Motor Trend rips 2020 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by grampi
Again, and I feel like I need to keep saying this, I'm not condoning LL camping or speeding...I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of people thinking that speeding is acceptable, but LL camping is not...both are illegal, but many people believe there's nothing wrong with speeding because everybody does it...

One, when done in moderation, and when appropriate, may at worst, lead to a fine. Most LEO's don't pull over folks who aren't significantly above the limit though. The other backs up traffic, frustrates others and can lead to accidents when those frustrated folks attempt to get around the impediment.

The purpose of the two acts is also wildly different:
- Folks going above the limit are usually keeping pace with traffic and the idea is to get to one's destination as expediently as possible
- Folks LL camping/"policing the hammer lane" are actively working as a hindrance to the flow of traffic; working in opposition to the way traffic is supposed to flow either due to self-righteousness or by being an obliviot.

People don't typically maliciously speed; nobody gets out on the highway and drives 70 in a 65 because they are trying to be a menace. This is not to be confused with people driving like idiots like they are in the F&F, that's a whole different breed. On the other hand, folks that left lane camp either don't understand the rules of the road sufficiently to know they are a hazard, or they do it intentionally because they have serious mental issues. In either case, either due to ignorance or vindictiveness, their goal is not expedient arrival while being transparent in the flow of traffic.

FWIW, most of the LL campers I encounter are doing so because they're totally oblivious to what's going on around them, though I'm sure the self-righteous ones are out there too...the vast majority of LLCers are semi drivers...

Last edited:
FWIW, most of the LL campers I encounter are doing so because they're totally oblivious to what's going on around them, though I'm sure the self-righteous ones are out there too...the vast majority of LLCers are semi drivers...

I'll give a nod to that likely being the higher percentage out of the two groups, though I've certainly encountered my fair share of the other. Up here the MTO will pull over semi's occupying lanes they aren't supposed to be in, so you aren't very likely to encounter them in the far left lanes.

I recall years back when I had my 5.0L Mustang and I was coming down a 4-lane section of the trans Canada through Quebec, it was probably 11PM or later and I had the cruise set at a speed that wouldn't get me pulled over, but was above the limit; a comfortable speed. I come up on a Civic with purple tinted windows, so as I approach, I get in the left lane, overtake, get back over and proceed. Well, he then accelerates, gets in front of me, and then slows back down. I then pulled back out into the left lane, overtook him, moved back over and this whole thing repeated multiple times. We are on a rather desolate section of road here, and after this happened probably for the 4th or 5th time, I put a very significant gap between myself and him, apparently enough of one that we got quite close to his exit. He caught up just as his exit started and he flipped me off as if it were my actions that were in the wrong
21.gif
Some people are just a spilled soda away from a mental breakdown.

O/K … you have not been properly flipped off until it's a fat and tatt with multi colored hair driving a chartreuse box in Austin TX … Oh, and that finger had a nail from —— (rhymes).

Plus, I only went there to buy a new Silverado and paid my taxes there. Not going back.

This morning all the cars on the highway except for 2 were left lane camping. None of them were semis. Most of the trucks I come across staying in the left lane is because of incoming highway ramps where it would logically be safer for all the vehicles on the road when taking into consideration short ramps, merging trucks/traffic, and closing speeds.

In my experience 99.99% of left-lane campers are 4 wheelers and it gets worse the closer to a metro area you travel in. Interestingly enough, the rare times that I do see a semi camping in the left-lane is out East. I don't recall having an issue anywhere out West.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I'll give a nod to that likely being the higher percentage out of the two groups, though I've certainly encountered my fair share of the other. Up here the MTO will pull over semi's occupying lanes they aren't supposed to be in, so you aren't very likely to encounter them in the far left lanes.

I recall years back when I had my 5.0L Mustang and I was coming down a 4-lane section of the trans Canada through Quebec, it was probably 11PM or later and I had the cruise set at a speed that wouldn't get me pulled over, but was above the limit; a comfortable speed. I come up on a Civic with purple tinted windows, so as I approach, I get in the left lane, overtake, get back over and proceed. Well, he then accelerates, gets in front of me, and then slows back down. I then pulled back out into the left lane, overtook him, moved back over and this whole thing repeated multiple times. We are on a rather desolate section of road here, and after this happened probably for the 4th or 5th time, I put a very significant gap between myself and him, apparently enough of one that we got quite close to his exit. He caught up just as his exit started and he flipped me off as if it were my actions that were in the wrong
21.gif
Some people are just a spilled soda away from a mental breakdown.

Apparently law enforcement doesn't pull over semis on the highways where I drive as they will occupy any lane for long periods of time (even the far left lane when there are more than two lanes in a given direction, which they aren't supposed to be using). I wish they would...

Originally Posted by 4WD
I would hope your Lexus does a great deal of that … even our Tahoe does quite a bit …

Out of inexpensive rentals … I found the sonar cruise control on the Fusion to be just about right …

4WD, you bring up an excellent point. Manufacturers have added some impressive driver assistance and safety systems.
I am familiar with the Honda Sensing found on all (?) Hondas now. It's amazing.
I am not sure I would compare it to the Tesla functionality, which can recognize objects in real time.
Our Model 3 now moves over a little in the lane if a large truck is in the next lane.
I am not familiar with other car manufacturers systems, but I know they have come a long way.
That's great; Tesla is not the only game in town.

I am not sure if they send data back to the "Mother Ship". Tesla has billions of miles of data.
The OTA updates continue to improve the functionality.
We are the guinea pigs and constantly generate new test cases for improvement.

In comparison to the Lexus, I find the Lexus dashboard confusing after driving the Tesla.
I do have to say the Lexus quality is unsurpassed. But from a tech standpoint, it pales.

All good. And I love my pickup.

Last edited:
Some pretty good milestones over the years: ABS, stability systems (anti roll over) automatic braking sensors (ours set by car length), back up camera and alarms plus surround cameras, blind spot warnings, lane drift (tug on the steering wheel and buzz on the tail feel weird) … knows if you are not holding that wheel etc …
I'm sure I've missed some … they keep coming

Adaptive cruise control, lane sway warning, lane assist, rear cross traffic warning. Subaru Eyesight has all of them.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Some pretty good milestones over the years: ABS, stability systems (anti roll over) automatic braking sensors (ours set by car length), back up camera and alarms plus surround cameras, blind spot warnings, lane drift (tug on the steering wheel and buzz on the tail feel weird) … knows if you are not holding that wheel etc …
I'm sure I've missed some … they keep coming

HM..............on this forum those are not considered "good things". It's just "more tech" that's all controlled by the vehicles computer and not easily repairable or understood, takes less involvement/and/or skill by the driver, etc.

So therefore-that makes them evil....on here....on BITOG.....this has been discussed before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back