F-150 trucks in the past 10 years

I am interested in a used Ford F-150. Which model years had the least issues (overall) and should be on the top of my list?

Will be a daily driver commuting 60 miles 5 days per week, but will be towing 5,000 lbs (total trailer and cargo weight) about 25 times per year.

Open to any engine and transmission combination as long as it is proven to last.

4x4 is a must

That is a very open question. Budget? The 2and gen 2017+ 2.7 with 10 speed is a great combo. Don't think you will find a trouble free f150. I have a 2018.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
That is a very open question. Budget? The 2and gen 2017+ 2.7 with 10 speed is a great combo. Don't think you will find a trouble free f150. I have a 2018.

Budget of $20,000

My employer has a fleet of 10 F150 trucks, all within 4 years old, all of them over 100K (or much more) miles. At the top of my head, I can remember a water pump repair, a speaker that blew out and a bad vacuum hose that disabled the 4X4. That's been about it for repairs. Overall, they've been pretty reliable..

I drive a 2014 F150 company truck with ~ 100,000 miles . No major repairs , yet .

My previous truck was a 2007 Chevy C1500 with 240,000 miles . It developed a cold start tic , tic , when the temp got to around freezing , in the morning .

All of them will require brakes , tires wiper blades and other occasional repairs .

Do not know about recent 5.0l's , especially in trucks . I had the 3.02 Ford engines in a 1969 & a 1970 full size car . Completely happy with those engines .

I am leery about turbos . I would shy away an EcoBoost . The 5.0l would be something I would look at . If I did not require quite that much power , I would consider a normally aspirated V-6 .

I've got 3 of the things.

2009 lariat 5.4L V8 4x4
2011 3.5 ecoboost 2x4
2018 2.7 ecoboost 4x4

All supercrew, all have been reliable, but the 2009 is starting to show it's age. It's most major repair was replacing the 2ea O-rings on the transmission electrical connector, which leaked fluid. The others have had no repairs.

By far, the 2018 is a better truck. Love the 2.7 and 10 speed. However, the V8 is the most pleasant on a trip, as it's super responsive (has a tune) and ultra smooth.

The 2011 sounds like a UPS truck and I find it annoying and tiring on long trips.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Do not know about recent 5.0l's , especially in trucks . I had the 3.02 Ford engines in a 1969 & a 1970 full size car . Completely happy with those engines .

I am leery about turbos . I would shy away an EcoBoost . The 5.0l would be something I would look at . If I did not require quite that much power , I would consider a normally aspirated V-6 .

...which have nothing in common with the current 5.0L besides the displacement.

2015-2017 w/ 5.0, you get the proven 6speed and the new cab that has more room than the previous gen. Your budget is tight though.

Originally Posted by MParr
For a $20,000 budget, I would recommend something like I just bought. I picked up a 2014 STX (4x4) with the 3.7 Duratec V-6. I love how quiet and refined that engine is.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5356025/1

I just bought a 2011 4x2 from a contractor that had only 82,000 miles with that engine drivetrain. The 5.0L will probably be easier to find but I'd steer clear of the EB motors. There were timing chain issues with the early models and they are just generally more complex.

The 3.7 V6 has plenty of power for me but if towing is a priority I'd lean towards the 5.0L. I plan on driving mine for the next 15-20 years.

My son now drives my purchased new 5.4 2002 F150 with over 200K on it and still purrs like a kitten doesn't leak or burn any fluids and only a fuel pump was replaced at 190K. Used Mobile1 fluids its whole life. From my understanding 2002 was last of the plain old engine type of vehicle but just enough tech to make it dependable. the EGR Valve was very simple and nothing else tech wise to go wrong and throw CEL. Some of its Longevity I attribute to the old Superchips box tightening up the mushy transmission so clutches did not wear out yet. The engine also perked up nicely over stock. Get something older and get it tuned you will notice a difference.

Last edited:
OP here

The Tundra seems to be a favorite as well. How do these two specific trucks compare?

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 4x4, 5.7L V8, 90k miles, asking $18,000

2013 Ford F-150 XLT, 4x4, 5.0L V8, 84k miles, asking $19,500

Ford comes with more add ons like leveling kit, spray in bed liner, tinted windows, bed cover

I am focused on overall reliability and longevity.

I'd pick the Toyota over the Ford

The add-ons you list for the Ford can always be purchased later. Some Line-X shops also do Krown
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I'd pick the Toyota over the Ford

The add-ons you list for the Ford can always be purchased later. Some Line-X shops also do Krown
smile.gif

+2

I'd go with the Tundra out of those two, and avoid trucks with "leveling kits". Usually it just means they cranked down on the torsion bars and it will ride like a school bus.

No torsion bars on a f150 going back to 2004 heritage models.

Not a fan of the leveling kits as they increase axle angles in the front suspension.

I'd buy solely based on condition with anything much past 7 years old. Not concerned with brand so much at that point.

With your budget the Tundra would be a good choice. Also with what you plan to do with it the 11-14 F150 5.0 would be a go choice as well. 1st gen Coyote is reliable with an excellent, and stout 6 speed backing it up. The 360hp, and 380 ft lbs will haul your trailer easily.

The Tundra you listed will be a stronger puller with its 381hp, and 401 ft lbs.

We run several at work, had ranged from 2013, several 2016's and now a couple 2018's. We run them pretty hard and overall they seem somewhat solid. Main issues: Lost a rear axle tube on a 2013, it just fell out. Had the rear axle bearings go out on a 2016. 2 of the 3 2016's had IWE issues right out of the gate. Constant grinding, eventual IWE failure. Had to have vacuum lines, solenoids and IWE's replaced. 2 of the 3 2016's have had constant issues with the 5.0L engines. Have had all sorts of cam phasors, control solenoids, oil weights changed to really no avail. Constant stalling, lugging, low on power and poor fuel economy. I also found all the newer generation (2014+) are skittish on washboards. They have a propensity to dance their a55 all around.

Those a few of the main issues we have run into. Other than that and my opinion on Ford's in general, they F150 is quite a capable truck off road.

Back