98 Expedition - Can Anyone Itentify This O-Ring Part Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to replace these O-rings. They are on the rear axle just to one side of the the locking c-clip.
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4
Not sure what they do, I imagine just a dampener of some sort, but they look like they could be replaced if it is an important part.
Dealer could not find part in his system (over phone).
[Linked Image]

Also, does anyone know if the o-ring is supposed to go towards the wheel side of the locking clip or the differential side of the c-clip

O-rings are (almost always) standard sizes. Remove them and take them to an auto parts store, etc and just match them up. Match up based on the cross-section diameter (if I'm looking at them correctly, those are in the 3/16" range. The I.D. and O.D. may have stretched slightly over time so a new one will probably look a little smaller. They're rubber though and stretch.

Are you the original owner? My 98 F150 4x4 with the 9.75 sterling rear end didn't have these orings with the C clips. Should have the same rear as mine.

I cant say for sure but I am guessing that is not original but something that was used to take slack up when they did the bearing job.

I didn't even notice it, since it is so small. I saw it in an online video about changing the gears and someone was mentioning to make sure it goes towards the differential side and the clip seats up against the recessed portion of the gear. The host of the video did not know the reason for it either.

Can't say I have seen those o rings with the C clips either. I would just run it without it

Thanks Trav. I will check it out.
You bring up a good point about HF quality. Part of me is thinking to just keep what I have. After cleaning the shafts and the seals, the O-rings don't look terrible, a couple little nics and blemishes, and still pliable, but overall still in tact.
I thought if It was a part that could be obtained from a reputable source, I would just do it while the shafts were out to be on the safe side.
I find it interesting that most don't even have it. I will want to double check that the clip would not fall out if the o-ring becomes compromised in my application.

Found o-ring at dealer, getting ordered.
I still can't see the purpose. The channel for the c-clip in the shaft is .206 without the o-ring. .152 with the o ring. The c-clip is .204 so no room for it next to the c-clip.
The id of the c-clip is .879, the o.d of the shaft where the c-clip goes without the o-ring is .916 and with the o-ring is .873.

So nearest I can figure is the clip is supposed to go over the o-ring compressing it slightly by .004, perhaps to keep c-clip from sliding off during install, or to prevent metal to metal wear on the shaft or c-clip during rotation.

F75Z-4A332-AB, Sorry about the delay. I am on vacation but have my laptop. I have to wait until my work is closed to check my catalog because my work brought in someone from another store to cover for me. I don't want to kick them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back