Paste Wax or Spray Wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple years ago I began using Turtle Wax Ice and Turtle Wax "Wax And Dry" spray on waxes on my cars. I liked how fast you can wax the whole car, windows and all, when the car is still a little wet and not have to go over it with a dry microfiber cloth.

When I acquired my 2012 Toyota Prius C on January 8, the dealer included a kit with wax, tire shine, and car wash for $189 more. They wouldn't refund my $189 but I've found that the wax gives a better shine than spray waxes. You apply it on a wet applicator and then you have to go over the car with a microfiber cloth to make it shine. This is the type of wax I've used mostly over the past years. Then I got some Simoniz Carnauba Wax that applies the same way.

Is it true that paste waxes give a better shine than spray on waxes?

Not having tried every wax out there but quite a few paste and spray-on brands. The best shine I ever had came from Lucas Spray Wax and Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. I think these two products work better for me than the current application, Meguiar's Ceramic Wax.

The term "wax" is misleading in some of these products.

Simoniz paste wax is a real wax. Meguiars Ceramic Wax is not.

I use spray on and liquid cream waxes. The liquid wax almost always gives a deeper and longer lasting shine.

That being said - I use TW Wax & Dry after every car wash now. I love the stuff; like you said, you can wax the entire car in no more time than it would take to regularly dry it. I used it last back in Oct/Nov and the beading effect is still present.

You should always do a base coat of paste or thick liquid wax that you apply then remove, then maintain with spray waxes/ceramic wax after every few washes. I did this last year, waxed properly in July, then kept applying coats of Meguires ceramic spray on after second or so wash through to November, And has lasted still to this day through the winter. Water/snow/slush beads and slides right off...and after I go through wash still smooth like day I waxed it. Also all washes are touch less or I'll drive in and just use power wash with soap, then rinse....and looks perfect. Whereas as before you still needed to somewhat agitate surface or run something over it or something would always remain, especially in winter and in spots that constantly took a beating, mainly from half way mark of vehicle....more so in front and driver/passenger doors.

Last edited:
I just purchased the Griots green ceramic spray wax, can not wait for snow to melt to apply, advancements of these style of waxes has made life easier on both man and machine!

no more paste or liquid for me. going all spray. can do my vehicle in 1/2 an hour . have found durability pretty good with TW SS .Since its so easy i do it once a month . also i don't have to worry about getting it on black plastic. i spray it on to everything.

Originally Posted by domer10
I just purchased the Griots green ceramic spray wax, can not wait for snow to melt to apply, advancements of these style of waxes has made life easier on both man and machine!

With that product and others like it there is no need for a paste wax coat. These products will hold up as good as anything else.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The term "wax" is misleading in some of these products.

Simoniz paste wax is a real wax. Meguiars Ceramic Wax is not.

I did the car with Simoniz Carnauba wax today. It really seems to leave a great shine. It smells like petrochemicals. The spray on waxes I have don't. I think I'd rather spend a few more minutes using a paste wax and get a better shine for a result. Plus the paste wax shine should last longer so you won't need to apply it as often.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I use spray on and liquid cream waxes. The liquid wax almost always gives a deeper and longer lasting shine.

That being said - I use TW Wax & Dry after every car wash now. I love the stuff; like you said, you can wax the entire car in no more time than it would take to regularly dry it. I used it last back in Oct/Nov and the beading effect is still present.

I'm sure the rain does a wonderful dance on your cars.
smile.gif
It definitely does on mine. I've waxed the car about 6 times in the 2 months I've owned it.

Meguires Ultimate Quick Wax spray on has given me the best shine. May not last quite as long as a paste but it sure shines, Especially white finishes.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
I will stick with my Collinite 845 liquid wax. Shake the bottle well -- wipe on and wipe off. Easy peasy!!!

Agreed. Collinite 845 is so easy to work with, and the shine is absolutely beautiful, I don't know why anyone would waste time and money with spray waxes. Those that complain about how hard 845 is to work with, just aren't doing it right. And the shine lasts for weeks, through numerous car washes. I've never seen a spray wax that makes it through the second car wash, and most of them don't make it through the first.

A good spray wax can help to help maintain the shine of a nice wax job. But by itself, spray wax is not worth the time it takes to apply, when you can apply a real wax and not have to reapply after every car wash.

The idea that you need to use a paste or liquid wax as a base coat and maintain with spray wax is shade tree, weekend warrior detailer anecdotal nonsense. The newer spray waxes last as long or longer for water beading, sheeting and shine/appearance as any paste wax or liquid product.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of waxes out there, so I'm not willing to say that a given spray wax outshines any and all paste waxes.

Getting real hard to justify the extra time for a non show car. Whatever improvement there is is marginal to non-existant.

As a new driver and even before then as an early teen, washing and waxing cars was almost a pastime. In the mid 1970's I recall using Rain Dance by DuPont and I was a loyal fan. It was a bright blue or turquoise color paste, worked very well and the color was easy to see making it easier to catch areas you missed or still needed buffing. Even in those days, liquid wax was tempting since it was a fast, easier application with less "elbow grease" but I always felt the friction and paste did a better job cleaning the paint and creating a more durable coating.

These days, my shelf is a mix of old leftovers and new things I'll try or find on sale. Ultimately , I default to Meguiars and use liquids or bottled paste. I have the compound and polish for a few levels of fixes if I see scratches, marred areas or blemishes. I have some of the spray and wax like quick detailer and many of these work well but I usually find areas to fix before going over with a quick wipe on and off product. Now that the subject is fresh, I'll probably find an excuse to go hunting for a good paste again. If I have it, I might find the energy to actually use it and a once a year paste buffed in by hand on both cars would be a good investment. I can live with 3 or 4 application of the quickie stuff for the months in between.

I picked up some blow out priced stuff years ago by Auto Glym. Liquid wax was fine, but the car wash soap was really nice... if you ever see it and its not stupid priced, try it out.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Apparently no one here has heard of or used Optimum Spray Wax. It is durable, contains both carnauba and polymers, and offers a brilliant shine lasting for several months.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Apparently no one here has heard of or used Optimum Spray Wax. It is durable, contains both carnauba and polymers, and offers a brilliant shine lasting for several months.

On that topic.....I like the optimum interior protectant! Perfect shine with UV protectant, and not greasy.

Originally Posted by Toros
The idea that you need to use a paste or liquid wax as a base coat and maintain with spray wax is shade tree, weekend warrior detailer anecdotal nonsense. The newer spray waxes last as long or longer for water beading, sheeting and shine/appearance as any paste wax or liquid product.

Lmao, oh ya bro....well why don't you try it, and please prove me wrong. I've only being this for years in terms of detailing. And best results have been putting a base coat of actual wax, the maintenance with spraywax....l can understand if it's hard for your brain to grasp, that instead of the environment eating your one coat of wax, there are few layers that it will have to penetrate to remove that.

See how long your one or two coats of spray wax last from November to March "beading" and still being fine after 4 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back