Subaru Impreza Rally Car Converted To Street Use Is An Epic Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat video, thanks. I think it's kinda funny that a Japanese guy has an almost British accent. If you've ever wondered where Subaru refined the engineering that has been powering their 10+ year sales juggernaut, the real nuts and bolts were started in these cars, back in the 90's when they were doing WRC and winning. The car in this video can be considered "The Godfather" of not only the Subaru WRX/STi family, but also what remains of the WRC/RallyCross series.

I think it's great they've brought turbo engines back to the Legacy/Outback, but the STi is really needing a modern engine, and Subaru should spend some factory money and get their name back in the racing world news. Detroit wasn't wrong when they said "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday." Yes, I get that today a majority of Subaru owners buy based on the commercials, but the WRX/Legacy GT/Outback XT were what laid the foundation for the 2008-2020 sales. It ain't impressive when compared against overall numbers of GM/Ford, but any company has to be jealous of 120+ months of increasing sales. Yes, I'm biased, even while admitting there have been several engineering gaffes.

Wemay, thanks!!!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
but the STi is really needing a modern engine,

The next gen in 2021?? is supposed to get a high performance version of the fa2.4DIT 400hp+
also going to be running on the subaru "global platform" which is considerably more advanced than the current structure/design.

The current 2.4T in detuned making 260hp..

vs some 2.0T at 270hp and up...

A new engine has been needed for 5 years at least in the STI.

Originally Posted by Rand

The next gen in 2021?? is supposed to get a high performance version of the fa2.4DIT 400hp+
also going to be running on the subaru "global platform" which is considerably more advanced than the current structure/design.

I'm not exactly sure if you're arguing or agreeing. If you search my other posts on WRX/STi (and even the lost market of turbo'd, sporty family transportation i.e. Legacy/Outback/Forester), I have long advocated for a no-holds-barred 2.4 turbo in the new WRX... I think the base car should be easily 350+, and the STi in at over 400, maybe even with sequential twins or a VGT. One thing I have always lamented is the "pork" that comes along with new models; if you look at even fully loaded versions of the '98-2005 cars, it was nearly impossible to get up to 3000lbs. Now with the newer cars, it is nearly impossible to scale under 3500lbs. This greatly changes the vehicle dynamics and the "raw" feel of the car. I think if Subaru wants to really distinguish the STi, there need to be two branches. A "luxury" that has the bells and whistles, and the "performance" that removes all creature comforts but retains only the safety interventions (defeatable VDC, defeatable traction control, ABS, and maybe EyeSight). There are still plenty of potential buyers that want an ultra-muscular, AWD coupe/sedan that is laser-focused on driving dynamics. I know it may not be a "market leader" for Subaru, but since everything is shifting to the SGP, there's no reason the 2.4DIT should not be offered in every vehicle they sell. I have been biding my time with a couple older Subies just waiting on the model that checks enough of my "wants" even in my older age.

Subaru... are you listening? When are you gonna share the love for your Rally roots?
lol.gif

[I'm not exactly sure if you're arguing or agreeing.

Agreeing, and stating there is light at the end of the tunnel.. modern platform and modern 400+hp engine coming.

I'm not exactly sure if you're arguing or agreeing. If you search my other posts on WRX/STi (and even the lost market of turbo'd, sporty family transportation i.e. Legacy/Outback/Forester), I have long advocated for a no-holds-barred 2.4 turbo in the new WRX... I think the base car should be easily 350+, and the STi in at over 400, maybe even with sequential twins or a VGT. One thing I have always lamented is the "pork" that comes along with new models; if you look at even fully loaded versions of the '98-2005 cars, it was nearly impossible to get up to 3000lbs. Now with the newer cars, it is nearly impossible to scale under 3500lbs. This greatly changes the vehicle dynamics and the "raw" feel of the car. I think if Subaru wants to really distinguish the STi, there need to be two branches. A "luxury" that has the bells and whistles, and the "performance" that removes all creature comforts but retains only the safety interventions (defeatable VDC, defeatable traction control, ABS, and maybe EyeSight). There are still plenty of potential buyers that want an ultra-muscular, AWD coupe/sedan that is laser-focused on driving dynamics. I know it may not be a "market leader" for Subaru, but since everything is shifting to the SGP, there's no reason the 2.4DIT should not be offered in every vehicle they sell. I have been biding my time with a couple older Subies just waiting on the model that checks enough of my "wants" even in my older age.

Subaru... are you listening? When are you gonna share the love for your Rally roots?
lol.gif

Maybe they copy volvo and simply the engines by just having 2.4 na engine and 2.4 turbo engine for the whole subaru lineup then you can have the wrx make like 285hp on regular gas and then sti make 400 on premium

Only in England. Some automotive rules the UK seems to be rigid i.e. no red blinking turn signals. If that is truly a purpose built racecar it won't have a vin, yet somehow the guy made it road legal. I don't think this can be done in the usa.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Only in England. Some automotive rules the UK seems to be rigid i.e. no red blinking turn signals. If that is truly a purpose built racecar it won't have a vin, yet somehow the guy made it road legal. I don't think this can be done in the usa.

Not just in England, in any country. The law makes certain things mandatory (reverse lights, indicators, horn, etc etc) and if you comply with those mandatory requirements th car can go on the road.

All those early WRC subarus came from Pridrive in the UK who took a shell from the production line (with its vin) and built a racecar into the shell. Further, all rally cars are road legal anyway because they have to drive between stages, and they have number plates.

There you go, WRC cars with number plates and indicators on the public road. Its a common occurence in Europe as the cars drive between stages.

Originally Posted by Rand

lol.gif

I'm with you, my friend! I'd love to see this.

But 350 HP in a base WRX? It's just wishful thinking. Not gonna happen. With the current STi @ 305 HP, they'll go with an incremental up-rate in the new STi, even in the new TGDI engine. They'll go conservative, if for no other reason than, taking the conservative path gives them headroom for uprated versions of the engine in years to come. If they went all-out and made it 400 HP for the first year of the car and engine, where do they go from there??

You have to think like the designers and bean-counters at Subaru. Just look at the STi's competition:

- Civic Type R - 306 HP
- Golf R - 288 HP

Now, there are rumors that the next-gen Golf R will have more. But, rumor has it that it could be around 330 HP. A good bump, but still a fairly modest increase, all things considered.

And the base WRX? With 268 HP/258 lb-ft, it already has more HP than its most direct competitors. The GTI only has around 230 HP, if I recall correctly, and the Civic Si, 201 HP. And the Focus ST at around 250 HP. But a current-gen WRX will wipe up a track with ANY of those cars. I know - I owned one and drove the snot out of it on the crookedest mountain roads in TN & NC. Not sure if Mazda even makes the Mazdaspeed 3 anymore.

Veloster-N is slightly faster than the WRX, I think. But, I doubt Subaru really considers that car direct competition. Not really worthy of working up a sweat over.

The next WRX will get a very incremental bump, if anything. Possibly 10 HP just so they can claim an increase in their marketing.

I'd be AMAZED if the next-gen STi even had 350 HP. I'd imagine it'll get MAYBE a 30-40 HP boost over the current car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back