2020 Elantra vs. Forte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta drive em. Got to drive the one you want to buy, also. They all drive with a distinct personality even amongst Identical twins on the lot - given they roll off the line every 4 minutes put together with somewhat varying quality parts.

The Hyundai will likely be USA manufactured, the KIA built in SKorea or سایپا Tehran.

Kia looks better to me in photos but all these car looks severely overstyled and I dislike high beltlines and short side glass in sedans

The 2012 Kia Forte Sedan I had rented in Fla ages ago was the most perfect subcompact car I had driven before or since.

And I had a Ford Contour which was a good drivers car, just a bit tight in the back seat.

In fact that 95 Contour is better than the New Jetta in my driveway. If my car memory could be trusted.

Not much forward progress in driving dynamics - except adding crash safety and ~700 lbs of weight to preserve the inattentive sheeple.

Last edited:
I'm a big believer in Hertz or Avis cars (Enterprise costs too much) two family members and I have had great luck. Didn't look, but you could probably get a one year old version of either for. about eleven grand.

I think Kia is more firm car therefore better handling generally just like Honda while Hyundai is more of Toyota Id say

Kia has a better styling too IMO

Basically the same car, engine, trans, electrical, etc... Maybe some slight differences that you'd notice. Drive one and see which you prefer. Both are good.

Hyundai parts are 10% higher 80% of the time for the exact same part#. You go to the online discount Hyundai stores to get your part# find the dealer who has the best price, There is a 2-5% difference between online Hyundai discount dealers. Then you do to the Kia discount online dealers and get you added 10% off. Just know you will need to give your VIN on every sale our they will not sell the part to you. If I have an expensive part I just go to a Kia dealers used car online to get a KIA vin #

Both cars are 50 to 60%. built with adhesives. I would wait till 2021 because you have a better chance of getting a 2 injector per cylinder engine that stops GDI carbon issues.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Isn't the KIA available as a hatchback, and the Hyundai probably not.
Got it flipped (in the US), Hyundai GT is available, Kia hatches stay in Europe. Would be that way if we were talking about Rio vs. Accent.

Last edited:
Whichever one you can get a better deal on
smile.gif

This link may offer info that is too generic to be of help but I added it here for potential help. Just reviewing it, something might stand out that's an important trait to you and be worthy of more focus.

https://www.newcars.com/reviews/hyundai-elantra-vs-kia-forte-sedan.html

If a dead heat, I'd look at weight to horsepower to see if they both feel or perform 0 - 60 the same. In my case, why not get the quicker of the two?
If the prefs for appearance is important, consider that but the real thing is a test drive.
How does it feel, respond/handling or body roll. How does it ride, road noise, even what we call "butt horse power" ? Sometimes cars just feel faster no matter what the specs say.
Is seating more comfy or tunable in one versus the other.
What about input from spouse or another driver if the car is shared ? Dealer support, local for both ? Dealer ratings by car owners ? Color prefs' ?

Interesting comparison,, keep us informed !
cool.gif

Last edited:
While it was once offered on the Elantra, only the Kia EX has front vented seats for 2020. One of my brothers has an Acura MDX with vented seats which he brags about.

The rare 1.6 turbo has an available 6 speed manual in the Kia, but not in the Elantra for 2020.
Only the 1.6 turbo has an independent rear suspension and such models come with 305 mm front rotors.

Two grips I have on my 2018 Elantra is the road noise and lack of steering feel compared to the VW I had.

Seriously, test drive the car on the freeway at 70 MPH and see if you can tolerate it.

We rented a Elantra a while back in CA. Drove it 3k miles in 10 days. We thought it was a great little car. Great mpg and amenities for a small car. Certainly like them better than comparable corollas as rentals.

The little Elantra was one of the reasons we looked into and ended up purchasing a Tucson.

I say drive both and see for yourself. I think both cars will surprise you from a quality and comfort standpoint within this class of car.

When I bought my 2014 elantra, I was set on a forte. I went to the Kia dealer and was cornered by the golf cart shark. After a very high pressure sakes tactic I told the guy I was gonna think it over during lunch. I went a half mile down the road and looked at Elantra's. They were unlocked, so I sat in one. The difference was night and day. I ended up getting the elantra. But had I not checked them both out, I'd have never realized it.

Just to add a few pieces of information if it helps:

As many have said, you MUST drive both as while they are built on the same chassis, their suspensions are tuned differently with the Kia being firmer. Also, the Kia has less sound deadening materials when comparing the 2020 models (The Elantra gained more sound deadening for 2020. Something I can confirm as I've owned both a 2017 and 2020.).

Contrary to what was posted above by another member, all Elantra's purchased in North America regardless of trim are built in either Montgomery, Alabama or Ulsan, South Korea. ALL Kia Forte's sold in North America other than the GT are built in Mexico.

The 1.6T is the only GDI engine found in either vehicle. The other engine in both is a 2.0L MPI only engine connected to a CVT (2020 only on the Elantra) developed by Hyundai/Kia that uses a chain instead of a belt like a traditional CVT.

Last, the Elantra comes with more safety features standard in the lower trims than the Forte. Specifically, Blind-Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert are standard from the SEL trim and above. Those don't come on the Forte until the GT-Line trim.

Thanks guys...I hadn't checked this thread in a few days because I was preoccupied with my 'stuck oil filter"....I asked because I see a ton of Forte's in Florida...but not in NY....CGBrian: That's interesting (and informative) that the Hyundai has more safety features in the lower trims... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back