Where to source red dye for tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will sound super dumb......but if you get a 2006 era mercon V fluid from ford, castrol, valvoline, and especially pennzoil it had a very vibrant red dye package. It visaully help up well and stayed a nice color for almost the whole duration. Todays mercon v is so light that in 10k its already starting to look bad. Is there any place that dye can be obtained to brighten it up like the old days?

Originally Posted by benjy
brake fluids were dyed different colors, but now its illegal!!

Another random pronouncement. Yes, brake fluid color is regulated by the DOT per 49 CFR 571.116, Standard No. 116. That same standard also regulates many other characteristics of brake fluid and does so for good reason. However no such regulation exists for ATF color, that is done strictly for identification purposes mainly to distinguish it from motor oil.

Oh and that regulation has been around a while, not just "now".

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by benjy
brake fluids were dyed different colors, but now its illegal!!

Another random pronouncement. Yes, brake fluid color is regulated by the DOT per 49 CFR 571.116, Standard No. 116. That same standard also regulates many other characteristics of brake fluid and does so for good reason. However no such regulation exists for ATF color, that is done strictly for identification purposes mainly to distinguish it from motor oil.

Oh and that regulation has been around a while, not just "now".

01.gif

FMVSS 116 has been in effect since 1972
smile.gif

MolaKule is the man to ask. He posted something in recent memory that was a link to colorant additives for oil. I can't find it using a quick search and my wobbly memory, but I know he's the one that has the info.

The color of ATF is determined by the PPM levels of a special red oil soluble dye, usually an analine dye. About 50 PPM results in a faint red color whereas upwards of 250 ppm can result in a blood red appearance.

Somewhere in the QOTD (I can't find it as of now) I mentioned that one of the most expensive components of lubricants is the dye in terms of $/milliliter.

To the op, your question is not dumb or ridiculous, but I do not see any reason to add an expensive chemical that contributes absolutely nothing in terms of performance or protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back