Any need for additive if always using TT fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford says categorically not to use fuel additives on my 3.7L. They do say fairly emphatically to use TT fuel (without actually using the words "top-tier". I take that to mean that they didn't take a bribe to make the recommendation.)

Probably the no fuel additive thing is to head off people putting who knows what in their tank instead of PEA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jimbrewer
)

Probably the no fuel additive thing is to head off people putting who knows what in their tank instead of PEA.

Exactly. Too many folks thinking that seafoam is a good thing to put in a gas tank of a modern car. WRONG.
crackmeup2.gif

As long as you are using any of the major reputable brands like Gumout Regane Complete, or Techron Concentrate you are fine and actually helping your engine to stay clean.
Both of these have between 35-55% PEA in them

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Many folks say to avoid pulling into a gas station when the Fuel tanker is there - or just left.
They say our fuel filters, fuel lines, injectors and fuel pumps will thank us later.

You know I always had that logic. Until I learned that it doesnt matter if the fuel tanker is there or not. That is a myth and will not affect anything since there are filters.

Originally Posted by painfx
Many folks say to avoid pulling into a gas station when the Fuel tanker is there - or just left.
They say our fuel filters, fuel lines, injectors and fuel pumps will thank us later.

You know I always had that logic. Until I learned that it doesnt matter if the fuel tanker is there or not. That is a myth and will not affect anything since there are filters.

Actually not entirely true, filters probably aren't going to get water out completely if at all. If a tanker stirs up some water in the tanks you might get some, although those areas that require ethanol probably won't have a problem for the most part since the alcohol will mitigate that issue for the most part.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Actually not entirely true, filters probably aren't going to get water out completely if at all. If a tanker stirs up some water in the tanks you might get some, although those areas that require ethanol probably won't have a problem for the most part since the alcohol will mitigate that issue for the most part.

Check the Fuel/additive forum. There is a member in there that delivers fuel for a living. He probably knows more than us.

Higher volume stations have 2+ tankers a day. You'd never be able to buy gas if you worried about it.

Ford says categorically not to use fuel additives on my 3.7L. They do say fairly emphatically to use TT fuel (without actually using the words "top-tier". I take that to mean that they didn't take a bribe to make the recommendation.)

It's probably because it doesn't matter what fuel additive you use if the water pump is going to grenade the engine prematurely anyways.

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
I have a 2019 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 V6 engine. Just got it in December and have 3000 miles on it. I have only used top tier fuel since taking possession with 50 miles on odo. Pretty sure the dealer didn't do that when they filled. So with me always using TT fuel, and if I continue to only use TT fuel, would it be necessary to use an additive at some point. I'm partial to Techron. But will it be necessary if always using TT?

Thanks.

I'm at 10K in my 19' Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI. Always use Shell, BP or Mobil top-tier and haven't used any fuel additive yet. Engine runs like new.

I'm due for an oil change at 12K and will use Techron about 500 miles before the oil change. Will also use a half-bottle of CRC Intake Cleaner Spray at the same time.

In many cases the OTC fuel additives, like Techron, are just concentrated additives (PIB/PIBA/PEA) already found in TT fuel, although some addys contain addtl stuff like solvents to help clean out fuel lines/injectors/pumps... So Ford is being funny with it's language. Chevron private labels the cleaner for Hyundai,GM/Delco, Mopar and others, I'm surprised they haven't for Ford. But if you're religiously running TT fuel you shouldn't need any addtl additive every fill up.. more like once every few months if anything just to keep the build up to a minimum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

In many cases the OTC fuel additives, like Techron, are just concentrated additives (PIB/PIBA/PEA) already found in TT fuel, although some addys contain addtl stuff like solvents to help clean out fuel lines/injectors/pumps... So Ford is being funny with it's language. Chevron private labels the cleaner for Hyundai,GM/Delco, Mopar and others, I'm surprised they haven't for Ford. But if you're religiously running TT fuel you shouldn't need any addtl additive every fill up.. more like once every few months if anything just to keep the build up to a minimum.

It has to be in a solvent just as a carrier for the detergents. Many of the detergents are solid.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
It has to be in a solvent just as a carrier for the detergents. Many of the detergents are solid.

Thanks for catching that..I guess what I'm saying (to clarify my prior post) is additional solvents besides the carrier. Some products have great solvency like a Berryman's B12 because they have a laundry list of solvents besides the carrier v. say, Lucas Fuel Treatment which is all heavy, paraffinic oil or Seafoam which i believe is a mix of pale oil and isopropanol. Both of these two treatments contain no addtl detergents like PEA/PIBA. So there can def' be a difference (in solvency) from one brand to the next.

Last edited:
The outboard motor companies rebadge Techron …
but my understanding it's a stronger dose if anyone ever thinks they need that …
I just switched to Techron multipurpose marine additive for my boat
Figured they understood the balance of these chems

Originally Posted by 4WD
The outboard motor companies rebadge Techron …
but my understanding it's a stronger dose if anyone ever thinks they need that …
I just switched to Techron multipurpose marine additive for my boat
Figured they understood the balance of these chems

It is. Both the Power sports and Marine have higher amount of pea by weight... but they're also spendier, dollars per oz.

Thanks for catching that..I guess what I'm saying (to clarify my prior post) is additional solvents besides the carrier. Some products have great solvency like a Berryman's B12 because they have a laundry list of solvents besides the carrier v. say, Lucas Fuel Treatment which is all heavy, paraffinic oil or Seafoam which i believe is a mix of pale oil and isopropanol. Both of these two treatments contain no addtl detergents like PEA/PIBA. So there can def' be a difference (in solvency) from one brand to the next.

That is incorrect. Lucas Fuel Treatment is not all heavy, paraffinic oil: it is polyisobutylene in a oil carrier.

Originally Posted by wdn

That is incorrect. Lucas Fuel Treatment is not all heavy, paraffinic oil: it is polyisobutylene in a oil carrier.

Really?

I don't see PIB mentioned anywhere on their website nor in their SDS...Do you have a link to your discovery, so that I can verify?

Lucas UCL MSDS

Last edited:
What makes you think a product data safety sheet is a recipe or ingredient list? It isn't. So in other words you are the one making claims about the absence of some ingredient of Lucas UCL based solely on a SDS that is not nor is it intended to be, a formula.

OK sure, really, here is a Fourier analysis infrared spectrometry of Lucas UCL done here, that reverse engineered the product:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=284807&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back