Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 specs confusing

I was looking at 5w-40 oils the other day. I ran into the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40. I was surprised and a little excited to find that it had an API SN+ ratin, to my knowledge there is no SN+ rated 5w-40 oils.

When I got home, I looked on the Pennzoil website, and it and found a disclaimer that the SN+ rating does not apply to the Euro formula:

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum-euro.html

What gives? Which one is it?

F9B3B9B7-5B4C-43ED-8C0F-7175C8192BA2.jpeg

Last edited:
What you have there is the Canadian jug. Shell CANADA bottles makes and bottles Pennzoil products in Canada. It appears the error is in the French language section.

I have a Canadian Jug from a year ago and it does not have any mention of SN plus.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It appears the error is in the French language section.

Both English and French language sections mention SN PLUS.

It's also in the donut symbol on the right.

API SN+ is not approval. What I think Pennzoil is doing here is letting customers know that it is OK to use this oil where SN+is required.
However, API SN+ is so unremarkable specification that it is meaningless to pay attention to it.

This is a great oil! I wish I could get it here without ordering it through WalMart. I'd use it without hesitation!

The dealer used Pennzoil 5W40 for the free oil changes under VW's free maintenance when I owned a 2013 GTI. It seemed 5W40 robbed a few horsepower vs 5W30. I didn't like it.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It appears the error is in the French language section.

Both English and French language sections mention SN PLUS.

It's also in the donut symbol on the right.

You are right Quattro, My vision flowed directly down directly from the English SN to the French SN Plus. Tabarnac!
blush.gif

Last edited:
I've looked at this oil at three different locations now. I have a hard time believing it's a labelling error. I'm wondering if the new formulation is indeed SN+ but the information on the website has not been updated. Last update is 2015 on the website.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The dealer used Pennzoil 5W40 for the free oil changes under VW's free maintenance when I owned a 2013 GTI. It seemed 5W40 robbed a few horsepower vs 5W30. I didn't like it.

Yes, bcs HTHS is higher, it will take turbo to spool longer. Plus if you used older ones, they had pretty high HTHS. I think at one point they were at 3.88.

Originally Posted by edyvw
API SN+ is not approval. What I think Pennzoil is doing here is letting customers know that it is OK to use this oil where SN+is required.
However, API SN+ is so unremarkable specification that it is meaningless to pay attention to it.

That is true in my opinion edyvw... The API SN plus is really nothing compared to MB 229.5 etc etc...

Even ACEA A5 B5 is a good bit tougher a spec to hit vs a basic API SN+.

All those other approvals on the oil are about eleventy billion times harder to meet than SN+... The latter is hardly relevant.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by edyvw

That is true in my opinion edyvw... The API SN plus is really nothing compared to MB 229.5 etc etc...

Even ACEA A5 B5 is a good bit tougher a spec to hit vs a basic API SN+.

SN Plus addresses the controversial topic of LPSI in the European engine oil forum

I purchased a quart from pepboys just to test the SN plus formulation. There's a link in my signature to the VOA of it. I don't think it's an error. I too have looked for the PDS on their website and found it to be outdated. Maybe the website hasn't been updated?

I found this PDS from another user here late last year. See the attachment

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back