NASCAR racing with no fans next few races...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
So business as normal.

crackmeup2.gif

It makes sense as the drivers are not getting in close contact to one another like they are in most sports. I guess there is that much money in TV rights.

People are going to need something to do in quarantine. Watching re-runs of "I Love Lucy" will get old after a few days (or hours).

In my opinion what NASCAR should have done is just cancelled the next two races. The fans who did buy hotel rooms, tickets and other race related expenses are a total loss for them now, when nascar could have re-scheduled the race and allowed the fans to get something for the money spent.

Is it true that most Nascar drive circle or oval tracks? The kinda track where every corner is a left (or right)?

Why dont you run nascar on more interesting tracks like Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Lime Rock Park, Sonoma etc etc? There would be more viewers and so more revenue form ticket sales & pay per view because it would be so much more interesting to watch.

Originally Posted by Olas
Is it true that most Nascar drive circle or oval tracks? The kinda track where every corner is a left (or right)?

Why dont you run nascar on more interesting tracks like Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Lime Rock Park, Sonoma etc etc? There would be more viewers and so more revenue form ticket sales & pay per view because it would be so much more interesting to watch.

Look at the schedule

Because there are already plenty of other racing series that do that, NASCAR was founded by American Moonshine runners with hopped up cars. They run ovals where we like to turn LEFT! They do run Sonoma, Watkins Glenn and a road course at Charlotte but the sport primarily focuses on oval tracks with very high speeds using 3600lb "stock" cars.

It doesn't take much effort to do some research on NASCAR. It is what it is. To NASCAR fans it's more enjoyable to see the whole track from your seat rather than one or two turns of a road course.

Originally Posted by Donald
It makes sense as the drivers are not getting in close contact to one another like they are in most sports. I guess there is that much money in TV rights.

People are going to need something to do in quarantine. Watching re-runs of "I Love Lucy" will get old after a few days (or hours).

If 200mph don't kill Corona virus, nothin' will!

The physical moment created by a revolving flywheel adds stability in left turns. A right turn track would be less safe.

I'd love to see races on normal streets. Insuring the adjacent properties against race damage would be quite expensive.

Formula racing was considered for communities along the Hudson River's west side (across from NYC) in and around Hoboken, NJ.
A map appeared in the paper....then the whole thing died.

It's interesting, if you read history Formula 1 drivers in the 1960's that competed in the Indy 500 while always turning left would earn more money in that race than they could make in a season or a career of F1 depending on where they finished. There is little or no actual racing in Formula 1, first laps are actual crash fests because drivers are so unused to being around other cars. I'm a fan but the actual racing between vehicles/drivers is a joke. Not a NASCAR fan but they do have racing/passing many times during any given race. I still wonder why Formula fans nearly poo themselves when one car passes another due to pit strategy. So technology/strategy goes to F1. Actual racing, I award the Motorcycles running stadiums in the winter, Tomac, Roczen, Webb, Anderson...etc. Those boys come to race!

That's kind of a mind-blowing question to ask an American! But oval-track racing is legacy from America's history. At the dawn of the auto age in the USA, the country was connected across long distances by railroads, but did not have a developed, navigable highway system for automobiles. So after the second car was built, and it became necessary to race the first car, the only tracks available across the country were horse tracks at fairgrounds, which were ovals, driven counterclockwise. So most Americans were introduced to auto racing on oval tracks, and it evolved from there.

Originally Posted by sloinker
It's interesting, if you read history Formula 1 drivers in the 1960's that competed in the Indy 500 while always turning left would earn more money in that race than they could make in a season or a career of F1 depending on where they finished. There is little or no actual racing in Formula 1,

It depends on what you mean race.

The race in F1 takes place back at the shop developing various bits of technology. F1 is a technology race not a road race.
Then, every couple of weeks, they get together at a track and see who is making forward progress and who is not.

In addition, there is a championship for the shop that has made the most forward progress called the World Constructor Championship (WCC) which is how money is awarded.
World Drivers Championship (WDC) is merely for brownie points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back