Bought a VW DieselGate Passat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ladies and gents! Just retired my Subaru Legacy GT with 178k on the clock and bought a little more roomy, family car now that I have a daughter that is 5'7" tall. Found a killer deal at the local VW dealer on a 2014 Passat "BuyBack" car with 40k miles and full service done, new tires, brakes, rotors, etc. It is a CPO with 2 year unlimited warranty as well. So far I love it! Has the DSG trans and is getting decent mileage (Double what my Subaru got that required premium 93 octane fuel) so I'm definitely saving at the pump even with the price of diesel being higher than regular.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of the Euro plate I put on the front (yes my wife is a pure Kraut so she approved )
smile.gif
smile.gif

IMG_1744.JPG

How are the trans in these Passats? Reliable?

Been looking at cars and I see some really good deals on this era TDI.

Did people really ditch these over the emissions thing?

Originally Posted by redhat
Did people really ditch these over the emissions thing?

Good way to get rid of the car if you wanted something else.

What did you pay? The only thing I didn't like about those vehicles was the $400 transmission service. What is your MPG with the new software?

Thanks Fellas, I wanted to put the text it all German but I have a hard enough time explaining its meaning to people now! lol

It is averaging 42mpg on my daily commute with mixed traffic and highway. I'm lead footed so that doesn't help. Many have reported 50+ highway even with the new software and fixes

Overall, I like the DSG trans, its a little sluggish in first, seems to take a min to get into boost and then the torque comes on and it takes off. The sport mode and manual shift mode work pretty decently. They do make a trans tune for these that is supposed to really pep them up but its rather salty (~$600)

The DSG service every 40K is a bit pricey but I'll do it myself and save the coin, cost for fluid and filter is around $150.

Hardest part is finding the VW spec'd 507 oil on the shelf. I'm not a mail-order-oil guy, I like to walk into NAPA or Walmart and buy my oil, go home and do the OCI while drinking a cold one.

"Hardest part is finding the VW spec'd 507 oil on the shelf. I'm not a mail-order-oil guy, I like to walk into NAPA or Walmart and buy my oil, go home and do the OCI while drinking a cold one."

Congrats and welcome to the dark side.

You can likely walk into most NAPAs and find LiquiMoly oil on the shelf that conforms to 507.00 spec. It will be pricey though. My advice: motor on over to idparts.com and get everything you need, then over to tdiclub.com and sign up. There are many helpful folks there who have and love these cars (I also frequent the forums there, same name) and there is a dedicated subforum for the Passats. You'll be glad you did.

Enjoy the ride.

Hardest part is finding the VW spec'd 507 oil on the shelf. I'm not a mail-order-oil guy, I like to walk into NAPA or Walmart and buy my oil, go home and do the OCI while drinking a cold one. I used rotella t6 low saps oil good for dpf.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
nice car, but you should look for a plate with : schmutziger Diesel

more political than schmutziger Diesel

always pleased with VAG cars, 2001 jetta 1.8T 200 thou traded on a 2001 audi TT 225Q roadster with 38 thou car fax certified miles, both tuned plus!! almost bought a diesel before the jetta but after driving it picked the jetta, got 34 mpg stock on pee gas then 30 TUNED!!

Originally Posted by racin4ds

Hardest part is finding the VW spec'd 507 oil on the shelf. I'm not a mail-order-oil guy, I like to walk into NAPA or Walmart and buy my oil, go home and do the OCI while drinking a cold one.

Just wait for Napa to put M1 5W30 ESP on sale and pick up a couple of oil changes worth. It typically goes on sale for $5.99 every couple of months.

It's worth noting too that the dieselgate cars have an absolutely insane warranty as well.

People ditched them over the emissions thing because of the amount of money they got back from VW on the buyback. I know a couple of folks who really wanted to keep the car, but just couldn't pass up the deal. One of them ended up re-purchased what was almost the same car, for about 5K under the buyback price.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Thought you guys would get a kick out of the Euro plate I put on the front (yes my wife is a pure Kraut so she approved )
smile.gif
smile.gif

Ya don't have spell check?

Originally Posted by JOD
People ditched them over the emissions thing because of the amount of money they got back from VW on the buyback. ...

Exactly. A friend of mine had a diesel Jetta wagon, he couldn't resist the buyback offer as an opportunity to get a newer vehicle.

I would question the longevity of rubber components. Many vehicles involved in the "buy backs" sat for many, many months. AS witnessed by the year and millage of the vehicle you purchased. Any rubber underneath will need replacing far before normal intervals-IMHO.

The dealer is supposed to be "reconditioning" where needed but I have already read cases where this either wasn't done-or the vehicle wasn't inspected thoroughly.

Last edited:
nice, I see these showing up every now and then for $10k around me.

Kinda tempted at times. But i dont know too many shops that work on TDI normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back