Oil changes not required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are a decent engine. Change it after a few hours to synthetic and let her buck. The oil stays so clean. It's a modern design. Not like the old L head engines. You can go an easy 5 years on an oil change interval.

It isn't a policy change they designed the engine for it. I would change the supplied 30 though after a couple hours and then put 5w 30 synthetic in as the manual calls for in all temps. Then leave it just check, as they say.

Most people who buy them have relatively small yards, if you mow 3-4 months out of the year and it takes you 1/2hr to 1hr a week you put on at most 16 running hours a year (I mowed my 75x150 large town lot in 40 minutes on a slow day). If they figure those engines will go 1-200hrs between actually needing an oil change that equates to 6-10yrs of mowing. I have to agree with them that running those engines low on oil is going to kill them much faster not changing the oil. A top off will replenish the additives and the heavy gunk just settles to the bottom of the case, most of the lubrication is in the form of mist in those engines anyway.

I've picked up plenty of old mowers that probably haven't ever had their oil changed and they run just fine once the carbs cleaned out, some of the oil I've dumped looked more like asphalt coming out of the drain plug. Oil so thick and black that it comes out in glops.

Personally I prefer to change my push mower oil every other season but I can see the appeal of advertising things this way.

Gas up OPE and CHECK OIL before starting. Been the basic rule of operation since forever. Predator has a low level shut off on their engines just to idiot proof things. As said, small engines mostly require a full sump. Keep it filled and go from there ...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I agree with lots of the comments above but there is another aspect as well. Battery electric mowers are cutting into sales of gas mowers. To compete they need to make the gas mowers seem low maintenance.
Good observation; hadn't thought of that but you are spot on!
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Sadly the average homeowner is barely capable of putting fuel in the mower never mind checking or changing the engine oil.
Yes, we seem to be faced with a generation that sees no need to get their hands dirty.

The thought of no oil changes appeals to the younger generation and manufacturers know the practice of no oil changes will get that mower through the warranty period. After that it is a matter of time and the machine is tossed out to the curb and a new mower is in the making..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back