My 2012 Fiat 500 has been flawless 🤷‍♂️

One of my most relaible engines and transmissions was in my Yugo ( a Fiat made in Yugoslavia!)

I think I had that car longer than any. Wife made me dump it - she said she felt silly being seen in it.

Some Bohemian she is. Bohemian poseur!

It even survived being rolled on it roof by crazy BB fans outside of Fenway park one night.

But if it has power steering - I'm a no go.

They even ruined the Smart ForTwo with PS. Moron engineers and marketers,

A friend of mine had a Fiat 500. Said the [censored] thing had so many transmission issues (known issue across the fiat forums too I guess.) He eventually dumped it for a Mazda 3 not too long ago.

Originally Posted by atikovi
At least I actually own them unlike most haters who never have.

I agree. I don't have the Abarth but mine is still a blast to zip around in. It's funny the reputation it has, Fix it Again Tony. Any modern car is pretty reliable if cared for properly.

Originally Posted by Pew
A friend of mine had a Fiat 500. Said the [censored] thing had so many transmission issues (known issue across the fiat forums too I guess.) He eventually dumped it for a Mazda 3 not too long ago.

A buddy of mine had an Toyota Avalon. Said the engine was so sludged up (Known issue with Toyota) even though he changed the oil regularly. He eventually scrapped it because even installing a junkyard engine would cost more than what it's worth.

I think the confusion here comes from people that imply every one of X car will fail due to reliability issues, which is never the case. What is closer to the truth is that some cars or manufacturers have a higher failure rate. The fiat 500 does seem to have a higher failure rate than equivalent cars. But that doesn't mean you cant get a "good" one that will be trouble free.

I have no desire for a Fiat , but for those that do , knock yourselves out . A small car is not ideal for an old fat man ! :-(

Also , remember , some people could destroy an anvil with a feather !

Originally Posted by Pew

A buddy of mine had an Toyota Avalon. Said the engine was so sludged up (Known issue with Toyota) even though he changed the oil regularly. He eventually scrapped it because even installing a junkyard engine would cost more than what it's worth.

I mean you have to admit, the Fiat 500 is a modern car, the sludge Toyota Avalons were from 2 decades ago...

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Pew

I mean you have to admit, the Fiat 500 is a modern car, the sludge Toyota Avalons were from 2 decades ago...

My reply wasn't so much about that aspect but about the poster referencing someone else actually owning the car, and not personally owning one, but I understand.

My reply wasn't so much about that aspect but about the poster referencing someone else actually owning the car, and not personally owning one, but I understand.

That's like saying because one Ford focus owner with the Powershift trans doesn't have an issue then the transmission is fine. Or headgasket issues with the EJ257. Or paint issues with Mazda and Honda. A known issue is a known issue regardless of who has what.

The manual tranny was the one causing all the issues. The 6 speed automatic is awesome. Same manufacturer that Toyota and Honda uses.

Originally Posted by Harrington
The manual tranny was the one causing all the issues. The 6 speed automatic is awesome. Same manufacturer that Toyota and Honda uses.

My friend had the 500L, maybe that was the difference?

What are the issues with the manual? The normal 5 speed, or the heavy duty 5 speed in the Abarth? I know I have heard of shifter linkeage issues...but nothing of the transmission itself.

Originally Posted by DriveHard

What are the issues with the manual? The normal 5 speed, or the heavy duty 5 speed in the Abarth? I know I have heard of shifter linkeage issues...but nothing of the transmission itself.

My bad. It was the clutch.

There is recall for something with the clutch I had done on a Pop last year. Not a clutch replacement but related to the pedal or slave.

I know there was a limited recall on some manual 500's (some 2012's and 2013's)because the user was able to actuate the clutch a bit too far, putting too much stress on the fingers of the pressure plate...causing it to break, disabling the clutch. The fix was to put a small spacer behind the clutch pedal to limit travel. That is the only recall/problems I know about for the transmission other than the shifter cable linkage.

I jinxed myself. A bulb burned out behind my heater controls and It was $1.00 for the bulb and 15 minutes labor ðŸ‘...‚

I have an explanation for the quality improvement. Since Italy is in the EU, the workers in those car factories are not actually Italians.

Just funning, Tony. Hey, put the machine gun away. Ahhhhhhh.

Back