Safe to use Rotella T6 15w40 in BMW M54?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to use T6 15w40 in my 02 BMW 530i? I know that it's diesel oil but I heard that I can use it in my car. Thanks.

I was
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
The engine should survive, but why? Can't you find some other use for this oil?

I've been looking for a fully synthetic 15w40 for my car because the lifters are bleeding overnight. Some tell me use thicker oil and some tell me thinner. I already had a couple of gallons and wanted to see if it would help with my issue. If not, I will try 0w40.

Once probably wouldn't hurt but oil that's only rated for heavy duty diesel applications is generally not recommended to be used in gasoline engines with catalytic converters.

How cold does it get in california? You have to remember that 15w is appropriate for temperatures down to -20c or -4f so I think the viscosity will be ok (is it warm in California?)

if your engine burns a lot of oil and you have a catalytic converter then DONT WORRY, T6 is low saps so will not harm your cat.

So the viscosity is appropriate for the climate, and the additive package is suoitable for the emissions control systems, so yes you can run T6 in your BMW all day long.

FYI T6 is also available in 5w40, incase you plan to start your car in -40f temps.

A thicker oil won't help if they bleed down overnight. You want oil that will reach them quickly upon cold start like a 0w40. Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 would be better choices than a HDEO like Rotella 15w40.

Mobil 0w40, Castrol Edge 5w40, Rotella T6, or Chevron Delo 5w40 should all work well in that engine. Seeing as you've already got a few gallons of the T6 I would give it a shot. you won't hurt a thing. I would give Valvoline Max-life 10w40 a try for the oil change after and see how that helps.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
A thicker oil won't help if they bleed down overnight. You want oil that will reach them quickly upon cold start like a 0w40. Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 would be better choices than a HDEO like Rotella 15w40.

This is not correct. 0w/5w/10w/15w makes NO DIFFERNCE to how quickly the oil reaches any part of the engine - you have to remember that the oil pump is a *positive displacement* device so it will pump the same amount of oil every time it spins round - it doesnt care how think the oil is, it just pumps a fixed volume with every rotation. Thickness doesnt affect how fast oil gets to the top of the engine.

ALSO, your oil filter has somethnig called an *anti drainback valve*. This is a one way valve that lets oil flow into the engine, but does not allow oil to flow backwards toward the sump. its a check valve. SO when your engine is running the oil is getting where it needs to be, and when you turn the engine off the anti drainback valve (one way valve) stops oil from draining back to the sump, it hold the oil in the bearings so that it is there as soon as you turn it over.

Originally Posted by Olas

This is not correct. 0w/5w/10w/15w makes NO DIFFERNCE to how quickly the oil reaches any part of the engine - you have to remember that the oil pump is a *positive displacement* device so it will pump the same amount of oil every time it spins round - it doesnt care how think the oil is, it just pumps a fixed volume with every rotation. Thickness doesnt affect how fast oil gets to the top of the engine.

ALSO, your oil filter has somethnig called an *anti drainback valve*. This is a one way valve that lets oil flow into the engine, but does not allow oil to flow backwards toward the sump. its a check valve. SO when your engine is running the oil is getting where it needs to be, and when you turn the engine off the anti drainback valve (one way valve) stops oil from draining back to the sump, it hold the oil in the bearings so that it is there as soon as you turn it over.

So basically you are saying that everyone can use 20w50 in the winter and see no difference versus a 0w30?

Depends on the lowest temperatures of course. If it gets below the minimal pumping temp of the oil the oil will not pump, but otherwise you are pumping a fixed volume of oil. Thicker oil will have more resistance to flow so it will take more energy to move but it, but it will move at the same rate per rotation of that pump. Hypothetically It may take 100 rotations of the engine to fully charge the oiling system. The only variable will be the time it takes to reach 100 rotations, but it is the rotations that are exposure to wear not the time variable that is usually electronically controlled on startup anyway.

Originally Posted by Olas

So basically you are saying that everyone can use 20w50 in the winter and see no difference versus a 0w30?

There is / are relief valves involved in the oil circuit. Higher viscosity oils do not get to places just as quick. Hydraulic valve clearance compensation devices DO indeed bleed down, no doubt about it. My experience is that properly-low viscosity multigrade oils / clean, fresh oils DO make a material difference.

Thin oils lacking the film strength of the thicker oils to stay in place, drain quicker from the lubricated areas.

What is the coldest temp you see in winter? You have to remember that climate dictates viscosity. In Australia they use 40w70 in the winter because the climate dictates that they do so. In Norilsk, they use 0w16 for summertime track days - its all about climate.

When was the last time the o rings on the oil filter cap were changed? On the tip of the filter stand there should be 2 or 3 little guys, I think theyre green.

Originally Posted by Audios
When was the last time the o rings on the oil filter cap were changed? On the tip of the filter stand there should be 2 or 3 little guys, I think theyre green.

I will change them when I do this oil change.

15w40 is Not a good weight for the vanos operation, which is oil dependent.
5w40 Redline would serve you well. It's what I use

Originally Posted by kossimak
Is it safe to use T6 15w40 in my 02 BMW 530i? I know that it's diesel oil but I heard that I can use it in my car. Thanks.

I would not and you will not save any money. You can get cheap in Wal Mart Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40, or Castrol 5W40 or Valvoline 5W40, which are all more suitable for M54.
Depending where you are in CA, 15W should not be an issue, but i would still go with oils I mentioned.

Originally Posted by 330indy
15w40 is Not a good weight for the vanos operation, which is oil dependent.
5w40 Redline would serve you well. It's what I use

That makes no sense. Both are a 40-grade oil at operating temperature and both are very thick when cold.

Originally Posted by kossimak

It's not only safe, but it's an excellent choice. 15W-40 HDEOs provide the highest level of protection thanks to their very thick base oil, very low VII content, and strong additive package.

I would choose the Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 over the Rotella T6 15W-40. The T4 is a lot cheaper and has many more certifications, and it probably has a higher HTHS and a thicker base oil. The T6 15W-40 is for those who want to squeeze a little longer OCI and don't mind paying extra for that.

So, if you're having problems with this old engine, fill it up with a conventional (Group II) CK-4 15W-40 HDEO like Delo SDE, Delvac 1300, Premium Blue 7700, or Rotella T4, and don't even have a worry. It'll save you a lot of money and solve some of its problems.

So, if you're having problems with this old engine, fill it up with a Group II conventional CK-4 15W-40 HDEO like Delo SDE, Delvac 1300, Premium Blue 7700 8600, or Rotella T4, and don't even have a worry. It'll save you a lot of money and solve some of its problems.

In a warm climate like in California, a Group II conventional CK-4 15W-40 HDEO is A-OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back