boring hole through headliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be installing a puck mount for antenna.
I decided NOT to drop the headliner, as it is much work, and I need to put a 3" hole in it anyways.

The puck mount will not fit behind the liner, the mount is heavy duty and strong.

So how do I get a clean cut hole into the headliner?

I'm going to glue edging around it, but need a fairly clean hole.

I thought about using a hole saw in reverse to cut the liner.

Last edited:
Similar to my problem once.
I wanted to cut a nice clean hole thru carpeting and the felt padding under it / this was in my living room.
The hole needed to be 1/2" diameter to run an antenna wire into the basement.

What I did was:
Took a piece of steel Electrical Conduit 3/4" dia. x 4 ft long
Pressed onto carpet and rotated back & forth / this cut a nice clean hole thru carpet and pad.

Last edited:
Draw it out with marker then use a tiny chisel(1/4" or so). Lightly tap going around the circle. Should come out decent.

My father in law shot his black powder rifle through his. Made a nice clean hole in liner and roof. True story. On accident of course.

Just saying..

The cut edge probably won't look very finished, either undercut the size of the hole and use your mount to cover the cut edge, or find some material to put around it as a trim ring. That material could be anything, even a plastic coffee can lid painted to match the interior.

Another edge finishing option is use automotive door edge trim, the cheap plastic type will get flexible and bend into a 3" dia. hole if you heat it a bit - but beware of making a mess if it has a hot glue liner in it, heated enough to reach its melting point.

A hole saw will probably snag the fabric and tear it. Before I'd go that route, I'd pick up this $2500 extra special 3" fence post cap (may be cheaper elsewhere
lol.gif
j/k that's for 5K pieces and it's just the pic I'm referring to) spray dry silicone (release aid) on it, heat it up and melt a ring through the fabric, then use a razor blade for the padding.

https://www.1stsourceproducts.com/store/products/3-chain-link-fence-post-dome-caps

Last edited:
You can't cut an X in the headliner and insert just the bolt through and let puck rest on headliner? When I have to go through liner for my antennas that is what I did. Cut an X then push cable through and if I wanted to be fancy I would take a trim piece and cut hole big enough for wire and glue to headliner.

utility knife, exacto knife, or Dave9's suggestion to undercut it and cap it. I had a 2M whip years ago - the underside of it was certainly low-profile enough to drill the hole through the sheetmetal and leave the headliner alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back