Here it goes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we have managed to keep this one going for a total of 21 days.
144,000 2011
Pretty sure it gobbled up another turbo today on a very busy interstate hi-way
Pretty sure it got the bottom end this time based on the fact that it won't turn over. Nothing out the side of the block.
Oh someone please tell how good the psd's are again! Please.
[Linked Image]

LOL Furd "powerdeadstroke" strikes again !!

I remember back in my SF days at the garage I was using. the owner bought a then brand new 2005 F450 tow rig and he said its been "Down" 3 times cause of the turbo and other issues.

Dave

The wife had a 7.3 in her 2002 Superduty . Did lots of towing and hauling hay. It was one of the best Vehicles we have owned including 3 Toyota pick ups and a Camry over the years. That said Hope the 18 F350 with the 6,2 gas holds up!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Cue the Ford defenders...

After the 7.3 Powerstroke the rest of Fords diesels they used sucked like a Kirby Vacuum.

I don't give a rats what anyone says about this platform. I have been trying very hard to keep 6 men productive with these trucks and it is just flat not possible to keep these trucks out of the shop. It's not just my crew. ALL of our crews have the same challenges. We work our trucks hard every day. This powertrain will not hold up period.
Say what ya want I don't care!
I followed the tow truck to the dealer so we could get a bunch of tools and cold weather gear out of it and the service manager asked me "If it's another motor are you going to salvage the truck or replace the motor again".
Oh my my my!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Navistar knew how to build an engine back in the day.

Yep, when they were known as International Harvester.

Nine year old Ford super duty truck with two blown engines thus far. Story checks out.

Is there a way to retrofit 7.3 PS into later chassis to put an end to the issue?
Or is it an emissions nono?

Injection pump could have locked up and stop the engine from turning over. I have seen that first hand. These engines are usually good for 20,000-25,000 hours. Before needing over hauls. The one I thought locked up still wouldn't turn over with all the glow plugs out. Got down to the CP3 and it was LOADED with metal. Would not move. Could spin the engine over with my hands after removing the pump.

Only wild card, what is the build date? Early 11s had exhaust valve issues where the ends would break off during regen and usually destroy the affected cylinder(s). There was a manufacturing issue with the valves themselves that caused it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew

Build date?

Did it die during a regen by chance? Any low fuel pressure warning pop up on the IC? I am going to guess HPFP/fuel system failure but definitely curious to what failed. Those cab and chassis turbos are much more reliable than the pickup ones FWIW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back