Favorite Airplane

Seeing Astro's post on the final grounding of the Avro Vulcan got me thinking of my all time favorite airplane; Handley Page Victor. One of the airplanes that kindled my interest in flying when I saw one these in a movie when I was a maybe 5 or so. What are folks other similar favorites?

Striking, unattractive maybe, certainly distinctive..

[Linked Image]

(pic from Wiki)

I've seen a Victor. So few are left!

At the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, there is a Victor. She's undergoing restoration. At least, I hope she is, she looked a bit forlorn when my wife and I were there a couple years ago.

That's a great museum, by the way. Many airplanes in the collection are unique, like the only surviving TSR-2 prototype. Some are rare, like the Sea Vixen.

The V bombers (Victor, Valiant, Vulcan) represent an interesting time: in the early days of the jet age, the RAF chose three airplanes for the same mission. All designed around the same weapons, and all fielded concurrently. The total was about 150 airplanes. Running three simultaneous acquisition programs and production lines was expensive, but the RAF didn't know enough to choose a winner in the competition- the technology was too new - so they hedged their bets and bought all three.

I enjoyed this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN5U5LI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Handley Page Victor.

I think my new favorite from a looks standpoint.

Originally Posted by slug_bug
SR-71 Blackbird!
[Linked Image]

SR71 is a close second to the A12. The A12 flew faster and higher than the SR71, and the reason most people idolise the SR71 is the speed and height.

If they SR71 is a V6 mustang, the A12 is a GT500

Wasn't one a Test Pilot record vs an operational aircraft … by then the Blackbird was larger and heavier yet came close to the same speed.

The satellite to phase them out was Corona ?

Most of mine are already here, but F7F. There is (was) a beauty down at Galveston CAP. Too bad they didn't bring it to the new museum by NASA.

F7F good pic for decals.jpg

Ya'll got it WRONG!

This is the correct answer:

[Linked Image from sa.kapamilya.com]

[Linked Image from boldmethod.com]

[Linked Image from boldmethod.com]

[Linked Image from mk0runwaygirl0t0gjwt.kinstacdn.com]

The Pilatus PC-12 can do everything! It's reasonably fast, very efficient, can carry 3300 pounds of cargo, has very long range and can do international trips.

Last edited:
The B17 Flying Fortress. My dad served in the 8th Air Force, 96th bomb group, based out of Snetterton Heath, England. Nearly 5,000 (!) B17s were shot down. To this day there are still ~50,000 8th Air Force MIAs. Insane...

Scott

6CFBF5B4-6AA3-43B5-8A9F-71393C829460.jpeg

715E422B-14E2-4D2E-99B5-482DE742F108.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't believe someone actually posted a picture of a BUFF. It didn't get this name by accident. Oh well, tastes vary. I like the Corsairs for their vintage and Warthogs for something more modern. My uncle had a Navion which was a cool looking plane.

I have many but i like/love the Platius Porter.

Also like the Waco upf-7 ,Stinson Gullwing ,Stinson Reliant my friends stolp starduster 3

I worked on B-52's, kc-135 ,c-47 c54,-130s a-1e Skyraider A26 Invaders ,in Thailand ch3 ,ch-53 helicopter , so I've been around enjoy ,all these airplanes make all of us happy

TOMB

Back