"Just buy the cheapest oil you can find at Walmart"

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperTech is also Dexos 1 gen 2 licensed and is one of the cheapest full synthetic motor oils. So is the new Costco full synthetic.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by daves87rs
Still one of the better places to buy not on sale oil...... :)

It really is, if the oil is a Warren product you know you're getting a very good product for a very reasonable price, it's a fair deal, dare I say "honest deal"?
I'm not a fan of Wally World, but I can't fault them on US produced motor oil products. Most SuperTech product is made in the USA so that's a definite plus.
I'm not sure about the 5w-40 that might be an exception made in Europe. Anyone know?

Here is a jug of 5w30 beside a jug of Euro 5w40. The jugs are nearly identical . Also, the labeling in the back of the jugs were nearly identical. Knowing that from the Dexos license one jug was made by Warren Distribution, I'd have to say both were.

E8C08032-5333-4963-A424-54A390BB32D4.jpeg

2E98F701-9C60-464D-9D7B-D20CFD0AB554.jpeg

42421058-F461-4DF9-9398-F1E05A6D9FC6.jpeg

I'm in the bin of "use the cheapest in spec oil you can find for your application that meets OEM specs"
Not neccesarily walmart, as I tend to avoid walmart at any chance I can get.

That being said,
Plenty of people on here dumping expensive oil at 5k when something like 1.89$/qt Shield Choice or 9.99$/5qt Traveller/Harvest King would have been sufficient for that 5k oci.

Last edited:
Meijer (midwest supermarket chain) has its own line of synthetics and they carry the Dexos 1 Gen 2 licensing as well, because I believe it is a Warren product. I just checked the Kirkland Signature bottle, it is identical to Meijer's bottle (not surprising) just a different color.

9 times out of 10, that advice works. It's not bad advice IMO, but yes some responses require a bit more thought.

The Volvo and the Chevy in my signature are excellent examples of opposites. The Volvo being something you don't want to "read and follow your manual," which is another popular canned response here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
I'm in the bin of "use the cheapest in spec oil you can find for your application that meets OEM specs"

That being said,
Plenty of people on here dumping expensive oil at 5k when something like 1.89$/qt Shield Choice or 9.99$/5qt Traveller/Harvest King would have been sufficient for that 5k oci.

I will be dumping Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (expensive oil) at 4K OCIs. If Supertech would write on their website specs that Supertech syn cleans better than all leading gas oils, I'd buy Supertech.

Besides, I can afford to pay a few dollars more. I have plenty of money and we live modestly / almost frugal in most ways. .

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

That being said,

I will be dumping Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (expensive oil) at 4K OCIs. If Supertech would write on their website specs that Supertech syn cleans better than all leading gas oils, I'd buy Supertech.

Besides, I can afford to pay a few dollars more. I have plenty of money and we live modestly / almost frugal in most ways. .

And that's your choice in the land of the free
34.gif

But there are countless times where I've seen people reccomend something like Amsoil and a Fram Ultra to a new member for their 1999 Corolla or Civic, which is crazy imo

That being said,

And that's your choice in the land of the free
34.gif

But there are countless times where I've seen people reccomend something like Amsoil and a Fram Ultra to a new member for their 1999 Corolla or Civic, which is crazy imo

Facts!

When my nephew took possession of our aging mother's 1996 Corolla, which ran great at the time, I serviced it with Mobil 1 EP and an extra life oil filter because I knew the only maintenance he'd be doing is filling the gas tank LOL. I gave it the best chance for survival that I could, without dumping too much money into the maintenance of an aging econobox. I have no idea what happened to that car but it was a wonderful little beater.

Originally Posted by DGXR
When my nephew took possession of our aging mother's 1996 Corolla, which ran great at the time, I serviced it with Mobil 1 EP and an extra life oil filter because I knew the only maintenance he'd be doing is filling the gas tank LOL. I gave it the best chance for survival that I could, without dumping too much money into the maintenance of an aging econobox. I have no idea what happened to that car but it was a wonderful little beater.

He must have been related to a couple of my step children.

Originally Posted by Whammo
Just curious why people who recommend that on every thread are even on this forum? If all certified oil is equally good, what is the purpose of perusing this forum?

It's not that all oil is equally good - it's any certified oil is good enough .....
That being said now I look for the best "value" (to me)
After ~5 yrs here I came to realize that "the best oil" was the one that filled my needs at the cheapest price.

I seldom come to the passenger car motor oil forum nowadays but hang out down below in Gen & off topic, electronics, humor and such .
BITOG is still my homepage after almost 15 years.

First of all, without certification and test data it is hard to just trust a product over another, unless the consumers know what they are doing (a domain expert). So, as long as the customers are buying the certified product, they can't tell which one is better than another (they think they know based on marketing, but it is hard to tell without test data). Car manufacturers know, so they only spec based on the cheapest barely acceptable oil they already certified, with some safety margin.

People with domain knowledge will then buy "better" or "cheaper" by tweaking their own purchases. They will buy extended drain, high mileage, sludge cleaning (i.e. Valvoline Premium Blue Restore), top shelf synthetic (i.e. for racing), different viscosity, etc after they learn what they want to achieve.

So, to recommend the cheapest oil that pass spec makes a good starting point.

Without a band name label on the bottle - it is just junk oil.

Thomas Pennzoil
Millionaire
I own a mansion and a yacht

That being said,

PUP 5W20 or 5W30 is a fine synthetic oil for most applications - looks and smells pure when being poured into a empty crank case waiting for it's next 4K oil fill ... I bet it makes you feel good every time you push the ignition start button on (and that's what matters most) !

Originally Posted by metroplex
Change every 5k miles to be on the safe side. Once EVs start dominating the market, the only maintenance items you'd have to consider are tires and maybe brakes. No more coolant, trans fluid, engine oil, gear oil, transfer case fluid, etc... to worry about.
That's a valid observation, but I think the EVs may still have a coolant loop. The inverter that sits between the battery and the electric motor has a pretty significant cooling demand.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by metroplex
... Once EVs start dominating the market, the only maintenance items you'd have to consider are tires and maybe brakes. No more coolant, trans fluid, engine oil, gear oil, transfer case fluid, etc... to worry about.
That's a valid observation, but I think the EVs may still have a coolant loop. The inverter that sits between the battery and the electric motor has a pretty significant cooling demand.
There are gears, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back