300,000 miles and still rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Nice job! But considering reputation CVT has especially in Nissan of that time, is there anything particular you paid attention to? Any driving habits?

Well edyvw I did try to notice the sounds of the car... That did seem to be a strong indicator of potential issues from all the reading I have done. That is why I finally got around to changing the CVT fluid in my car.

Has far as driving habits.... It is hammer down if at all possible man
lol.gif

I seriously drive the car hard if I can... Getting up to 60 mph in a hurry. . Or getting on the interstate and going from 30 mph to 78 mph in a fast manner. The car still runs very well under hard acceleration.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Originally Posted by bbhero

My dumb donkey self forgot to mention all the oils I have run it the car...all 5w30 except a run of 0w30 Castrol Edge and a occasional run of a 10w30 like Havoline Pro DS or Mobil Super Synthetic...

Pennzoil Ultra
Castrol gold bottle
Pennzoil Gold
Castrol Magnatec
Castrol Ultraclean
Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic
Valvoline White bottle
Valvoline Maxlife
Havoline Pro DS
Havoline DS
Havoline high mileage
Mobil Super
Mobil Super Synthetic
Carquest full synthetic
Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic
Cam2 SuperproMax
Lubrigold
Warren Oil
Federated Auto parts full synthetic
Motorcraft
Quaker State ultimate durability
Quaker State high mileage
Castrol Edge 0w30
Royal Purple
Formula Shell
Peak high mileage
Peak full synthetic

Typical BITOG maintenance history. Never use the same oil twice.

I think you've hit on something. The different brands use different detergent formulas. What the first oil leaves behind, the second oil takes away. Or maybe the eighth oil.

A lot of us actually use the same oil.

My Tacoma in my sig has never had anything but Mobil 1 (I've only varied the particular flavor of M1 a few times; used vanilla M1 for a while, then the old M1 Truck & SUV for a while, then, at about 75,000 miles, I switched to M1-EP, and have stayed with that variety ever since. Only thing I've varied with that is occasionally using the 10W-30 instead of 5W-30 sometimes.

But, I've wondered about the theory you mention. Wondering if it might actually be better for the engine to vary it up.

These days, I'm certainly not opposed to using different oils. Definitely not married to M1; when I had my 2016 WRX, I used PPPP 10W-30 exclusively.

I know that M1-EP is a very good oil, with a significant % of PAO. Am I convinced that it's the best for the money? No. In fact, lately I've been intrigued by many of Gokhan's posts about viscosity modifiers, and certain oils that are able to meet multigrade specs while using VERY little VM - for example, Valvoline Advanced and PPPP come to mind. Certain Amsoil, also.

To be honest... My car actually saw multiple runs consecutively of say Pennzoil Ultra.. . Or Castrol Extended Performance gold bottle 5w30.. Especially the first two years I had the car.

Lately it has been Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic... And just now the Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30.

The most miles I have ever put on a vehicle was slightly over 340,000 miles. On an '88 Honda Accord LX w/2.0L & 2bbl carburetor in 18 years. I have put on over 200K-250K miles on several others.

But the miles have slowed down massively. Now retired with no kids at home: who were into travel sports, school events and we don't own a home in FL any longer in which we often drove from Rochester to Tampa & back often. We still do some driving but, more along the lines of ~12K+ miles/year at most.

Yeah that certainly makes sense CB...

I actually memorized the US interstate system by the time I was 9 years old... I knew all 50 states and capitals too. I knew almost all the counties in Virginia has well. 100 of them..

One oddity that always struck me was a section of interstate 70 west of Denver where it was not completed... And where Rte 6 took over for about a 6-8 mile stretch. That was the case from the early 80s through into the 90s... I saw a History show about roads in the US and I found out the reason why it took so long for that part of interstate 70 to be completed... A very narrow area along the Colorado River made it very difficult to build that part of 70. Environmental factors played a big role has well... Eventually solved with a elevated bridge through that whole section of interstate 70. One of the most scenic parts of the Eisenhower interstate system.

Other odd things still continue to confound me to this day...uke interstate 88 that is in your state of NY... Yet it also appears in Illinois.... And it's not linked together between those two locations.... Or interstate 76 which ends in Ohio.... Then magically reappears in western Nebraska and goes to Denver Colorado....

