Fair price to have exhaust repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
A local shop did a great job fixing the Notorious Nissan heatsheild buzz on my Old Rogue Select that the dealer wouldn't touch , with some cutting and welding.

about 40 mins and 40 bucks.

But that is a "backwoods garage"
I gave 'em a attaboy tip so they could have a free lunch.

Lou's Custom Exhaust on Route 125 in Kingston, NH.

http://www.louskingston.com/

Good on you, any competent, honest repair shop should get some free advertising on the net and recommendations too.

I wish we had any decent places like that here, but we don't. I doubt there is one competent, honest shop in this entire area I live in.

Originally Posted by Olas
The only acceptable exhaust repair is stainless from manifold to tailpipe. aything else is just a quick bodge that wont last, and will need more quick boding in the future.

buy nice or buy twice.

On an 18yr/old Honda Accord that lives in the rust belt?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
A local shop did a great job fixing the Notorious Nissan heatsheild buzz on my Old Rogue Select that the dealer wouldn't touch , with some cutting and welding.

about 40 mins and 40 bucks.

But that is a "backwoods garage"
I gave 'em a attaboy tip so they could have a free lunch.

Lou's Custom Exhaust on Route 125 in Kingston, NH.

http://www.louskingston.com/

Good on you, any competent, honest repair shop should get some free advertising on the net and recommendations too.

I wish we had any decent places like that here, but we don't. I doubt there is one competent, honest shop in this entire area I live in.

I was surprised and delighted too. Never had good service like that in ages!

If the welds are good welds, I'd say that is a fair price. Just curious, did they give you any kind of warranty on the "materials & labor"?

The price you paid is fair
smile.gif

Of course, you could always get an eBay exhaust which is stainless
27.gif

Not all of us do repairs "the only acceptable way" on our older vehicles. Sometimes we do something just to keep her going for another season or two. We then reassess where we are at and make what to us is a smart enough financial decision. And sometimes we do some more work on her at that time, perhaps going the "only acceptable way". Open checkbook repairs are not for everybody all the time, unfortunately.

Goes to show how price fluctuates with region. We did exhaust in the last shop I worked in. $200 would cover a complete new pipe, muffler and tail pipe from the catalytic converter back for a Honda Accord. All of our work was fab-to-fit, meaning we built the system with stock pipe we kept on hand. From 1.5" up to 5" diameter.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Goes to show how price fluctuates with region. We did exhaust in the last shop I worked in. $200 would cover a complete new pipe, muffler and tail pipe from the catalytic converter back for a Honda Accord. All of our work was fab-to-fit, meaning we built the system with stock pipe we kept on hand. From 1.5" up to 5" diameter.

Was that for a stainless steel exhaust?

Did you use that heavy thick wall stuff that's near impossible to find or the thin stuff most aftermarketers love so? I'd always heard you can't really bend that thin crap well.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Was that for a stainless steel exhaust?

Aluminized steel...which is all that's "needed" in my region. We DID keep some stainless stock. Would add about $50 to the price for a Honda Accord...unless they wanted a SS muffler as well. Those added another $75 in most applications. A complete SS exhaust from the converter back would run right at $350 for a Honda Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back