2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI QSUD 5W20 3,800 Miles

Below is my first UOA on my 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI (non - turbo) performed by WIX - Atlanta.
I've run a DEXOS approved 5W30 all it's life (34K miles) with 4K mile OCI's using a Fram Ultra #9688 oil filter changed each time.
QSUD 5W20 was used with an OCI of 3,800 miles ; suburban driving conditions run from Oct. 2019 to end of Feb. 2020 in Georgia with average runs of 40 minutes (one way to work) .
I wanted to establish a worse case OCI with the QSUD 5W20 (I normally run a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oil for 4K miles ) .

*Your comments regarding the wear numbers , sodium , TBN , etc. ?

Wix - Atlanta Report:
Engine wear levels appear satisfactory for first sample.
Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory.
Water content acceptable.
Viscosity within specified operating range.
Action: Resample next service interval to monitor and establish wear trend..
SAMPLED29-Feb-20
Quaker StateUltimate DurabilitySAE 5W20
Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe)14
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu)2
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al)3
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti)4
Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si)16
Sodium (Na)9
Potassium (K)2
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg)533
Calcium (Ca)1370
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P)666
Zinc (Zn)812
Molybdenum (Mo)167
Boron (B)37
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant : No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C)7.9
Physical / ChemicalBase
TBN Number (mgKOH/ 2.9

Wow looks Ok, but way short OCI.

I'm at 9K OCI now with the subaru and posting much better than average UOA.

Try 75000 next time.

warranty? Show then the UOA, they can't deny if there is no lube related failure.

S Korea trying to destroy our environment .

Iron seems high, and TBN is getting low.
Canada has 3750 mile OCI requirement for Hyundai.
If it was my Sonata, no more than 5,000 miles between OCI. If PYB 5W-30 saves money vs QSUD, I would run that at max 5,000 miles.
More important to run shorter OCI on DI engines vs running synthetic, and longer intervals - imo of course.
And I would run the OE Hyundai blue can filter, it's robust, and just works for this application.

Owned a 2013 2.4L Sonata until it was totaled.

*OP Here : I failed to state that 1 quart of make up oil was required over the 3,800 OCI (QSUD 5W20 was used for make up oil as well … Probably doesn't make the OCI look as good now ?

Go back to 5W30 and stay at 4K OCI. That's what I'm doing with my 2.4 GDI. SOPUS or Valvoline oils are a good choice.
Wix/OEM, Mobil-1, Toughguard and Ultra oil filters are probably the best for Hyunkia GDI/TGDIs. All protect well. Any Hyunkias before 2016 should probably just use OEM oil filters.

I prefer Calcium at 1100 max. Yours is nearing 14. Your Zinc is up-there. The add-pack for 5w30 should be a little different. It will probably see lower Zinc and lower Calcium..... plus for sure be Dexos 1 Gen 2.

A quart low over 3800 miles would not leave me with the warm and fuzzies, but it's certainly not something to be exceptionally concerned with. It just warrants monitoring. I agree with the above, try a 5W-30 or, being in GA, even a 10W-30. I don't think you're going to see much better wear numbers as those look to be right at averages for that engine, but it's worth a change in viscosity to see if it can curb some of the oil usage.

ditto on above quaker state ultimate durability fake synthetic 10w30 is what girlfriends 18 kia optima gets, no consumption unlike her oil eatin 60 plus thou 2.5 13 malibu it replaced

Originally Posted by JustN89
A quart low over 3800 miles would not leave me with the warm and fuzzies, but it's certainly not something to be exceptionally concerned with. It just warrants monitoring. I agree with the above, try a 5W-30 or, being in GA, even a 10W-30. I don't think you're going to see much better wear numbers as those look to be right at averages for that engine, but it's worth a change in viscosity to see if it can curb some of the oil usage.

*I'm not particularly pleased with the 1 quart of QSUD 5W20 make up oil used over the 3,800 mile OCI run . I wanted to use the exact same make up oil as the 5 qrt fill I used (QSUD 5W20) to keep the test consistent . The air filter (Hyundai OEM) was changed less than 10,000 miles ago but I will check it to make sure it's seated properly ... Currently I have PUP 5W30 (from my stash) as the current oil fill with a Fram Ultra #9688 being used . I'll run this fill for a 4,000 mile OCI and see how things look with another UOA .

**If nothing else , I'm happy providing an actual UOA on a well maintained 2017 Hyundai Sonota 2.4L GDI non - turbo engine for the Bob's oil community to have on hand for reference .

Looking forward to your PUP results Chris. Just wish it were the 5w30, to match mine. But my UOA ain't coming until Fall. My retiree job shuffling handicapped kids around in a big yellow bus shut down due to Covid19 and may be down for months. So my Hyundai will sit in the driveway for long spells gathering dust.

Keep an eye on that consumption. Rather high in my opinion for that mileage. From what I'm understand, GDI engines that start using oil are because GDI tends to coke oil rings rather quickly.

*Current fill now is PUP 5W30 with a 16 oz. bottle of Rislone to clean rings better to see if oil consumption will slow down . Doubtful the Rislone will do much as this GDI engine has seen D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oils
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Looking forward to your PUP results Chris. Just wish it were the 5w30, to match mine. But my UOA ain't coming until Fall. My retiree job shuffling handicapped kids around in a big yellow bus shut down due to Covid19 and may be down for months. So my Hyundai will sit in the driveway for long spells gathering dust.

*I agree - hence why I am trying the Rislone to deep clean the rings.
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Keep an eye on that consumption. Rather high in my opinion for that mileage. From what I'm understand, GDI engines that start using oil are because GDI tends to coke oil rings rather quickly.

Considering the QSUD 5w-20 for next O.C.. Quaker State conventional is mentioned in the '18 ACCENT owner manual .

Last edited:
You will do fine with normal driving using QSUD 5W20 in the 18 ACCENT ! … I use QSUD 5W20 in my daughter's 2010 Elantra which does quite well with it. Please consider to change the oil every 4K to 5K miles in the ACCENT and it will serve you well .
Originally Posted by odie
Considering the QSUD 5w-20 for next O.C.. Quaker State conventional is mentioned in the '18 ACCENT owner manual .

The previous oil fill had level drop a bit below FULL when driving more at interstate speeds ( 65 ) . The oil was Platinum 5w-20 ( Dexos 1 , Gen 2 ) and remains the same . At 2900 + miles and no drop as of yet . Will consider shorter O.C..

Last edited:
A poster else where has a theory that after Hyundai changed dipsticks in GDI engines to allow for approx. 1/2 qrt. more oil that those who experience oil drop to see if it settles down in between the FULL and ADD marks ? Seems like a logical thing to try as perhaps my GDI engine tends to use more oil when kept at the FULL mark for some reason ?
Originally Posted by odie
The previous oil fill had level drop a bit below FULL when driving more at interstate speeds ( 65 ) . The oil was Platinum 5w-20 ( Dexos 1 , Gen 2 ) and remains the same . At 2900 + miles and no drop as of yet . Will consider shorter O.C..

Not aware of that .
21.gif

Back