Love high mileage stories! Great work!

What do you do to drive so much? Big commute? Sales? Uber?

The longest I took a car was 289,000 miles...1999 Honda Accord owned since new. Really wish I could have got it to 300,000 but my commute was too long and I was starting to worry about the thing breaking down.

Great car but it did require a lot of work along the way (no major component repair, but it was all of the little things). Steering rack, gas tank, evap, engine mounts, control arms, ball joints, tie rods, sensors...had to replace the subframe once. Most repairs were done 2-3 times by the time I was done. Great car though.

This long thread (congrats to OP) has only 2 mentions of being free from payments.

Ben Franklin said, "B.Free of car payments".

Even Gandhi said, "Car payments enslave".

not really

Originally Posted by bbhero
To be honest... My car actually saw multiple runs consecutively of say Pennzoil Ultra.. . Or Castrol Extended Performance gold bottle 5w30.. Especially the first two years I had the car.

Lately it has been Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic... And just now the Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30.

Good to hear Captain
smile.gif

Congrats as well
10.gif

We've had 3 vehicles go beyond 300K with the original powertrain. None of them ever had a drop of synthetic anything in them. The '94 Accord that I had...I replaced the original clutch at 224K miles due to the release bearing starting to squeal. I sold the car with 308K miles on it...for $1800. I STILL see it around from time to time.

bbhero said:
.....One oddity that always struck me was a section of interstate 70 west of Denver where it was not completed... And where Rte 6 took over for about a 6-8 mile stretch. That was the case from the early 80s through into the 90s... I saw a History show about roads in the US and I found out the reason why it took so long for that part of interstate 70 to be completed... A very narrow area along the Colorado River made it very difficult to build that part of 70. Environmental factors played a big role has well... Eventually solved with a elevated bridge through that whole section of interstate 70. One of the most scenic parts....
bbhero said:
The legend is that I-70 was to end in Denver. The City father types lobbied Dwight Eisenhower by taking him fishing in the mountains west of town. Ike was an avid fisherman. It worked. So now we have this engineering marvel that vaults over the Rocky Mountains—-and ends in the middle of nowhere in Utah.

That's the story, anyway.

maybe i missed it but wjat kind of car is this? pretty impressive if original engine.

my record is a 99 civic ex with 320k miles on original drivetrain and. i had to replace the original clutch around 200k mikes.

second highest mileage car was a 2004 rsx type s with 240k miles.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
We've had 3 vehicles go beyond 300K with the original powertrain. None of them ever had a drop of synthetic anything in them. The '94 Accord that I had...I replaced the original clutch at 224K miles due to the release bearing starting to squeal. I sold the car with 308K miles on it...for $1800. I STILL see it around from time to time.

Yeah one does not need a full synthetic oil to get high high mileage.... The oil just needs to be changed sooner, make sure to maintain the radiator and never over heat the vehicle, and attempt to keep the transmission in good condition...
Of note to me was just how clean my CVT fluid stayed... I could not hardly see it on the stick until 120,000+ miles. Even at 250,000 miles the CVT fluid looked better than motor oil with just 2k miles on it. Now with the new CVT fluid in my car I can hardly see it on there even with 16k plus miles on it... And it's clean just like it was when I purchased the car.

Awesome!!

It's amazing she's on the original wheel bearings and lower control arms.

That's been a good car for you Sir.

And people rag on Nissan and/or CVTs. Some good ones, some not so much I guess.

Originally Posted by JTK
Awesome!!

It's amazing she's on the original wheel bearings and lower control arms.

That's been a good car for you Sir.

And people rag on Nissan and/or CVTs. Some good ones, some not so much I guess.

Yeah this car has done rather well...

I know the wheel bearing was replaced on the right side and lower control arm... From running over that tree in January 2013.. . That was a hard hard hit... A moron driving in front of me must have not been paying any attention and by the time I saw the tree I was there... Hit and ran over it going 25-30 mph... I pulled over and did a check on the car thinking the radiator was possibly busted... It was not amazingly enough... The front valence was cracked about 1 inch in length from the bottom and the right side fog light was ripped out... Taped the light in place and replaced the fog light and it worked. The frame rail on the right side had fins that were smashed flat... No signs of pulling or any alignment issues .. surprisingly enough too. I was rather lucky in that circumstance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back