieve what I want.

I recently had a customer with a 74 Defender 110 with an OM617 swap, straight pipe exhaust, and was complaining about smoke and soot. I installed a 3" cat from Bear River Converters, and it drastically reduced the smell and thickness of the exhaust once it came up to temp. I cant find the link to the one I purchased, you may want to call them and see what they recommend, it was about 275$ for a high load one. My buddy ran the cheapest 250 cell high flow on his 02 tdi and it also helped a lot.

20% biodiesel, B20, should have about 50 percent less emissions.

I think it smells like french fries...

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
20% biodiesel, B20, should have about 50 percent less emissions.

I think it smells like french fries...

Thanks, but I currently have about 550 gallons of Jet-A that I've processed using an Alfa Laval "Emmie" centrifugal filter. The centrifuge pulls out any moisture or bacteria plus any particulate matter with a specific gravity higher than the Jet-A.

I don't have a source of WVO, the fuel that smells like fries. While the Lister CS engines will run on the WVO no problem, the Kubota is a modern high pressure job and I'd prefer not to use WVO in it. I do have a casual contact in the bio-diesel world and could get 100% bio if I'd like. But I believe the exhaust smell is quite similar. Also Biodiesel has a limited shelf life.

[Linked Image from alfalaval.com]

Last edited:
An old antique 2 way cat is best for a diesel.

It doesn't foul and just burns off the excess carbon making things more pleasant.

Finding one that fits off the shelf is the problem,
2 way cats should be cheap as dirt (compared to a 3 way) but are harder to find now days

Careful Water mist into the exhaust stream also helps a lot or if your motor has enough power bubble the exhaust through a 55 gallon drum of water (that's what they do in mines)

Water bubbler of coarse is infinitely better than a CAT but might be hard to carry, after washing the only thing left is odorless CO2 ,

Antidotally One notable farmer made a system that blows his tractors exhaust through the soil as he tills, claims it increases yields

https://www.hcn.org/issues/44.8/recycling-diesel-emissions-for-farm-fertilizer

Last edited:
I'm around big "portable" diesel equipment and construction equipment pretty often at work and work around tractor-trailers every day. It is amazing how the emissions equipment on newer tractors take most of the diesel smell away from the exhaust- under most circumstances anyway. The exhaust smells more light propane-ish than anything to me. The pre-DEF ones gave off kind of an ammonia smell to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back