Stuck oil filter

pbm

The 4967 (small) size filter on my 2008 Corolla is on very tight and I can't get it off with various types of filter wrenches. The problem is that I have mutilated the filter trying..the other part of the problem is I'm 1500 miles from home. If I pierce the filter and cut it with aviation snips...will the snips be strong enough to cut the base plate? I don't think I want to chance driving it with the filter so beat up (although it doesn't appear to be leaking...yet)
I should have left well enough alone...I shouldn't have tightened it so much last time...I should have put more oil on the gasket last time..etc..etc.. For those who don't know the filter location on the 1zzfe...it's recessed and the correct 14 flute cap wrench is mandatory ...and I unwittinly used the wrong wrench initially which is what started my problem.
Thoughts and suggestions?

Since you're that far from home, I would take it to a Toyota dealer who's undoubtedly seen this before and can get it off for you. Pay them for the change and be done with it. Bite the $$ bullet, it'll save you more heartache in the long run.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Since you're that far from home, I would take it to a Toyota dealer who's undoubtedly seen this before and can get it off for you. Pay them for the change and be done with it. Bite the $$ bullet, it'll save you more heartache in the long run.

+1

At some point, you cut your losses

agree with the 3 finger tool. I doubt there is an oil filter that you cannot remove using it. I got mine at Home Depot a few years ago and now I cannot live without it. Neighbor was about to take his car to the dealer to have them remove the filter because his wrench would not budge it and he asked me if I had any ideas. I let him borrow mine and 1 minute later he was done. He went and bought one the next day.

If you can get a cold chisel against the base you could coax it to rotate with a hammer. Pound a notch into it and then hit it to rotate.

Or the hail mary final move is to stab a screwdriver through it, but, you recognize the finality of that one (it's never not worked for me). But if you're nervous, Astro14 gives you a safe play.

Originally Posted by meep
If you can get a cold chisel against the base you could coax it to rotate with a hammer. Pound a notch into it and then hit it to rotate.

Or the hail mary final move is to stab a screwdriver through it, but, you recognize the finality of that one (it's never not worked for me). But if you're nervous, Astro14 gives you a safe play.

Done the screwdriver trick and that works well.

Meep, It is comforting in a way to know that I'm not the only hack out there. Trouble is the Camrys have a cartridge filter these days. and you need a special socket to R+R. Even the the Rat required a socket for the first filter change. With an oiled gasket, spin ons just require a hand tighten.
grin2.gif

I bought those filter pliers at HF this morning....can't get it to budge but my lower radiator hose and Magnafine ATF filter are obstacles which I could remove if I were back home. I also tried the 3 finger wrench to no avail albeit it was a cheap one from Walmart....maybe the dealer is the best route....or maybe I could cut the filter with the snips and use those pliers to crush the base plate? I'm lucky to have the wife's car here to get around...I think the last time I paid for an OC was in 1974...

Originally Posted by pbm
I don't think I want to chance driving it with the filter so beat up (although it doesn't appear to be leaking...yet)

How far is a Jiffy Lube? Start it up and idle engine for 5 minutes while looking for leaks. A few drips are ok. If it looks good, drive it there, assuming your oil light works.

Linked is the 'worst stuck oil filter' thread I remember. Guy ended up getting down to the base/tapping plate and using a pipe wrench. He tried many other things first including home made version of aviation filter removal tool. Not saying this is what you should do, but with many options given and shown worth a read imo. Whatever you decide, good luck.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...13553/stuck-oil-filter-use-a-pipe-wrench

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Probably a long shot but is there enough room to get a small chain wrench around the base plate?

I'm heading over to Northern Tools to see what they have....otherwise I'll probably pick up that Lisle 3 finger wrench at AA...I'll keep you guys posted...

Back