Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg!!! Obviously the best time to sell would have been like a month ago then get back in when it's at the bottom, but too late for that now. Am I the only one who believes to just ride it out and wait for it to turn around? Usually after a big downturn it rebounds a good bit past the previous high a year or two later. It doesn't make sense to sell now and lose all the shares. I actually went ahead and bought more, although I should have waited cause I didn't know I could have bought it much cheaper.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Omg!!! Obviously the best time to sell would have been like a month ago then get back in when it's at the bottom, but too late for that now. Am I the only one who believes to just ride it out and wait for it to turn around? Usually after a big downturn it rebounds a good bit past the previous high a year or two later. It doesn't make sense to sell now and lose all the shares. I actually went ahead and bought more, although I should have waited cause I didn't know I could have bought it much cheaper.

no one can time the market except Kreskin.

Originally Posted by wwillson
Buy low - Sell high. For goodness sake, don't sell now

Heavens no don't sell now. I've been out a couple years now. Groping for the re-entry level well that's another thing. To many variables.

I'm not even looking at my portfolio. I haven't gained or lost a penny until I actually execute a sale. Doesn't make sense to do that now.

The only reason I can think of for selling now would be to execute a pre-planned shift from one stock to another, it could minimize the capital gains you'll pay for 2020. But that's still a gamble, and just deferring the capital gains until later when you could be in a lower tax bracket anyway. (Like after you retire)

I moved 90% to bonds. But those are now dropping. Even gold is down. Big players are taking their money out in full, liquid cash. Usually gold and even bonds to a lesser extend stay flat or go up. Not in this case.
frown.gif

I went fairly heavily into bonds and cash in fall '18 which cost me a fair amount of gain in '19. Try not to look, but when I did to take my RMD--tried to stay neutral on investments so it was stock fund for stock fund, it looks like I'm still losing thirty or forty grand a day. Glad I got more conservative or it'd be sixty grand a day. Oh well, it's only paper gains or losses until you take it out.

IMO, this could possibly put us in a worldwide depression. There will be no "V bounce". Stocks and the entire financial system could take DECADES to recover from this.

I hope I'm wrong.

Scott

Been through dot.com, sub prime crash of 2009, now the corona scare.
I stayed invested through dot.com and 2009 crash and it worked out really well for folks that stayed invested in blue chips.

The things I try to do is to not lose your nerve, stop looking at your stock portfolio for a bit and let things play out.

Last edited:
It's a panic low. Are you or anyone you know buying less now then you were a month ago? Unless you are invested in China sit tight.

Honestly, I'd probably start buying now - take advantage of the situation - 20 years ago I bought Boeing stock two days after 911...wish I held on to it....paid $34 dollars a share...two months ago it was like $300. Boeing has gotten killed the past two weeks, same with airlines and cruise lines....might be time to buy and hold.

It's just a response to the coronavirus and measures required to contain it. Once the virus gets contained and travel bans lifted, I foresee it rallying again. It's hysteria breeding more hysteria.

The NHRA made an announcement today that they are postponing most of the Gator Nationals this weekend in Gainesville, FL. That is more scary to me than the coronavirus itself. Cancellation of major events means a lot of lost income for those venues, but the taxman will still be standing there with his hand out.

Time to sell treasuries, buy secure preferred stocks that have no relation to the virus. My fave is RMH-D.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Honestly, I'd probably start buying now - take advantage of the situation - 20 years ago I bought Boeing stock two days after 911...wish I held on to it....paid $34 dollars a share...two months ago it was like $300. Boeing has gotten killed the past two weeks, same with airlines and cruise lines....might be time to buy and hold.

I sold 200 shares of Boeing at around $320 a week or so ago. Holy moly it got hammered. It's down to $171 today.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
I moved 90% to bonds. But those are now dropping. Even gold is down. Big players are taking their money out in full, liquid cash. Usually gold and even bonds to a lesser extend stay flat or go up. Not in this case.
frown.gif

I moved to bonds last week and made $7000 in 5 days. Lost all that plus a little more this week. Moving to the sidelines now.

No choice but to ride it out now for me! I am in and sure as heck am not selling! I might buy at some point when this craziness passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back