What paint brand do you like?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Another vote for Sherwin Williams. If they didn't exist then Benjamin Moore.

and their logo triggers all the Environmentalist....
[Linked Image from dowitcherdesigns.com]

I have an almost full gallon of Glidden Gripper which is a white primer. Is this an okay primer to use then I can go SW or BM for paint?

Benjamin Moore, California Paints and Sherwin Williams use the best colorants while most other paints use what are called universal colorants.
I prefer Benjamin Moore. I had a custom home built and the painter used BM paint exclusively and the colors have a certain pop to it.
BM claims you cant recreate their colors with other brand paints because of their Gennex colorant system.

Where Sherwin Williams wins is having the best network of retail stores. SW makes both horrible and very good paints from what I've heard in their vast product line.

The best paint I used myself was PPG Manor Hall from a PPG company paint store. Excellent product, cutting in with a brush and rolling blends in like it was sprayed but doesn't have the almost magical color pop BM has.

Valspar required me to do 2 coats when I used it. Always liked Behr though. We used Sherwin Williams at the machine shop I used to work at, most expensive paint I ever picked up. 10 gallons ran $400-$500 IIRC!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Valspar required me to do 2 coats when I used it. Always liked Behr though. We used Sherwin Williams at the machine shop I used to work at, most expensive paint I ever picked up. 10 gallons ran $400-$500 IIRC!

Yeah, I got sticker shock when I picked up paint from National Oilwell/Varco, the red is the most expensive!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Paint quality is very important , so is prep of surfaces.

This by far is the best post.

Good paint on a poorly prepped surface is like putting lipstick on a pig.

If you care and want lasting color: Ben Moore or Kelly-Moore. Ben Moore makes their own colorants, everyone else has to use universal tinters. Kelly-Moore tried using the same BASF tinters as Behr but the pros were complaining.
If you don't care about color but want something that holds up surprisingly well: Behr. The new Glidden ain't bad, PPG revived them.

For me, I started with Benj Moore. back in the 80's Linseed oil and gum turpentine. Oil base paint is a PITN and the latex has much improved. Current fave is Sherwin Williams. Simply due to the fact that an SW store opened closer to me.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Paint quality is very important , so is prep of surfaces.

This by far is the best post.

Good paint on a poorly prepped surface is like putting lipstick on a pig.

On the flip side...economy tier paint on a well prepped surface can look good AND last a very long time.

Sherwin Williams. Cost more but goes further than cheaper paints I've used before. In the end, it wasn't that much higher and looks great.

I always go with Consumer Reports latest I.e. Behr Ultra for Exterior
The problem with Consumer reports is that they go for value and Behr is the value pick. When the labor for painting is much higher than the cost of paint, it pays to get the best paint and not have to do the job again for a few extra years. For interior paint when you might paint the place again in a few years, makes sense to pick cheap interior paint where it won't matter if it lasts or not. But for exterior, you don't want to pay thousands every few years to get it repainted.

Benjamin Moore. I’ve used some Glidden/PPG exterior paint recently on a different property that will be easy to re-do if I need to… and it seems ok. But time will tell.

Back