What paint brand do you like?

I just had new porch posts installed and since the weather is getting nicer, I need to paint them because their natural color is an off white/yellow and they look horrible. They are a resin composite and the manufacturer suggested a "high quality" acrylic (latex) primer and then whatever exterior paint you want. I usually just get Behr or something middle of the road but a lot of people have recommended Benjamin Moore fresh start primer and then their Exterior latex. I am overwhelmed by the options. Any painters here want to weight in?

Home depot Behr is mine. And no I dont really like home depot but their paint is effortless to use and most of the time I never need to do a second coat. Valspar has ALWAYS required me to do 2 coats. I always associated the valspar name with premium and I was wrong.

Well Benjamin Moore's Aura paints are highly rated. It's a Berkshire Hathaway company. I also like Sherwin Williams's Duration exterior paints. Real painters seem to hate Home Depot/Lowes paint.

Benjamin Moore is great paint; you gotta pay top dollar.
Kelly Moore is really good at a better price. But it ain't Benjamin Moore.
Our home in Petaluma was painted (by the mailman) more than 25 years ago with Benjamin Moore.
While Petaluma winters are hardly mid-west level, the paint is still perfect.

Do it once, do it right.

Benjamin Moore but overpriced like Sherwin Williams, you must buy from a paint store that will heavily discount it.

The Best Bang for the Buck is Behr paint. Behr was a very small private paint company until Home Depot signed an exclusive marketing agreement with them. They do have their own R&D Dept as all paint companies do. Paint technology is not a secret anymore, it's whether the company decides to choose to make a better paint and not count the dollars.

I gave up on paint for Lowes or Home Depot about 10 years ago. All of it was hard to work with. I buy Sherwin Williams now, and it goes on really nicely. I'm sure Benjamin Moore is similar.

My 2 cents.

Painters use Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. At least ones I have dealt with. One guy used Behr on inside walls however.

When you are painting a house, the labor is in the thousands and the paint in the hundreds (of dollars). So it does not pay to get cheap paint.

Sherwin have their 30% off till March 25, 2020.

If you can wait till Easter, they usually do a 40% off.

I am not a pro and I don't work for any paint company. I do however DIY maintain my home. I have used a number of brands over the years from many sources and companies. Recently I have taken to using Glidden from Home Depot. I love the price and Glidden has really stepped up the quality of the paint. I will admit there was a line of Glidden that I felt was awful and almost made me turn my back on it for good. After a number of years I decided to try it again. There had been several reformulations and I became a believer that Glidden had overcome their problem.

Now having said all that I will say that whatever brand you use preparing your wall for paint is 90% of the job. Do the preparing right and you will have a high degree of success with whatever paint you use. I have applied this philosophy to all my paint projects and have had excellent luck with many brands and lines of paint.

I do expensive paint (Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore) for exterior and "cheaper" paint for interior.

Originally Posted by E365
I do expensive paint (Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore) for exterior and "cheaper" paint for interior.

I basically do the same. I use one grade cheaper on the interior. Sherwin Williams Superpaint is one step down from Duration but still pretty good and not too much more than regular Behr at Home Depot. I only do Behr if it's a quick job and I'm in HD anyway for a bunch of other stuff. Apartment turnover means that the interior doesn't have to be as good. I've used some good exterior paint that's still looks good 10+ years later.

I am partial to Benjamin Moore as I used to mix and sell it at my old job, but it is hard to find around here. Sherwin Williams stores are plentiful so that's what I've recently been buying and have been pleased with the results.

I'll use Kelly Moore ,the company I worked for had them as a client they are good quality. Pro Painters tell me any major brand paint sold from the pro paint stores are the best choice. The highest quality paint is always the best buy once cry once. Don't forget the prep work is the most important part of the job.

Back