Goldwing parts sticker shock!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
Says its made in USA.

"Made" or "Assembled"? The ones that have said "assembled" were likely made by Toyo Roki (formerly Filtech) and the others that state "made" are likely fram built. is the part number 15410-MFJ-D01?

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I don't understand why $14 for an oil filter is such a big deal; for a filter that's changed, what, once a year?

Scott

Because you can get a comparable filter for less than $5. If you want to pay 3x for this and that and this and that because you only use a few a year, be my guest. Glad you are not in charge of my checkbook.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I don't understand why $14 for an oil filter is such a big deal; for a filter that's changed, what, once a year?

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'm with Scott.
05.gif

How much do you two pay for oil filters ?

With all due respect, the price of an oil filter is a non-issue for me. For my German fleet I buy Hengst, for my Honda I buy the Filtech OEM A01 filters. Honestly, I have no idea what I paid for them. And it's not that I forgot. Oil filters are so inexpensive in the big scheme of things they're something I don't price shop. I shop by brand and supposed quality.

Scott

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Using Fram look up for 95 GoldWing two filters show. Ultra XG6607, and motorcycle application 6017A. Latter ~$6.50 WM all day. XG6607, ~$9 WM all day. I'd bet dollars to donuts the XG significantly more efficient than OEM (Amazon shows OEM for ~$11). And it's a Gold filter for Gold Wing. That just a quick check. I'm sure some crossing of 6607 application to Wix/Napa Gold will find similar lower cost thier applications.

I happened to find out that people were running the XG7317 (larger version of the XG6607) on the XSR900, so that's what I went with. The XG6607 is about the same size as the OEM Yamaha oil filter. The XG7317 was a little tight getting it on, but fits fine once down tight on the filter mount. Probably overkill size wise, but hey why not.
grin2.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5107972/

^^ Agree ^^
Buying a filter from a dealer will always be full retail.

I personally would not use a automotive filter, but that's just me. Some motorcycle filters have a lower bypass valve open pressure then a standard automobile, not that it might matter much but who knows, motorcycle filters aren't that expensive.
When my local Harley dealers started getting higher in cost, I went and now using HiFlo filters which is a world wide respected oil filter maker and killer nice OEM weight and feel to them.
I think they also make some K&N branded stuff.
http://www.hiflofiltro.com

You can look up the filter on the above site or just google the model of your bike with Hiflo in it.
For some Wings its the Hiflo HF204 - cost is $7.34 on Dennis Kirk on line or $8.76 on Amazon

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
For comparison, I wonder what a Harley dealer would charge for an oil filter for a 1995 Ultra Classic?

Last HD filter I saw was eight bucks.

wix sl1000
k&n204
Mobil-1 M1-108 or M1-110
Bosch 3300 or 3323
Purolator PL14612 or 14610. (Not the ML-series filters but the PL, PBL etc.)
Fram PH6017a

goldwing filter = triumph trophy filter

Originally Posted by splinter
Yeah seems some motorcycle and marine consumables are deemed extra special and priced accordingly.
And ime, you can add OPE oil filter applications to that list. I always run an automotive application filter in place of the OPE filter. Wix/Napa Gold 5/1348 or Motorcraft 910S good alternatives to many B&S, Kohler et.al. OEM applications. And those use silicone adbv as opposed OPE nitrile. Same goes here, many automotive application filters use silicone adbv as opposed to nitrile for the MC application. Personally like the OPE I don't believe the MC filters are anything special, and generally significantly higher priced than automotive equivalents. I'd have no problem running an automotive equivalent size application. Only time I might deviate from that, if cycle under warranty which topic GW isn't.

And not surprised to read Zee running an XG or trying to squeeze the slightly longer 7317 on a Yamaha.
56.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac
And not surprised to read Zee running an XG or trying to squeeze the slightly longer 7317 on a Yamaha.
56.gif

LoL, yeah ... the delta-p across that 7317 is probably close to zero.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
For comparison, I wonder what a Harley dealer would charge for an oil filter for a 1995 Ultra Classic?

The OEM oil filter is up to around $13 for my 14 Road King and why I started buying HiFlo filters.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

The OEM oil filter is up to around $13 for my 14 Road King and why I started buying HiFlo filters.

Just checked: I was charged $8.09 at a dealer for the filter on my Sporty. Chrome was $1 more.

