LL oil is BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 BMWs and the extended OCI is BS.
Long Life oil? Is it about the life of your oil (no!) or the life of your engine!
M is for Motor in "BMW"
(That now is for Marketing)

I run Redline oil exclusively in my cars -
They love it.
M52TUB25
M54B30
S65B40
And these engines are spanking clean on the inside with old school standard OCIs.... never past 4K — I've posted pics of M52TU to prove it.
All the talk here about certs make me laugh. LL98, LL01 etc. I never subscribed to it even back to the beginning when I factory-ordered my new ‘02 E46 M54 3 liter. Free maintenance 15k OCIs! And now modified to 10k OCIs. Absurd. I never went to the dealer for these. Did them separately with an ind. garage.
The M54 doesn't burn a drop, and runs like the wind, esp. with stage 3 Dinan SW.
-now I take my RL oil to my friend who is an ace mechanic at my local dealer.
Cheap oils? IMNSHO- Penny wise and pound foolish. If I had the turbo BMWs of today I'd have even more reason to use RL oil.
However-
I keep my cars and I enjoy zero payments while having cool high performance cars to choose from. Some folks today are short term with their rides (lease) and don't go for the nth degree in car care. I get it -
"YMMV"

(Rant end)

What brought about the rant?

If that practice works for you, have at it, RedLine is a great product. But that doesn't mean you have to tell folks following OEM recommendations that what they're using or doing is "BS".

Maybe someone just became a Redline distributor
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
Maybe someone just became a Redline distributor
smirk2.gif

That is what I was thinking. Sure was pushing that brand. Then again, might just have been too much morning coffee.
13.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
What brought about the rant?

If that practice works for you, have at it, RedLine is a great product. But that doesn't mean you have to tell folks following OEM recommendations that what they're using or doing is "BS".

He's wrong with some of his info.

Not sure why the rant, but the certs just make looking for a "decent" oil easier for most of the population that buys BMWs, and easier for cars still in warranty. I've ran LL01 oils on all my BMW since 2000 and I have never left the oil in for more longer than 5k miles.

I have used OEM 5w30 in warranty and Castrol 0w40 since then on my 2007 550i for 120k miles, only issue I have (which may pertain to oils used) is leaking valve cover gasket and other gaskets, but the gaskets are relatively "old" now so I'm not surprised.

So you are changing the oil with a good oil every 4k, and talking about how clean the engines are... But that just seems obvious to me. I would hope they would be clean.

This does nothing to prove LL is good or bad.

LongLife intervals can be good if you only do long trips on the highway
Probably BS if you do 20k miles per year all made up from 2 mile short trips.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
So you are changing the oil with a good oil every 4k, and talking about how clean the engines are... But that just seems obvious to me. I would hope they would be clean.

I had the same thoughts.

If RL is super duper yo should be able to go at LEAST 7K miles on it.

And over-changing oil SHORTENS the life of the engine.

So a proper OCI is not Bologna or pennywise.

Though 20k mile on garbage gasoline in the States with "Average" PAO synthetic lL oil is a push I would guess. And Likely poor maintenance.

I was a 5-6k mile oil changer; but the wife drives 24K a year and we are shooting for 8-10K mile oci. Last two UOA reports were WAY BETTER than universal averages for the shorter manufacturer recommended interval.
and the engine has maintained good fuel mileage and runs well - for a FB20
smile.gif

On another note, I just put expensive, long life MOTUL 508 00 in the VW "overstressed" 1.4tsi and I don't like the performance or noise or oil usage

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JamesGames
Not sure why the rant, but the certs just make looking for a "decent" oil easier for most of the population that buys BMWs, and easier for cars still in warranty. I've ran LL01 oils on all my BMW since 2000 and I have never left the oil in for more longer than 5k miles.

I have used OEM 5w30 in warranty and Castrol 0w40 since then on my 2007 550i for 120k miles, only issue I have (which may pertain to oils used) is leaking valve cover gasket and other gaskets, but the gaskets are relatively "old" now so I'm not surprised.

Yes your Castrol will work more than just ok and its what less than half the price of the high price spread.

Originally Posted by 330indy
I have 3 BMWs and the extended OCI is BS.
Long Life oil? Is it about the life of your oil (no!) or the life of your engine!
M is for Motor in "BMW"
(That now is for Marketing)

I run Redline oil exclusively in my cars -
They love it.
M52TUB25
M54B30
S65B40
And these engines are spanking clean on the inside with old school standard OCIs.... never past 4K — I've posted pics of M52TU to prove it.
All the talk here about certs make me laugh. LL98, LL01 etc. I never subscribed to it even back to the beginning when I factory-ordered my new ‘02 E46 M54 3 liter. Free maintenance 15k OCIs! And now modified to 10k OCIs. Absurd. I never went to the dealer for these. Did them separately with an ind. garage.
The M54 doesn't burn a drop, and runs like the wind, esp. with stage 3 Dinan SW.
-now I take my RL oil to my friend who is an ace mechanic at my local dealer.
Cheap oils? IMNSHO- Penny wise and pound foolish. If I had the turbo BMWs of today I'd have even more reason to use RL oil.
However-
I keep my cars and I enjoy zero payments while having cool high performance cars to choose from. Some folks today are short term with their rides (lease) and don't go for the nth degree in car care. I get it -
"YMMV"

(Rant end)

Can you tell us your point?

Whatever makes you happy. I'm a Motul fanboy myself where I see varnish from Castrol, and bad QC and bottling from Shell/Pennzoil.

Though I do question why you even bring up the rant at all? Like you care for our responses.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I had the same thoughts.

Though 20k mile on garbage gasoline in the States with "Average" PAO synthetic lL oil is a push I would guess. And Likely poor maintenance.

I was a 5-6k mile oil changer; but the wife drives 24K a year and we are shooting for 8-10K mile oci. Last two UOA reports were WAY BETTER than universal averages for the shorter manufacturer recommended interval.
smile.gif

On another note, I just put expensive, long life MOTUL 508 00 in the VW "overstressed" 1.4tsi and I don't like the performance or noise or oil usage

Wait a minute here, over changing shortens the engine life?? I've never heard this before.

I had the same thoughts.

smile.gif

I've heard about the "early oil changes" causing more wear - but what about annual low mileage heavy duty use cars? My GDI turbo M4 sees only canyons typically, lot of WOT runs, one - two annual track day use /and 15-20 mile highway trips that add up to about 2000-2500 miles annual, which I dump the oil at. I'm afraid of the soot buildup and the GDI turbo cleanliness (or lack of) so I am afraid to go longer. Oil is so cheap at annual changes I don't mind. Thoughts?

I had the same thoughts.

smile.gif

I've heard about the "early oil changes" causing more wear - but what about annual low mileage heavy duty use cars? My GDI turbo M4 sees only canyons typically, lot of WOT runs, one - two annual track day use /and 15-20 mile highway trips that add up to about 2000-2500 miles annual, which I dump the oil at. I'm afraid of the soot buildup and the GDI turbo cleanliness (or lack of) so I am afraid to go longer. Oil is so cheap at annual changes I don't mind. Thoughts?

Keep at it. Like you said, Oil is cheap. No matter the low yearly mileage, once a year oil change, minimum for your car if you want to baby it. If it were a daily, I'd say every 5K miles.

The notion that changing oil early contributes to additional wear is based on a flawed interpretation of one single flawed paper. It was discussed here several times and shown to be misleading and not accurate.

People still refer to the idea but it has no merit.

My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like at 108,000 miles:

[Linked Image]

Yes, LL oil is worthless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back