Engine Rebuilder's view of GDI intake issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO automakers trying to meet CAFE standards have caused auto owners many many problems. Widespread use of GDI engines with transmissions programmed to shift into the highest gear ASAP or sooner lugging the engine and low saps oils which don't last as long are the reasons for these problems.

I recently had a Nissan Rogue rental and it was ridiculous how it always wanted to be in the highest gear. Drivability was terrible...always searching for a gear. I won't have one of these GDI cars. In 2015 my girlfriend bought a new Avalon after verifying that it was port injected and no timing belt. I won't have a GM cylinder de-activation or any car that the engine shuts down at a light.

Originally Posted by loneryder
IMO automakers trying to meet CAFE standards have caused auto owners many many problems. Widespread use of GDI engines with transmissions programmed to shift into the highest gear ASAP or sooner lugging the engine and low saps oils which don't last as long are the reasons for these problems.

I recently had a Nissan Rogue rental and it was ridiculous how it always wanted to be in the highest gear. Drivability was terrible...always searching for a gear. I won't have one of these GDI cars. In 2015 my girlfriend bought a new Avalon after verifying that it was port injected and no timing belt. I won't have a GM cylinder de-activation or any car that the engine shuts down at a light.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but saying that can get you in trouble around here.
wink.gif
Sooner or later unfortunately most of us are going to be forced to own one. The good news is with ESS most of them can be turned off, or there is something in the aftermarket to deactivate the system.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
He doesn't even mention the massive rate of turbocharger failure when these chunks of carbon begin flaking off and getting spit out through that tiny turbine wheel spinning 100,000 rpm... We began seeing a lot of early failures on several different makes and brands of turbos at my last place of employment in the turbocharger rebuilding industry.

Pallets and pallets of Eco-Boost turbos as well as the GM and VAG stuff. Coincidentally most all were GDI...

Interesting. That was the big reason why low-ash oils ended up being spec'ed in the big 2-stroke diesels. They'd idle for a long time, ie: a railway locomotive, and then when the crews would go to fire them up, wham, the carbon deposits would be liberated and would FOD the turbocharger.

GDI has never been a problem, never will be. we only feel this way because PFI used to fix a symptom, but PFI never fixed the problem. The problem stil exists, only difference is GDI does not address the symptom.

The problem is EGR and PCV used together - EGR introduces hot dry soot, PCV introduces cool, wet vapours. Put the two together and you get IVDs!

The solution is to re-engineer EGR and PCV systems so they dont cause the problem in the first place, OR, to leave systems unchanged and allow the problem to continue but start to address the symptoms again by way of fabricating a manifold to allow you to use PFI. mapping and calibrating this would be quite time consuming,

Carburettors are starting to look attractive again
wink.gif

Exactly right in my opinion ^^^^^^^^

I drove a Nissan Altima rental and it did the same thing.... Always in the highest gear and always searching for the highest gear..... Annoying to drive like that.... Made me appreciate my Nissan Altima VQ which does not do that stuff.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Exactly right in my opinion ^^^^^^^^

I drove a Nissan Altima rental and it did the same thing.... Always in the highest gear and always searching for the highest gear..... Annoying to drive like that.... Made me appreciate my Nissan Altima VQ which does not do that stuff.

njuj

Last edited:
Nearing 100K miles on my 2011 3.5 Ecoboost F150. No issues so far. Although the newer EB engines do have dual injectors for better efficiency, as each has an advantage in certain modes of operation. Possibly a nice side benefit is to keep the intake valves clean. But that's not the underlying reason, as the 3.5 does not have intake valve issues.

Originally Posted by super20dan
yet another black eye for the infamous gm 2.4 . equinox

Beat to death long ago, Not that the Ecotech was a bad design....Adapting DI to it was a bad decision.

Originally Posted by Olas
Carburettors are starting to look attractive again
wink.gif

Not to me . When TB injection came out , I thought it was great . Eventually got a car with multi port injection . It seemed better .

Direct injection is fine for diesels . Pretty sure I do not want it in a gas engine .

Agree

Anyone who owned and drove in the 1960s and 70s - especially Chrysler vehicles, never wants anything to do with carbs again.
That's like requesting points and distributors come back also........nada..... never again.

EcoTec GM 2.4L engine is the problem that is most of that article.

Originally Posted by JustN89
My sister-in-law just bought a 2012/2013 Equinox with the 2.4L. I hope that car will be reliable for them as I know they're not in a position to spend a bunch of money replacing it, but it has me concerned. I wish she had asked for a 2nd opinion before buying it...

I'm in that boat. Wish I had read more about them before I helped my wife pick out a 2013 Equinox. It's been disappointingly experiencing known problems. Doors started rusting along the bottom at 3 years old, cam phaser solenoids failed, and it burns about a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles. Even got the letter saying our VIN is covered under the piston ring special service, but the dealer won't budge. She still owes a bit on it, so hoping it holds up until we can get rid of it, preferably before it starts throwing check engine lights for worn out timing chains, another endearing problem to look forward to.

I HATE GDI turbos! My 2er only gets 26 mpg on average and just barely runs under 13 seconds in the quarter mile.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Beat to death long ago, Not that the Ecotech was a bad design....Adapting DI to it was a bad decision.

the 2.4 in the equinox was indeed a bad desighn with more problems than just DI.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

the 2.4 in the equinox was indeed a bad desighn with more problems than just DI.

I said the Ecotech wasn't a bad design....Which is what the 2.4L VVT-DI engine is based on. VVT was also adapted to it as the original versions didn't have it.

The Supercharged LSJ 2.0L Ecotech would take beating! My MIL still drives her 2001 Saturn L200 with over 300,000 on the L61 2.2L.

It's been what, like 50 years since American car companies been making poor cars and trucks. It amazes me how many "car guys" on BITOG buy used Chevys and Fords in 2020. Even in a very distant Ukraine, the glory of unreliability and poor craftsmanship of American cars was known, despite barely any American cars there. It's that famous. Why on Earth would someone get a 5-7 year old Chevy Equinox or similar, when there are Japanese? There is a perfect logical reason for domestic trio losing so much market share over the last 50 years. Yet there is no logical reason why there are so many not particularly bright Americans that still give them business, especially in a used market!!!
06.gif

Pick up trucks are the exception, but only because there are barely any substitutes from foreign brands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back