Mobil 1 High Mileage

I always feel a little silly asking an oil related question on this site because I'm sure most topics have been covered many times before. But here goes.

What are people's opinions on using M1 High Mileage oil in a vehicle with 75k on it? I use it in my daughter's old Yaris without much thought. It's 10 years old with a ton of miles on it.

But my 5 year old 4.0 Tacoma is due for it's next change at 75k miles. I'm not falling for the marketing per say. But it seems like the HM formula has a good additive package and people have had some good OA from it. I noticed recently that it's SN/SN Plus rated...and that's obviously what my Taco calls for. I can get it for about the same price as M1.

And this would be in the 5/30 flavor.

Thoughts?

Yesterday's 75k vehicles are today's 125k vehicles.
If your engine is not showing any symptoms for need, then continue-on with regular synthetic oil.

We dont use any HM oils, M1 recommends to use 5w-50 in older engines with 300-500k km. I think its marketing with the HM oils when a euro oil will work better. I would use M1 0w-40 in that engine or the m1 5w-30 esp.

I've owned vehicles with many more miles than that on them. I have never used HM oil.

If you don't have any weeps then I would continue to use what you have been using.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Yesterday's 75k vehicles are today's 125k vehicles.
If your engine is not showing any symptoms for need, then continue-on with regular synthetic oil.

I agree ^^^^^^^^^

No change needed.

I agree with the others. No need for HM oil in your Taco. If you're not experiencing any leaks, blowby or smoking then do what you've been doing.

HM oil is not going to hurt your car. I use it off and on like currently. Got some Pennzoil 5W-20 for $4 a Jug after rebate. Its in my Corolla has about 3K miles on it currently it is working out just fine. Some people just spend more time worrying than is needed. It will be just fine and yes the next time HM oil is on a sale with a good rebate will I buy it again? You bet I will.

Maxlife is one of the best HM oils available and its on every street corner where you guys are!
M1 is a well known name with a big reputation but it will make your valvetrain super-noisy.

Stick with VML.

Can't really go wrong either way. Some still link HM oil to the old days of "seal swellers" additives that would stop a car from leaking for a while as long as you kept using the seal sweller. The moment you stopped using it the seals would retract and leak even more than before you started.

Modern HM oil don't do that. (according to the manufacturers) These are seal conditioners which prevent the seals from getting hard and shrinking in the first place. Sort of like armor all for your seals. (No Armorall flame wars please, replace with your favorite rubber protectant if you will)

While you don't need a HM oil, it won't hurt a thing.

The engine is drum tight. No leaking, weeping, burning, etc.

One thing that caught my eye is that M1 HM seems to be on the heavier side of the 5/30 spectrum. That I like. And it's basically the same price as M1. I typically use Mobil1 and buy it either when it's on sale or has rebates.

I figured I might get a range of answers. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I'll add that I've seen no issues at all with it in my daughter's Yaris....other than the first couple of changes being very black. I'm assuming that's because of it supposedly heavy detergent pack. The oil stays a golden color these days.

Keep the opinions and info coming. And anyone out there with some personal OA numbers....jump in.

Not sure where you live as for air temps …
but if you wanted to come up a bit on HTHS ? The M1 HM 10w30 is where the beef is

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Can't really go wrong either way. Some still link HM oil to the old days of "seal swellers" additives that would stop a car from leaking for a while as long as you kept using the seal sweller. The moment you stopped using it the seals would retract and leak even more than before you started.

Not necessarily "the moment", it can take a while for the seals to shrink again, even many miles, so people who flip back and forth, don't see the direct correlation between their premature seal wear and the HM oil.

Modern HM oil don't do that. (according to the manufacturers)

This is a false statement without a qualifier of which manufacturer you're talking about. Valvoline Maxlife for example, does in fact do this according to representatives.

These are seal conditioners which prevent the seals from getting hard and shrinking in the first place. Sort of like armor all for your seals. (No Armorall flame wars please, replace with your favorite rubber protectant if you will)

Show us a statement that they work like armor all instead of like a seal sweller. That's not even how the are marketed, if they had only benefits they would be called "advanced protection" rather than "high mileage".

There is no conditioner for seals that can keep them from aging. Conditioner is marketing department doubletalk because seal sweller can be a dirty pair of words, as they have seen from public discussion. It is a deliberately vague, non-specific word that does not mean it's like armor all.

Last edited:
The effects of swellers aka seal conditioners depends on the material the seal is made from. There is nothing that I know of that will swell a PTFE seal and that is what some of the seals in your Toyota's are especially the mains and probably cam seals, the others are mostly Viton which is very resistant to chemicals that will cause swelling.
Some parts use no gaskets but instead a silicone sealer which does not like these sorts of chemicals and can soften and leak in time. In the amount these chemicals (mostly esters IIRC) are found in approved engine oils they are basically harmless.

Old seal types like Buna-N will swell readily and stop leaks doing so but they return to their shrunken state in time. This is an o ring compatibility chart, the material in seals is the same. The bottom line is you can use HM or not with the seal your engines use it probably wont make much of a difference one way or the other to the seals.

https://www.allorings.com/o-ring-compatibility

Originally Posted by danez_yoda

Modern HM oil don't do that. (according to the manufacturers) These are seal conditioners which prevent the seals from getting hard and shrinking in the first place. Sort of like armor all for your seals. (No Armorall flame wars please, replace with your favorite rubber protectant if you will)

While you don't need a HM oil, it won't hurt a thing.

M1 in the correct range will not affect most valve trains. Some of the less well designed ones, it will make noisy, others will get quieter.

rod

I have moved my high mileage Toyota to M1 0W-40. If you search you will find a lot of people have done this with Toyota trucks. But, I was also considering 5W-30 ESP. Anyone know if there is an advantage of one over the other?

Originally Posted by RunFish
I have moved my high mileage Toyota to M1 0W-40. If you search you will find a lot of people have done this with Toyota trucks. But, I was also considering 5W-30 ESP. Anyone know if there is an advantage of one over the other?

Those M1 products works really good in Toyota engine

My Tacoma's 4.0L just turned 90K. Currently using Amsoil SS 5W30. Back when I had my 3.4L I used M1 HM 5W30, no issues.

I use Mobil 1 HM in 5W/30 flavor in a couple of my vehicles. No leaks, running good and not noisy at all. The vehicles are a CTS with the 3.6DI (168k mi), a GMC Denali with the 6.0L (166k mi)and a Jeep GC with the 3.6 (116k mi). All have been on HM Mobil 1 since around 80k miles.

Last edited:
Back