Goldwing parts sticker shock!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With last weekend being stellar I was able to get out to the garage and get my summer toys up and running ,,,,
Fast forward to the local Honda dealership to grab an oil filter for the wing as I had none in stock for my fleet,,

I saunter up to the parts counter and ask for a filter for my wing (HONDA OEM.)and the kid scans the filter and says that will be

14 BUCKS,,,,,,,, I almost choked I looked at him are you guys nuts?????? are you out of your mind.????????

I was just flabbergasted ,,,,, I have been trading with this place for 20 years but,,,,,,,,time to source parts from other sources

Sad news I was so stoked to get the bike out for an afternoon in the sun after two years of health issues I guess it was a small price to pay for an afternoon in the sun

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I do not recall exactly which filter your bike takes, but it might be identical to your Honda Accord.

Yup. OE Honda Motorcycle filter is nothing special (decent filter, but not $14 decent).
OE Honda auto filter fits and works well.
As well as many aftermarket filters.

If I looked it up right. 1995 Honda Goldwing 1500cc take's a NAPA Gold 101000 which is $12.99.
21.gif

I'd think some of the Goldwing chat boards would have a list of car filters that work.

For comparison, I wonder what a Harley dealer would charge for an oil filter for a 1995 Ultra Classic?

At once or twice a season I would pay that for the peace of mind. Helps keep their parts department stocked and that limits your down time.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I don't understand why $14 for an oil filter is such a big deal; for a filter that's changed, what, once a year?

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'm with Scott.
05.gif

How much do you two pay for oil filters ?

You order a filter for your Ferrari it will be expensive, but the same Ferrari Fram filter also cross references something cheap n nasty (dodge omni from memory??)

The point is you never mention the vehicle, you only give them a part number. Or, if you can be motivated, find the lowest budget nastiest crappiest vehicle that cross refenerences your filter, and ask for a filter for that partivular vehicle.

Audi parts are more expensive than Skoda parts. for example.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I don't understand why $14 for an oil filter is such a big deal; for a filter that's changed, what, once a year?

Scott

Exactly.

Using Fram look up for 95 GoldWing two filters show. Ultra XG6607, and motorcycle application 6017A. Latter ~$6.50 WM all day. XG6607, ~$9 WM all day. I'd bet dollars to donuts the XG significantly more efficient than OEM (Amazon shows OEM for ~$11). And it's a Gold filter for Gold Wing. That just a quick check. I'm sure some crossing of 6607 application to Wix/Napa Gold will find similar lower cost thier applications.

$14 from the stealer, just SOP. They charge it because they can. Recently priced out some Honda vehicle trans OEM pressure switches from local stealers, they wanted full retail. Found same switches online for ~30% less shipped. If one is a captive purchaser, ie., must buy from dealer, they got you. My .02

Your 1995 Gold Wing is 25 years old with only 28K miles. Pony up the dinero and run it another 25 years. A chrome oil filter for my HD is almost $14 w/shipping and it's aftermarket.

Last edited:
Consider this....Does Honda make their own oil filters or contract out with the lowest possible bidder(s)? I am pretty sure WIX and it's counterpart NAPA Gold make their own!

Well when you lose 9 months of work due to injuries it,s a sharp stick in the Along with 9.00 dollar a qt oil ,,, but I run Rotella in my bike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back