Dealership Detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car had swirl marks put into the paint. Most do. When I contacted the dealer, they said they would fix it free of charge. The guy claims they have a good detailer. I'm skeptical. I'm debating on whether to just take it to my friend who is very good and skip the dealership. They could potentially make it worse. Thoughts?

If you know your friend is excellent at paint correction, just take it to him. In my experience, most car dealerships really don't have someone that is good at paint correction unless they farm it out to someone else. A lot of dealerships don't even have body shops anymore. They just send that work off.

Good luck and I hope your car turns out great for you!

What do you think the dealer is going to say? I use to work at a Honda dealer when I started out as a mechanic. The detail crew was guys just out of high school that hated life, smoked weed and would quit showing up to work
because they could find another low paying job down the street.

My 0.02 cents

*Did this dealership put in the scratches - is this why they'll fix it for FREE?
*Will this friend of yours fix it for FREE?

I would give the dealership an honest chance & have the dealer fix the scratches for FREE as they mentioned.

Also, see if you can first talk to the detail person that is going to do the work on your car. Be very friendly and ask this person what they're going to do and... IMPORTANT --- "Point Out Your Concerns"!

If you're NOT satisfied with your conversation with the detail person then walk away(thank you) & take your car to your friend.

I you ARE satisfied with your conversation but later, you're NOT satisfied with the detailer's workmanship then again, take it to your friend.

I know this sounds like a lot of extra steps if things DON'T work out for you. However, this may in fact work out for you for FREE! ...insteading paying someone, even a friend.

NO WAY!! Unless you know who is going to detail the car and have seen his work, I wouldn't let the dealership have their detail guy touch my car ever. In the five different dealers I worked for there wasn't one good detail guy in any of them. I'd either do it myself or bring it to someone I trust. Last two new vehicles I bought I had them write in big bold print on the buyers order not to detail the vehicle, then I called to remind them as the time of arrival got closer. They saved money, and I saved grief.

The reason I gave my 0.02 cents in my comment above is that, the dealerships detailers in my area are quite impressive. I've seen their inventory of used vehicles that their detail shop has put out. I've often said, "OH WOW!"
laugh.gif
In the good way!

I've seen some of the vehicles going in on trade or coming from the auction. And then later when the vehicle was put out on the used car lot.

Last edited:
All valid points. I'll swing by and check it out. I have little confidence in this particular dealership to being with.

Having my friend do it will cost me $250. He does a phenomenal job though.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The reason I gave my 0.02 cents in my comment above is that, the dealerships detailers in my area are quite impressive. I've seen their inventory of used vehicles that their detail shop has put out. I've often said, "OH WOW!"
laugh.gif
In the good way!

I've seen some of the vehicles going in on trade or coming from the auction. And then later when the vehicle was put out on the used car lot.

I believe it. It really just depends. Who knows maybe they do have someone really good.....I doubt it but I'll check it out before paying.

Originally Posted by buster
All valid points. I'll swing by and check it out. I have little confidence in this particular dealership to being with.

Having little confidence in the dealership, IMO it's worth the $250 for your friend vs. playing Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in the gun.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Having little confidence in the dealership, IMO it's worth the $250 for your friend vs. playing Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in the gun.

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I've never had anyone detail a vehicle for me - I just do it myself. But I've read that the true test of any detailer is a black vehicle. Ask to see a black vehicle that the dealership's detailer has done. If that's good, their detailer will be fine.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

laugh.gif
That's funny.

Years ago, our local dealerships detail & paint shop left a lot to be desired in terms of their finished product as did the rest of the dealership practices and sales force(attitude). I mean honestly, they really sucked! Now there is a huge improvement.

Hundreds of cars on the roads "detailed" by the dealers - holograms, swirls, scratches - you name it. Avoid at any cost, unless you want your paint jacked up beyond return (you can't put clear coat back)

We had a great dtailer at my dealer- I took the Club Sport to him before I displayed it at the Keeneland Concours in 2018.

I was actually surprised the Honda dealership didn't swirl the paint up with their pre-delivery prep. I thought they must have used something with a lot of fillers, but even after wiping the car down with a paint prep before coating it, there were no noticeable swirling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back