Walmart cheap batteries went up to $55

Status
Not open for further replies.
To FT92: I'm all for buying from the salvage yard. It's only the "hit or miss" factor which keeps me away.

How long do your junkyard batteries last on average?

Do you ever run voltage checks on 'em? Gotta love data!

Originally Posted by Kira
I'm all for buying from the salvage yard. It's only the "hit or miss" factor which keeps me away.

You got to read the date code. If it's less than a year old, gold. 1-2 years, OK. I've seen 6 or 7 year old batteries on the shelf at the pick&pull that may test good but may die soon.

Originally Posted by Jim_Truett
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Walmart sells different "tiers" (I don't say models because they're probably identical underneath, you just pay more for the warranty). The "Value" line was $50. I think it's the "MAXX" line that's in the $90-100 range.

I thought the same until I weighed them. Same group size 24 the Value is noticeably lighter. JCI manufacture here.

To be clear, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No big deal....
grin.gif
But remember, Walmart seems to source their batteries regionally too. They could be the same in some markets but different in other markets. From a manufacturing standpoint, there's often little point in making two nearly identical batteries with one having slightly thinner (??) lead plates (??) to sell slightly cheaper. Make them identical internally (to the 'better' spec or design) and price them with warranty value built-in. It's not uncommon to do this.

Meanwhile at SAMs club a lot of batteries including AGMs are on sale.

The marine deep cycles that fit my truck are $39 for example

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Meanwhile at SAMs club a lot of batteries including AGMs are on sale.

The marine deep cycles that fit my truck are $39 for example

Where do you see that. Cheapest is this for $55. https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-marine-battery-group-size-24dc/prod3590219?xid=plp_product_1_7

I should have taken a picture , I was just looking at them a couple hours ago.

IN STORE ONLY $20 off marked price taken at register
NO DELIVERY, NO ONLINE ORDER

Sale was at the Wausau location YMMV

For reference a lot of sales and clearance are not listed online EVER unless someone is nice enough to mention it

My truck is nearing battery replacement, I should get out my tester and go back and grab one if it fails the check.

Some of the $39 batteries look like they would also fit my Comutacar EV, even though marine deep cycles are not ideal well worth $39 (plus a year warranty) a pop for the 6x it takes for a safe 15-20 mile range.

Today at Sams I bought a Warcraft, Bluetooth+ usb vibrating gaming massage chair for $90 for my mother, does all the stuff a more expensive massage chair does but sized for a kid, fits her fine, online SAMs lists it at high $300's but in Store was cheap.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Actually... You are not totally wrong.... The Valuepower battery and the 2 yr free replacement Everstart are in fact the exact same battery. .. Made by East Penn... The 624fmf battery. But like you said it depends upon where you are regionally.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Actually... You are not totally wrong.... The Valuepower battery and the 2 yr free replacement Everstart are in fact the exact same battery. .. Made by East Penn... The 624fmf battery. But like you said it depends upon where you are regionally.

Wish ours were made by East Penn....

Yeah we are lucky in my area man....

Those EP batteries are really well made...

I got my East Penn battery from Federated Auto parts with a 2 yr free replacement warranty for $89... Obviously $45 per warranty year is not too shabby either. Interestingly it is the 524fmf battery that weighs 37 pounds and is rated 550 CCA at 0°F. Yet it carries the 2 yr free replacement warranty. Walmarts one year free replacement warranty battery is the 624fmf battery... Which weighs 41pounds...

FWIW, I took a quick peak when I was in Wal-Mart this afternoon. Every one I bothered to look at was "JC". This is in Central KY.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
FWIW, I took a quick peak when I was in Wal-Mart this afternoon. Every one I bothered to look at was "JC". This is in Central KY.

For fifty five bucks they could be made by elves in a hollow tree for all I care.

Originally Posted by discountdon
[Linked Image]

Here's my almost 4.5 year old Walmart ValuePower 24F Battery made by Johnson Controls - in near daily service since December of 2015!

I was doing some turkey baster maintenance on my power steering system today... measured the battery's resting voltage @ 12.54 Volts - that's after sitting in my driveway for over 12+ hour. no parasitic draw, my multi-meter is calibrated, alternator charging voltage measures 14.40v at idle...

I only decided to 'service' the battery 6 month ago, but pulling the caps off for the very first time to check electrolyte levels and to top off with distilled water. One thing I did notice was the far left battery cell closest to the transmission/engine was low and it's electrolyte was cloudy with what I'm assuming is from the shedding of the lead plates. All other cell's electrolytes were clear, at that time resting voltage was around 12.61 Volts.

So yeah, my battery is decaying
shocked.gif
but I'm still currently above 75% 'State of Charge'

[ will replace it with THIS EQUIVALENT one from Walmart soon ]

I need to figure a way to insulate the battery from the heat
smirk.gif

[Linked Image]

Toyota puts a little foam sleeve around the battery. Maybe you can do something like that? It's either foam or foil I can't remember.

I think if you charge up the battery once in a while it should make it last longer. Driving around on a battery that's not fully charged will also kill it quicker. My AGM battery is now 12+ years old.

Almost 3-1/2 years on the ValuePower 24F in my Camry. 3 years is a miracle for a battery here in Phoenix. Original 237k mile alternator charging it too.

I'll definitely be getting another to replace it when it dies.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I think if you charge up the battery once in a while it should make it last longer. Driving around on a battery that's not fully charged will also kill it quicker. My AGM battery is now 12+ years old.

That battery is in the trunk right wolf ??

That helps a ton with battery longevity.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Almost 3-1/2 years on the ValuePower 24F in my Camry. 3 years is a miracle for a battery here in Phoenix. Original 237k mile alternator charging it too.

I'll definitely be getting another to replace it when it dies.

Yeah that is amazing in your area Nick1994 ... Worth a lottery ticket purchase
lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Wolf359

That battery is in the trunk right wolf ??

That helps a ton with battery longevity.

Yeah, that too, nice and cool back there, doesn't get baked by the engine or the heat in the summer. Probably helps to balance out the weight distribution for handling purposes.

I did have a regular motorcraft battery last 7 years on me before I just replaced it figuring it didn't have much life left, should have let it go for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back