Mobil 55% more cleansing agent claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Store owner told me Exxon has a guy who takes samples …
tests for correct additives and related concentration …

Some gasoline jobbers told me they did that to make sure the gasoline was really brand name. The temptation would be for the local outlet to order up a tanker full of brand X from time to time to boost margins.

Originally Posted by Audios
They may not be lying about the 55%, but their pricing offsets any real gains. For 60-70 cents per gallon more at my local Exxon stations compared to others, even the smallest tank on my E36 at 16 gallons means 10$ more per fill up, a can of additive is cheaper.

Exxon and Mobil stations here are usually a dime per gallon more than others. Shell and BP also.

Originally Posted by wolf_06
I just saw a big sign at a Mobil Exxon gas station, claiming 55% more cleansing agent in supreme 91 octane gasoline.

Hit the 91 octane button for 55% more cleansing agent, is what it says...

How is the customer able to get proofs of this? LOL

I would contact Exxon Mobil and ask them for documentation about this claim. Not literature or pamphlets, ask for documentation with real numbers related to their claim.

Originally Posted by domer10
Get a scope, look at your internals now....open your wallet and look at in a few months time. Either way if it works or doesn't they got your cash. I always run premium just for the fact that it does not contain ethanol, which burns cleaner, thus leaving less deposits or residue. Don't care about hp numbers etc. But it's proven than non ethanol gas burns far diff than regular.

These new turbo D.I engines I would run nothing but.

Now who knows with these claims. Off the top sounds a bit over the top marketing.

I'm not sure if you are saying that premium without ethanol burns cleaner, or that ethanol burns cleaner.
The reason ethanol is used in today's blended fuels is because the blended fuels burn cleaner than straight gasoline. It's about emissions and air quality. Unfortunately, ethanol has less energy content than gasoline, so more blended fuel must be used to make the same power (compared to straight gasoline), so using the ethanol-blended fuel reduces fuel economy. Yes ethanol has higher octane rating than gasoline, but octane and energy content are unrelated.
I agree about using blended fuels in the new turbo DI engines. And about the marketing hyperbole LOL.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Cant find premium ethanol-free gasoline around here anymore. Used to be a couple of stations that sold 89-octane pure gas, but I don't think they were selling enough to make any money.

The one I go to is out of it every now and then when I go to fill up, so then I just go to the Shell, which has the same thing for $1more a gallon. Normally I pay $2.60/gal US for 91 E0 TT.

$2.60/gal for 91 Octane? That is cheap!

Every fuel company blows smoke up their customers rear end to make a profit. It's all marketing claims. Gasoline is gasoline IMO. No brand of gas has every provided more MPGs or drivability improvements for me. Buy whatever is cheapest and sleep easy.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Every fuel company blows smoke up their customers rear end to make a profit. It's all marketing claims. Gasoline is gasoline IMO. No brand of gas has every provided more MPGs or drivability improvements for me. Buy whatever is cheapest and sleep easy.

You are correct, gasoline is gasoline... Comes from the same source. HOWEVER, it is the Additives that makes them different.

Originally Posted by painfx

You are correct, gasoline is gasoline... Comes from the same source. HOWEVER, it is the Additives that makes them different.

Correct painfx and if your owners manual says to use Top Tier fuel then that is what you should be filling up with.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Correct painfx and if your owners manual says to use Top Tier fuel then that is what you should be filling up with.

Car manufactures only recommend Top Tier fuels in their Owner's Manuals because Big Oil has paid for the endorsement. Top Tier gasoline can cost between $.10-$.25 extra per gallon. Some companies dump even more additives into their Premium Grades like Shell V-Power and Mobil Synergy Supreme+ which in my opinion is just more profit. Most gasoline cars on the road were designed and tuned for regular grade so why not add those additional cleaning additives across their entire line up.. easy...PURE GREED.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Car manufactures only recommend Top Tier fuels in their Owner's Manuals because Big Oil has paid for the endorsement. Top Tier gasoline can cost between $.10-$.25 extra per gallon. Some companies dump even more additives into their Premium Grades like Shell V-Power and Mobil Synergy Supreme+ which in my opinion is just more profit. Most gasoline cars on the road were designed and tuned for regular grade so why not add those additional cleaning additives across their entire line up.. easy...PURE GREED.

Pure hogwash.

I stick to top tier Mobil (Esso here in Canada) to help prevent more carburetor issues in both my cars. The work truck gets it too because that's what our gas card is for.

I put e0 91 Shell v power in the summer car before it's parked for winter and in all the outdoor power equipment.

In the past I've gotten 3-5 years of using e10 all summer in my summer daily driver before the carb messed up. Only time will tell if switching to top tier e10 still causes the same issues.

With the price difference here, I could buy a brand new Summit racing carburetor for the Oldsmobile with 1 year of fuel savings. As much as I'd rather use e0 exclusively I can't afford it.

All gasoline has detergent additives, Top Tier just has more of the same additive. To turn the minimum EPA gas into Top Tier requires adding just 34 ptb. That is per Keropur AP 205 additive's documentation.

That is worst case, assuming like Top Tier likes base their claims on, that non Top Tier gas sold is the EPA bare minimum detergency and not one extra drop of additive.

To give Top Tier the benefit of the doubt, for any gas you can just add 34 ptb more of the same Keropur additive and turn it into Top Tier. That is 34 pounds per 40,000 gallons of gasoline, or one pound per 1,176 gallons. That is one ounce of detergent additive to upgrade 74 gallons of gasoline to Top Tier.

To compare that to Techron fuel system cleaner which contains 30% PEA then three 20-ounce bottles contains more than a pound of PEA, ignoring all the other, non-PEA detergents in Techron. Therefore 3.75 ounces of Techron by weight contains an ounce of PEA that seemingly is enough to turn 74 gallons into Top Tier. One ounce by weight then couldturn a 20 gallon tank of any gas into equivalent of Top Tier. That is assuming a pound of Keropur additive is as effective as a pound of pure PEA, which is debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back