Harbor freight in trouble

Manager at local HF said "we are screwed" back room is empty, nothing coming in on the trucks and we will probably have to close at some point if things don't change fast. I was trying to buy a side cabinet for an upcoming project. He said he has zero of any color.

Bring manufacturing back to the USA.
34.gif

Especially pharmaceuticals.

I don't mind spending more $$$ to have more Americans employed.

It don't sound too good for them

Is Wally world next?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
34.gif

You say you don't mind spending $$$ for locally-manufactured gear, but would you really be willing to spend $$$$$$$$$$ for similar quality?

Originally Posted by P10crew
It don't sound too good for them

Is Wally world next?

Ohh...was just at my local MalWart and they were running out of a lot of stuff, didn't realize this was why,.

ChinaMart and HF won't be the only ones. Lots and lots of construction materials (nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc) are made in China and aren't even made here anymore. This should be a lesson that we need to keep manufacturing here.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
ChinaMart and HF won't be the only ones. Lots and lots of construction materials (nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc) are made in China and aren't even made here anymore. This should be a lesson that we need to keep manufacturing here.

+ 100000000

People are gonna have to start paying more to get goods and services on this side of the pond. Definitely agree with Pharmaceutical too.

Its a global economy...just doesn't make sense to have some items manufactured here anymore. Some of that we did to ourselves and you cannot just legislate manufacturing back here, plus there are many, many folks employed in the import/export business; banks, insurance (NOTHING moves without insurance), longshoremen, transportation…..

Interestingly enough, one of my clients manufacturers very high end, custom manufacturing equipment which they manufacture here and export globally. They are being asked to hold Asia bound orders, not cancel, just hold until the Chinese ports open to receive again.

We will get through this, you are already seeing businesses planning for the recovery upswing.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Its a global economy...just doesn't make sense to have some items manufactured here anymore. Some of that we did to ourselves and you cannot just legislate manufacturing back here, plus there are many, many folks employed in the import/export business; banks, insurance (NOTHING moves without insurance), longshoremen, transportation…..

Interestingly enough, one of my clients manufacturers very high end, custom manufacturing equipment which they manufacture here and export globally. They are being asked to hold Asia bound orders, not cancel, just hold until the Chinese ports open to receive again.

We will get through this, you are already seeing businesses planning for the recovery upswing.

"ALL" of it we did to ourselves. Not going into politics any further than that.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Are we?

Originally Posted by P10crew
Isn't a big percentage of our tires made in China?

Cheap junk tires. It's pretty easy to get tires that aren't made in China.

Aftermarket auto parts supply is going to be tight when the US warehouses clear out.

Not enough labor to bring much manufacturing back to US. 60 years ago worked in a machine shop that manufactured box making machinery then for a company that manufactured vacuum furnaces. Went to work for a utility after that.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
34.gif

It looks like the average manufacturing wage in China in 2018 was $5/hr. Are we willing to spend twice as much for stuff? Unlikely.

What is with. The. Hype?

We are not going to be "out" of many things....much is simply being delayed ...

Harbor Freight is short for a little while....but they too have stuff on the way from China as I speak. Walmart's not quite sweating yet......

We have a delay from China for a customer that is going to show up almost a month late. At least they will get it...

Now before I get beat down here, where the major issue is going to be on "shorts" are going to be your electronic items: IE IPhones, TVs, Gaming systems....and some more. Over 90% of those best sellers come from China.

Unless this virus just happens to really explode during this warm upcoming spring- I sense things coming back to the shelves...

I do expect more companies are build at least some stuf here after this........

Back