Johnson 3.5 Outboard Impeller Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 90s johnson 3.5 2 stroke that has sat in storage in for 10 years nearly, I want to use it:

1. Any gotchas to change the impeller?
2. The motor was stored properly and no fuel in tank and in the carbs but I will clean out tank and run for seafoam to clean out the carb.
3. Anything other maint items other than lubing the metal parts?

Thanks,

Off hand I don't know the process for this particular motor, but it sounds like a cool one and nice to have as a backup, etc!

Check the inside of the tank for debris, condition of the fuel lines, then Id address the gear oil and WP impeller.

I would put it into drum/barrel full of water (its lower leg where impeler is)...just to saturate impeler with water...that will loosen salt crystals inside if it was not stored properly...

Next time when you will be storing it....try that trick....buy car wax (one intended to be diluted with water) and mix it into water when you will be washing/de-salting its internals...wax will help to protect rubber/plastic parts inside (impeler etc)

Moreover.....YT is always your friend
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I would put it into drum/barrel full of water (its lower leg where impeler is)...just to saturate impeler with water...that will loosen salt crystals inside if it was not stored properly...

Next time when you will be storing it....try that trick....buy car wax (one intended to be diluted with water) and mix it into water when you will be washing/de-salting its internals...wax will help to protect rubber/plastic parts inside (impeler etc)

Just FYI, the distance from the closest point in Michigan to any salt water is over 950 kilometers. It's more likely dry-rotten than salty.

Thanks guys!
yeah this thing never saw action in salt, only few months of action in fresh water and the gentleman who bought it new passed.
I bought it from his widow and it sat in my garage for the last 10 years on top my treadmill (think about that before you buy a treadmill)

I want to use it to go out on fast flowing current that my 2 hp honda might not have enough juice to handle, 6 mph currents are possible I have been told.

Changing impellers in those small motors is easy, mostly because the lower unit is light enough to handle without blowing out a hernia. I usually smear a little bit of grease on the shaft and on the inside of the housing when I put on the new one. It probably doesn't make any real difference but it makes me feel better.

Make sure you get the water tube lined up correctly before you bolt it back together.

Originally Posted by stockrex

I have a 90s johnson 3.5 2 stroke that has sat in storage in for 10 years nearly, I want to use it:

1. Any gotchas to change the impeller?
2. The motor was stored properly and no fuel in tank and in the carbs but I will clean out tank and run for seafoam to clean out the carb.
3. Anything other maint items other than lubing the metal parts?

Thanks,

I would also change the lube in the lower half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back