Leaky sels best additive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read through the reviews here but an still confused. What additives do a good job stopping leaks ( rear main seal and oil pump.) I have seen there are different additives that swell seals and others that hurt them any choices to make out therre?

It is a car belonging to a girl I am dating so if I can seal a few leaks I will be a god to her... I like that.

Car is a wreck but anything to help her get along till she graduates college would be great.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
ATP-205

https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re-Seal-Stops-Bottle/dp/B000NVW1LM

The stuff actually works. I've saved replacing two rack & pinion steering gears and a front main seal. It may take several days of actual driving, but, IMHO, if ATP-205 doesn't work, you've got problems too big to be solved by a bottle of anything.

I used it in a Protege 1.6 with 270k and it significantly slowed the rear main seal leak. Curious as to whether it might help 3-4 slipping at WOT in ATF but its not enough of a problem for me to risk adverse effects.

Will likely try spraying it on some bushings and boots with a spray bottle to keep them pliabe like Scotty Kilmer suggests though I think he's a bit of a clickbaiting goofball.

Last edited:
I'd give Mobil 1 HM a try, the higher AN ester content seemed to shut down leaky seals on my father's Taurus...

You won't help the poor girl with $3.50 spent on snake oil - the only way to fix leaky seals is to replace them with new seals that don't leak.

The question has to be;
Is she worth the time & effort of fixing it correctly? If she's not then find one that is.

Liqui-Moly Oil Saver. Worked like a charm on my V-6 Duratec front seal leak. Not a cheap task to replace the seal and this product bought me a couple years leak-free until trade-in time.

If you use this product, use the full dose the first oil change and taper off to progressively smaller amounts.

Originally Posted by Olas
You won't help the poor girl with $3.50 spent on snake oil - the only way to fix leaky seals is to replace them with new seals that don't leak.

The question has to be;
Is she worth the time & effort of fixing it correctly? If she's not then find one that is.

Her car is not worth fixing, not going to pull the motor on a 2002 Pontiac GT with 175 K on it. It has cracked windshield dents and dings. actually just trying to keep her from dumping a qt of oil in each week

That said she's a 22 yo college hottie but they are a dime a dozen

Originally Posted by Danh
Liqui-Moly Oil Saver. Worked like a charm on my V-6 Duratec front seal leak. Not a cheap task to replace the seal and this product bought me a couple years leak-free until trade-in time.

If you use this product, use the full dose the first oil change and taper off to progressively smaller amounts.

Sounds like a winner....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back