I'm as cheap as the next guy and would rather pay less than more. However, some consider the premium to be the entrance fee for putzing around the dealership looking at chrome and kicking tires on new/used bikes. Plus someone has to cover the bill on taking up the time of sales folks when one has no intention of buying and asking parts questions so folks can go online and buy the right one. Heck, others consider the premium to be like making a deposit into some account helping to assure the dealer might be around in the future when you might actually need them. Now if it was a $200 part you could get for $75 elsewhere then we can talk!
smirk.gif

or go right to the source HiFlo if the cost is high ...

in the case of the Sporty, without question $8 is reasonable.

$12+ to me is nuts when I can get ... ? Yup! HiFlo filters which may even make the OEM people buy.

Not only that, just like automobiles, almost no one in this forum buys OEM automobile filters for their cars or trucks.
I could make the argument that HiFlo filters are the world standard for quality power sport aftermarket filters of OEM quality and better! :eek:)

(Emgo is another brand, less well known to the consumer)

Last edited:
OP, If you ever have to replace the oem headlight bulbs "among other things" from a dealer on your Goldwing......be sure to sit on the stool at the parts counter before asking the price. After market is normally your friend.

Last edited:
I just bought an oil filter for my wife's '11 Equinox and paid $20 for it. It's a Mobil 1 that says it's good for 20,000 mile of use. I plan on doing at least 2 oil changes while using that filter. Maybe 3 if I get lazy. If the bike listed in the op's list is correct, a '95 with 28k miles on it, I would do at least 2 oil changes using the same filter. So $14 or $7 a year, for 2 years isn't that outrageous.,,,

I ALWAYS change the filter with the oil ,,,bike has been down for 2 seasons due to a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery,,,,the whole point of my post was WOW 14.00 for a filter ,,, and 8.79 a quart for Honda oil???the mark up is crazy

I haven't seen bypass valve operation being an issue when using an automotive filter on a motorcycle in terms of anyone reporting a failure based on that. It's one of those things that gets lots of debate but if your oil goes into bypass you have more problems than the filter being used.

If I had a GL 1800, it would use the same filter as my 2006 Honda Civic and 2010 Acura TL SH AWD. 150,000+ miles on both of them on Super tech and Fram filters. Use them with confidence.

Originally Posted by Bonz
I haven't seen bypass valve operation being an issue when using an automotive filter on a motorcycle in terms of anyone reporting a failure based on that. It's one of those things that gets lots of debate but if your oil goes into bypass you have more problems than the filter being used.

If I had a GL 1800, it would use the same filter as my 2006 Honda Civic and 2010 Acura TL SH AWD. 150,000+ miles on both of them on Super tech and Fram filters. Use them with confidence.

Yeah, but I am saying for reasonable cost you can get a superior OEM feel HiFlo filter which I would much prefer over a Super Tech or Fram.
As far as speculation on the bypass pressure, its really nothing that needs to be debated except the facts as we know them and its a fact some motorcycle oil filters that come OEM are designed with a low bypass pressure, we know that as fact, now does that matter?

The debate is if you are using an automotive filter, is your engine starving for oil because the bypass valve pressure is too high? Yes, its a big debate and I doubt it matters very much, but lets look at the one fact that we do know and is indisputable, some OEM motorcycle filters DO come with a lower bypass valve pressure then same size automotive filters that will fit the bike.
Ummmm .. your oil filter goes into bypass EVERYTIME you start your bike or car.

SO I dont even know why the debate of whether is matters or not is out there, its fact and all these oil forums and discussions in all these forums are about taking better care of the vehicle, many are will to discount this fact. I guess the motorcycle maker just decides oh, lets make our oil filter specs lower then the automobile industry because??

No debate needed, they all do their job and I am sure the oil filter pressure difference (on a small number of bikes) from a automobile filter is not going to kill any engine over time but, to me doing the right thing?
Ill take the HiFlo's though. For around $7 the quality feel is the same and better as any high end filter and much, much, much better then the base Fram plus its made for the motorcycle industry.
(you do need to hunt around online a bit to find the prices I mention) You can get the part number if need be from HiFlo website and search that way or go to individual retailers websites.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com

___ (no I dont work for HiFlo! *L* Emgo is another filter brand with OEM quality. I love the fact that the filters come "sealed" with plastic just like OEM. Depending on design, also with ORings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back