Need advice on Kia Sorento

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have chance to purchase 2015 Sorento that was owned by a travel nurse, who recently passed away. Only drawback is it has 140k miles. I can buy it at "family" price of trade-in value. What do you oil and vehicle experts think? They're getting service records from dealership today. It's the 4 cylinder LX

Last edited:
Many people here only care about one thing : Reliability. How it drives is a big factor to me. It should take a hit in resale because of the high miles given the model year. Some dealers wont sell such a high mileage vehicle, auction it off making it's way to an independent used car lot.

My BiL has a Sorento from that generation. He has the 4cyl and has not had any problem from it. I think it has around 75k now.

Just make sure the trans fluid has been changed and is in good shape. No dipstick so many forget it.

99% chance the trans has never been serviced. My wife has a 2019 Sorento with 20k miles and just did its first drain and refill. Magnet (might as well be a fridge magnet) was covered with material. You'll find the only people that over-maintenance their vehicles are here. I'd pass on that one.

If the service records are good, I'd go for it. Even if the tranny fluid hasn't been changed, it's easy to do, and the highway miles are t putting the strain on the fluid anyhow.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
If the service records are good, I'd go for it. Even if the tranny fluid hasn't been changed, it's easy to do, and the highway miles are t putting the strain on the fluid anyhow.

No friggin' way!
Pass on any price over 2K. The Kias and Hyundais engines (most anyways) didn't begin to improve until 2017. Even the 2016 year was filled with too many tweaks needed, to improve things.

I have to agree with Propflux01. If it drives and shifts fine, you can change the transmission fluid once you buy it. I think the biggest obstacle will be price. It's going to be hard determining a price for this car.

The 2.4 Engine right? When they failed, they tended to fail spectacularly. Manufacturing debris or? If it was going to catch on fire, maybe it would have done so already. I wouldn't necessarily pass on it if the price is low enough.

Consumer Reports gave that particular year off Sorrento an average reliability with above average for engine, and way above average transmission, driveline.

The sore/poor spot was power equipment and also mediocre in body integrity and in car electronics (likely less in LX model),

Seems I'm in the minority, but I'd probably take a stab at owning this at that price if I was in the market for a 3 row SUV. $6500 price point on an SUV, your other options are going to be much older and likely have some age-related issues. Any Pilot or Highlander at that price is going to be 10+ years old. Non-GDI Theta II 2.4s were a lot less troublesome, which I'm almost certain these have the non-GDI.

I'd imagine this thing is sloooooow, though. Theta II is acceptably peppy in a Forte (not fast). With almost twice the weight, it's gotta be pretty bogged down.

Originally Posted by benhen77
Seems I'm in the minority, but I'd probably take a stab at owning this at that price if I was in the market for a 3 row SUV. $6500 price point on an SUV, your other options are going to be much older and likely have some age-related issues. Any Pilot or Highlander at that price is going to be 10+ years old. Non-GDI Theta II 2.4s were a lot less troublesome, which I'm almost certain these have the non-GDI.

I'd imagine this thing is sloooooow, though. Theta II is acceptably peppy in a Forte (not fast). With almost twice the weight, it's gotta be pretty bogged down.

Not all the Sorentos have 3 row SUV, usually option on the cheaper models which the LX is and very good chance it is the GDI engine, as I believe only the 2011 came with non-GDI, with following years GDI switch over. And you are right, it is slowwwwww! Mine started burning oil at 130k, virtually overnight. Many on the Kia Forums complain about these oil-burners.

Kia gives an extended lifetime warranty on that engine. If it blows from bearing failure you get a new free engine. You can verify that with a Kia dealer. Also, looking at some of the forums, if it burns excess oil you may qualify for a new engine as some people have with very high mileage. And it is not limited to the original owner.

Check it over yourself, drive it and listen for noises.

Like said, if it's clean and has been reasonably maintained and you like it, why not.

In terms of the family price thing. I doubt a dealer would give $6500 trade in allowance for it given the miles on it and it's a FWD base model.

Thanks for the input! Decided to pass on the Kia. Wife gave me that look! You know, the one of 'go ahead but you'll pay dearly for it'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back