NAG1/W5A580 Behind 5.7 Hemi, 91k Miles, Fluid Change Now or Already Too Late?

Alright I know this might be a controversial topic, but I have had some personal experience with automatic transmissions that crapped the bed immediately following a fluid/filter change. My theory for this is that the clutches are already failing, but the contamination of the fluid gives them the "grit" necessary to continue to function. Once you remove the old fluid and replace it with nice new fluid, the failure of the clutches becomes apparent and you lose function and end up needing a rebuild/replacement.

I just purchased a 2014 Charger R/T with 91k on the clock. The transmission functions perfectly, and I'd like to keep it that way for a long time. Chrysler says the first transmission fluid change should occur at 60,000 if used for police, taxi, or frequent towing (none of these apply, but it was probably hot-rodded a fair bit), or 120,000 under normal driving. At 90k, I'm splitting the difference there almost exactly, and I think the usage is probably somewhere in-between normal and severe duty as well...so it seems like a safe enough bet to go ahead...I'm just nervous about it.

Is there anyone here with significant experience with these transmissions that could speak to this issue and give a recommendation? I would like to add that I just ran a piece of coated cable down the dipstick tube and blotted a small amount of the fluid on a paper towel to check the condition. It's still red, not brown or black, but a dark red. By comparison, I dabbed a little fresh ATF+4 on the towel and it looks pink. So there's some fluid degradation for sure, but it's not in horrible shape. Doesn't smell burnt, but doesn't smell fresh either.

Thanks.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

There is nothing wrong with replacing the fluid if the transmission still shifts fine
smile.gif

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, buy an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future ATF changes much easier

You can use any licensed ATF+4 from Chrysler's official approved list. Even Walmart brand ATF+4 is approved.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The NAG1 is a very tough unit, Change the fluid & sleep well!
+1 As mentioned use only ATF+4, I would not use a universal fluid in that unit.
27.gif

I have purchased 3 Dodge LXs in the past 10 years that were used and had at least 90K miles on their NAG1 transmissions. All worked fine before the fluid and filter change i did, and all worked fine after.

Use ATF +4 and you're golden to do the fluid and filter on yours like you desire.

Back