Teflon tape vs thread compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domestic water pressure tank sprang a leak this week so I had to install a new one. Sealed all threaded connections with Teflon tape. In past experience as amateur DIY plumber the tape seemed to work better than thread compound from the little tube. However this time it has been terrible. I have tightened connections 2 times now and still have minor drips. Very aggravating.

What has worked better for you, tape or compound? If compound is better, what type and brand?

Thanks in advance.

My plumber always like the blue compound stuff and it never really leaked. Teftlon tape has always been hit or miss. He usually gets a big jar of it so it lasts a long time. Not sure what brand it was. Nowadays though everyone is using shark bite fittings so that might work also.

At least 3 wraps; I do 4 or 5. If the threads are old, sealing seems to be more difficult.
You can use teflon tape and pipe dope together.

Good luck.

I bought the blue monster tape and it's thicker and seems more durable than the white stuff. It's holding up well when I've used it.

My Bradford White stainless steel lined boiler fed tank specifies Loctite 565. It has a sticker saying this right on the tank. The original plumber used whte Teflon tape and it leaked after a few years.

Last edited:
On troublesome joints I have noticed that a lot of local plumbers are using tape and then putting dope on top of that (metal fittings only). They claim that galvanized pipes have become especially difficult after they were outsourced to China. I have followed their lead in my workplace greenhouse repairs.

Regarding types or brands, it really seems to be a personal choice among the pros because I see all kinds. On PVC you have to be especially careful to use one that is plastic compatible. Some pros claim that even some that state compatibility are suspect. I visit the professional irrigation forums and use what they recommend.

On the older plumbing forums the old time pros argued that tapered fittings were designed to seal from contact and that the tape or dope was for lubrication only. They debate this ad nausea.

Last edited:
There should only be paste!

Teflon tape is often used to "tighten up" some damaged fittings.

Thanks for all the responses. Seem as though most don't use tape by itself. Menards has the Rector Seal, I may try it instead of Oatey Great White that I didn't like on a previous job.

myself I use compound...I have become less and less fond of Teflon tape

Old plumber I know uses tape then dope on every threaded fitting. After having some leaks with just using one or the other I followed his advice. No leaks since.

I use Oatley Great Blue Pipe Joint Compound and wrap it with Teflon tape. That has been working quite well for me.

I have no problem with Teflon tape. I use at least 3 layers, wrapped the correct direction. Yes, it has a correct direction. Also never put tape on the first thread. Leave it bare so you have a metal to metal connection.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back