What tread depth at change the tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by painfx

You are quite gung-ho to be taking it to 1/32nds... it can pop any random given time.

The tread doesn't keep the tire from popping.

Originally Posted by brages

You are quite gung-ho to be taking it to 1/32nds... it can pop any random given time.

The tread doesn't keep the tire from popping.

Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I understand the impact of worn tires wet weather hydroplaning. But I am having an issue now with my VW lease - im just trying to get to just 15K miles without buying a set come December which will ruin the value proposition of an "inexpensive" 2 year lease.
So in other words you are willing to jeopardize your own safety, not to mention that of your passengers or other drivers around you just to save $500?

Wont they ding you for the tires at lease turn in? OP-Buy some Chinese "MileStar" tires. Cheap-decent.

When I'm down to 5/32 I'm looking at tires and watching weather.
If the weather is dry and no tire deals, I'll try to hold out and keep watching.
If the weather is going to be into some good rain, I'm getting tires. If a sale pops up on tires I like, I'm getting tires.

But once the wear hits 4/32 I'm going for tires on sale or not, no matter the weather.

Got with the shop yesterday, they'll prorate the tires cost and refund me 30% of the cost - no arguments at all, great guys. On a side note, 200mi on the tires and really happy with them so far.

Originally Posted by DGXR
For myself, 1/16" because I drive in mostly dry and mild conditions at conservative speeds. For others, I would say to consider the road conditions. Snow, mud, etc. will have a major effect on traction and you will definitely need more than 1/16" tread depth.

1/16th is 2x the depth of 1/32nd.

Not that I'd take daily driven tires to that level.

1/16" (aka 2/32") is fine around here, and notice that is the minimum tread depth, at which point they are replaced.

I have seen tires worn down to the cords/ belts that haven't "popped." Exposed cords could be considered a negative tread depth.
I just don't think a tire's tread depth (outermost layer) has such a direct correlation to the air-holding ability.

Originally Posted by DGXR
1/16" (aka 2/32") is fine around here, and notice that is the minimum tread depth, at which point they are replaced.

I have seen tires worn down to the cords/ belts that haven't "popped." Exposed cords could be considered a negative tread depth.
I just don't think a tire's tread depth (outermost layer) has such a direct correlation to the air-holding ability.

My mistake. 2/32nds is time to replace the tires for dry environment.

For tread depth at 1/32nds, hitting any deep pothole can cause the tire to pop. A wheel can get bent from hitting pothole let alone, a tire with 1/32nds. Not only that, the braking distance will also increase. There is no good reason to not change new tires at 1/32nds.

I have to say that driving experience has dramatically changed in a good way with new tires installed - both on dry and wet pavement. I almost forgot how much of a difference good new tires can make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back