Any FW fishkeepers here on the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep community fish, African and South American cichlids in 10g, 55g, 65g and 75g tanks.

Any other aquarium hobbyists here on the forum ?

I have a Red Devil aka Peach, Texas Cichlid aka Tex, and a Blue aka Blue in a 60 gallon.

Peach likes to rip up and move the plants around, so I have given up fighting her. She also bites
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Islandvic
I keep community fish, African and South American cichlids in 10g, 55g, 65g and 75g tanks.

Any other aquarium hobbyists here on the forum ?

I have a sm 20gl fw setup..i keep female Bettas. I have 4 right now with a couple of blk Molly's and 2 Cory's. I've had larger setups when I was doing Oscar's but haven't done that in a while now. I created a thread a while back on fighting black "beard" algae. I think I've got it under control right now... thanks to some advice I got here on BITOG actually.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I have a Red Devil aka Peach, Texas Cichlid aka Tex, and a Blue aka Blue in a 60 gallon.

Peach likes to rip up and move the plants around, so I have given up fighting her. She also bites
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's a YT video of a guy that keeps a RD and he demonstrates how feisty they can be. He says his doesn't normally bite but in his video he gets his RD annoyed to the point he's taking little bites at his hand. After a while he shows you his hand it it's tore up.. multiple little nips that are actually bleeding.

I've never kept a Red Devil but their reputation seems well deserved.
lol.gif

A mix for me. My largest tank is a 75g that is home for an Oscar and a green severum I've had together for 7yrs.

Also have a 55g, a 29g and a 10g. All planted community tanks.

Been in the hobby since the late 1970s, but have only done it 'right' for the past 7-8yrs.

Currently only an empty 5 gallons with live plants. The last of my shrimp died. I gave my dad my fish and broke down the 10 gal and 29 gal when I installed new floors in the house.

I used to have tanks with large cichlids and oscar types. One of the most interesting fish I had was an arowana. Bought a couple with their egg sacks still intact and had them for years. They are born with an sack to keep them going for a few days post hatching. They would only eat food that was moving. Fed them freeze dried shrimp but they wouldn't eat it if it was just floating. I had to get into the filter downstream to make it move and then they'd gobble it up.

Also had a cichlasoma maculicauda. Seems they call that a black belt cichlid today. This was all pre-internet so I was lucky there was a local aquarium guy that knew a lot that I learned from. Also had snakeheads and piranhas. They're a little nuts, those fish. And had the usual convicts, red devil, tilapia type fish.

To anyone waning to start out, a small oscar is a great fish. Hearty, grows quickly, fun fish.

I used to have a 50 with 2 huge beautiful black lace anglefish. and 2 plecostomus. Then a plecostomus,.died. I replaced it and it turns out there is a disease that pretty much eliminated all the angelfish in the USA and it came with the plecostomus,. . I about cried, I had had them for years. I keep thinking how nice a tank would be, but still not ready

Rod

Ive been through tons of fish phases, and planning on another once we move. I loved a set of shell dwelling cichlids I had, they were such interesting fish and started breeding within a few months, so I introduced a few friends to them. A set will do well in a small tank since they barely move away from their shells once established. Watching them clean out their areas and arrange things was fascinating. When I had multiples in a tank, they would carry sand in their mouths and dump into other fish's shells! The last tank I had going was a 90 gallon reef, all types of corals. Was honestly better than tv, could stare at it for hours. Once we get established in our next home, Im planning on a large freshwater with small schooling fish, live plants, shrimp etc.

Originally Posted by Leo99

To anyone waning to start out, a small oscar is a great fish. Hearty, grows quickly, fun fish.

Agreed. That fish eats just about anything it can get in it's mouth. As long as you have the right tank size and maintain the pH, they're great fish to keep. Can be dirty though, that's what i spent most of my time doing when i kept Oscars..cleaning.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Leo99

Agreed. That fish eats just about anything it can get in it's mouth. As long as you have the right tank size and maintain the pH, they're great fish to keep. Can be dirty though, that's what i spent most of my time doing when i kept Oscars..cleaning.

Oscar keeper here. Lots of other fish as well.

They're really no more dirty than any other comparably sized fish. 99% of the time dirtiness is due to what foods you feed your fish. Most fish foods are crap and people tend to feed way too much and way too often. If the first 3 ingredients are grains and fillers, you're going to have lots of waste.

Hikari bio gold+ (has to be the plus) is a really great staple food pellet for large fish. It produces very little waste due to it's ingredient list. There's many other good foods out there too that you can buy off the shelf.

In terms of pH? It means little unless you're keeping some type of sensitive native fish or doing a special breeding project. The main thing is your tank's pH matches your tap water pH. Fish you buy at the store will be acclimated to your area's pH before you bring them home. If you don't keep up on water changes, the tank's pH will over time shift to the point there's a huge delta between tank and tap. That's when you run into a catastrophe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back