Power Seerng Fluid vs ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it came with ATF when new.

Unless its a custom/special fluid like Honda for example I use ATF. I have found that ATF works as good or better than general steering fluids.

For the last 30 years I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps in all my Fords. To date, haven't had a pump fail yet.

If you so desire, you can buy Toyota Dexron III off eBay. About $8/qt

Man.... I would and have just gotten a Dex Merc for $3.49 a quart... Warren Oil makes one for that price. And it has worked very well in the lady's 98 Camry.

I grabbed a Valvoline muti off the shelf today (blue, not MaxLife) … interesting to see it was Dex VI approved … but "recommended" for Mercon LV ?

Kind of makes sense 4wd.... I have heard that Dexron IV and Mercon LV are actually quite close in terms of viscosity and additives.

I have used Castrol that carried both D6 & MLV … and there is a ST that does too.
(not in my store, but at Walmart.com).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
For the last 30 years I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps in all my Fords. To date, haven't had a pump fail yet.

Ford specifics to use Mercon in their steering so that M1 ATF is appropriate.
I saw people destroying the steering rack on Ford's because they put in normal Steering Fluid, without reading the manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1

Yup, I've done this as well, no issues ever.

Keep it simple..
wink.gif

Yeah, both Ford and Toyota Owner Manuals specify to use ATF in their power steering. So why is everyone that they "have no issues following that"??? Isn't that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back