Multi fold oil + vehicle question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have decided to transfer schools to Kansas City to pursue a career in oral surgery meaning that i will be moving from Wichita to KC coming August. To do this I am planning on selling off my tiburon and b4000 to get a more highway oriented vehicle. Probably in the neo luxury sedan (avalon, azera) or optioned out mid size category. This vehicle will most likely be specced for 0 or 5w20 with probably a 5 or 6 speed transmission and 90% of the driving will be on the turnpike sitting at 75-90mph. I plan on using a premium oil most likely Amsoil signature. So one, with a premium oil and almost all highway miles at a relatively fast speed would using a 5w30 be beneficial in this case? Two, what other oils would you guys recommend for this application (including weight) and three what vehicles would you recommend for this application? Probably going to have around an 8k budget.

"90% of the driving will be on the turnpike sitting at 75-90 mph"

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a good 5W-30 synthetic.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
"90% of the driving will be on the turnpike sitting at 75-90 mph"

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a good 5W-30 synthetic.

Awesome, great to hear. Thank you!

Last edited:
5w30 Castrol Magnatec
or 0w30 Edge

I'd sway more towards Magnatec if you're going the Hyundai route. All of my old hyundais loved the stuff.

Last edited:
IDK that Amsoil is necessary however, use a good Synthetic Oil in whichever grade the manufacture spec's for your type of driving. And since you mentioned Avalon, Azera, I am assuming you want a V6?

Are other makes/models on your list?...such as the Avalon's sister, the Lexus ES350/ES350h. The Lexus dealership experience is quite good in my experience. And pre owned/certified Lexus' can be a good choice.

IDK if an Avalon Hybrid/ES350 Hybrid, in mostly hiwy driving would be that much more fuel efficient than the V6. Typically(or I should say often) Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 are quite fuel efficient on the hiwy in real world driving(often better than their EPA rating). Would an Avalon Hybrid or ES350h be in the cards for you?

Keeping in mind that hybrid vehicles use more/all of the gas engine during hiwy driving more than the electric power. However, it's still more fuel efficient. And driving through town will certainly bring up the MPG while using the electric motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
So i have decided to transfer schools to Kansas City to pursue a career in oral surgery meaning that i will be moving from Wichita to KC coming August. To do this I am planning on selling off my tiburon and b4000 to get a more highway oriented vehicle. Probably in the neo luxury sedan (avalon, azera) or optioned out mid size category. This vehicle will most likely be specced for 0 or 5w20 with probably a 5 or 6 speed transmission and 90% of the driving will be on the turnpike sitting at 75-90mph. I plan on using a premium oil most likely Amsoil signature. So one, with a premium oil and almost all highway miles at a relatively fast speed would using a 5w30 be beneficial in this case? Two, what other oils would you guys recommend for this application (including weight) and three what vehicles would you recommend for this application? Probably going to have around an 8k budget.

How many nights did you lay in bed and stare at the ceiling overthinking what to put in your crankcase, before deciding on PUP HM oil for the Tiburon?
Where did you find that oil? It's been gone from this region for years.

What are you expecting to gain with the plan? The reason is for the question is I see many high mile cars and yes they are sales people and commuters that drive lots of miles have their cars running 350,000 plus miles running quick lube oil and filters. With out voodoo plans . We seem to let marketing rule our opinions.

Originally Posted by CT8
What are you expecting to gain with the plan? The reason is for the question is I see many high mile cars and yes they are sales people and commuters that drive lots of miles have their cars running 350,000 plus miles running quick lube oil and filters. With out voodoo plans . We seem to let marketing rule our opinions.

In all honesty it's more of the purely theoretical bitog peace of mind.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
]
How many nights did you lay in bed and stare at the ceiling overthinking what to put in your crankcase, before deciding on PUP HM oil for the Tiburon?
Where did you find that oil? It's been gone from this region for years.

It was on sale at Walmart for I believe like 17 dollars or something of the sort. I picked up a couple jugs so now I have a very small stash of it.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
IDK that Amsoil is necessary however, use a good Synthetic Oil in whichever grade the manufacture spec's for your type of driving. And since you mentioned Avalon, Azera, I am assuming you want a V6?

Are other makes/models on your list?...such as the Avalon's sister, the Lexus ES350/ES350h. The Lexus dealership experience is quite good in my experience. And pre owned/certified Lexus' can be a good choice.

IDK if an Avalon Hybrid/ES350 Hybrid, in mostly hiwy driving would be that much more fuel efficient than the V6. Typically(or I should say often) Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 are quite fuel efficient on the hiwy in real world driving(often better than their EPA rating). Would an Avalon Hybrid or ES350h be in the cards for you?

Keeping in mind that hybrid vehicles use more/all of the gas engine during hiwy driving more than the electric power. However, it's still more fuel efficient. And driving through town will certainly bring up the MPG while using the electric motor.

I'd prefer to go with a non hybrid naturally aspirated vehicle for simplicity sake. I'll probably end up with a v6 as that seems to be the more standard engine that comes with the class of vehicle I'm looking for. I hadn't really thought to shop around for Lexus which seems counterintuitive on my part. They would be perfect for my case.

You might find that your chosen vehicle has a 4cyl DI turbo which will open another giant can of worms for your oil question.

Originally Posted by DGXR
You might find that your chosen vehicle has a 4cyl DI turbo which will open another giant can of worms for your oil question.

That'd leave me most likely in the Xw40 range right?

Originally Posted by DGXR

That'd leave me most likely in the Xw40 range right?

It would leave you in ACEA spec 5w30 territory

Is there something I'm not getting here, your budget is 8 grand for a Lexus? Just to add, I would use a D1 gen2 spec 5w30 just about any brand will do.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Is there something I'm not getting here, your budget is 8 grand for a Lexus? Just to add, I would use a D1 gen2 spec 5w30 just about any brand will do.

It would absolutely be from the used market and not the only brand in consideration.

Originally Posted by madeej11

It would absolutely be from the used market and not the only brand in consideration.

I didn't read where this is any particular dollar budget for a used vehicle.

and three what vehicles would you recommend for this application? Probably going to have around an 8k budget.

Wow, how I missed that, IDK!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Wow, how I missed that, IDK!
laugh.gif

We all do it. If you have any recommendations let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back