Hondas without oil filters

I picked up a new CRF230L dual sport recently and forgot these smaller Honda motors don't have oil filters. Just a little screen that fits under the drain plug. I'll be changing the oil frequently anyway since it lubes the clutch and gears too but I wish there was a way to get some sort of filtering done. I stuck a tiny neodymium magnet to the inside of the screen to hopefully grab some ferrous metals but still. Anyone know of a way to filter any better on these things?

[Linked Image]

274C1466-1601-4C97-B3FF-9D6844F234B1.jpeg

You will find that if you wait too long between changes of oil that your clutch pack will stick together and when that happens, change the oil. That has been my experience.

Change oil often. That is the key.

I had a Honda Ruckus (50cc liquid cooled scooter) that I put 24k miles on. Yes, 24k miles. I changed the oil every 500-800 miles (typically at 600 miles 90% of the time). Motor ran like a top. Never had to adjust the valves either, which is very common on these GET motors.

Oil capacity is low, it's easy to drain and fill. Just do it often.

Yeah I'll be changing it often it just seems odd to have no filtration. Even my push mower has a spin on oil filter lol.
lol.gif

reminds me of a VW bug my dad had ..it just had a screen cant remember what year that thing was maybe 60's

Check the service manual ... it may also have a centripetal filter. If so, you need to take it apart to clean it out, and they actually work pretty well.

Yes, it will have a centifugal filter on the crankshaft, usually only cleaned when there is a reason to go into the right hand case. You could check and clean in 10 years time, but for now just let it do it's job.

Originally Posted by Silk
Yes, it will have a centifugal filter on the crankshaft, usually only cleaned when there is a reason to go into the right hand case. You could check and clean in 10 years time, but for now just let it do it's job.

Yep, no need to clean it very often. Might check the service manual and see if it calls out a scheduled mileage for clesning. Could be way sooner than 10 years.

They are good for checking camchain wear on Honda's - when you see lots of alloy in the filter it means it's flogging out the chain tunnel in the barrel.

Originally Posted by Silk

Wow I didn't even know about this contraption. Thanks for the heads up! Manual wants me to clean it every 8k miles.

Honda 250 Rebels don't have an oil filter, and there are quite a few of them running around with at or near 100,000 miles with no engine work.

One thing that sold me on the TTR230, it has a cartridge filter that's a snap to change. No worries here! Both bikes are essentially the same though otherwise. Can go years with routine maintenance.

TTR230.jpg

Back