300,000 miles and still rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Great job, buddy!

Do you have any issues with the car?

Nah man...

Only issue recently was a vibration slowing down a couple of months ago developed... I believe it was the right side CV axle... It had been throwing moly grease for a good while... I got a Carquest CV axle "new" one put in... We will see how long that puppy lasts
lol.gif

I actually took a couple of trips last year to the mountains... A long day driving trip. Even though the car had 260k miles plus. I had that much confidence in the car still...

Always good to see you on here....

Originally Posted by HangFire
Well done! I hope to get there some day in my 2010 Camry purchased last year with 39K on it. About to hit 70K (yeah I drive a lot too).

Mixed ATF, a Nissan CVT and Goodyear tires. Certainly not BITOG favorites, but if it works, it works!

Yeah the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires were a massive improvement over the original Bridgestone Turanzas... Those were no bueno.

The CVT I believe is better matched with a 3.5 L VQ motor... The fluid mixing was just a change in plans mid stream... Oddly my car's CVT got a bit louder with the Castrol CVT fluid.... And that drain and refill there was shimmery materials in the CVT oil... In went Eneos CVT fluid... Much quieter with that CVT fluid in it. Second drain and refill with the Eneos CVT fluid made it even better/quieter. To be fair I don't believe the Castrol CVT fluid was bad or did anything wrong. I think it was very likely the new CVT fluid put in the transmission with that many miles on it and the old fluid was the real issue there.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Good job! I have had 2 300k + vehicles in my life. A 1957 Chevy Pickup and a 1990 Ford Ranger.

Yeah those old Ford Rangers would actually last a long, long time. Even my dad's Ford Ranger lasted from 1989-2010. . And he did not really take care of that truck very well at all.

Yeah.... That a old old old vehicle.... Way older than mine by a long shot...

Harryj has a 1992 Honda with like 540,000 miles... That car is in great shape too...

Originally Posted by fcjeep
My compliments to you for outstanding maintenance to achieve that milestone.

Can't argue with results but he went 283,000 miles on the factory CVT fluid.......
crazy2.gif

300k is impressive mileage on any vehicle, congrats!

I was not too concerned AZjeff... The car always ran just fine with the old CVT fluid in it.... But... I noticed it was getting louder and louder at low speed and high load circumstances... Plus when it got cool in late summer and early fall the noise was accentuated... This why I started changing the CVT fluid out before winter came in. Figured it was time
lol.gif

Looking back... I should have probably changed the CVT fluid at like 225,000 miles....

And thank you by the way for the congrats.

Last edited:
My Buddy is TRYING to get his vibe there, but at his last Oilchange(approx 230k mi), they told him that the bottom hinge on the drivers door is close to detaching from the body...
haven't sen it myself, so not sure if that means broken welds, or bolts pulling through the metal, or what... 2nd/3rd hand info and all..

we were both looking forward to seeing the well documented fault in the odometers of those models.... they just STOP @ 299,999mi. no matter how far past that you drive, it will never tick over to 300k mi..

I'm starting to hear many stories about CVT's easily going past the 200,000 mile mark with no issues. Yet I'm hearing more stories about 8,9 and 10 speed automatics failing well before 100,000 miles. Its to the point if I were looking at new cars, I'd consider certain models with a CVT if I were to buy an automatic.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
... What is that? Looks like a large GM truck (90s Kodiak/Topkick), but not really.
It was the '81 Mazda in my signature----about as far as one could get from a large GM truck. A couple of months before that photograph, it made a trip to Little Rock (about 1400 miles total) uneventfully.

My brother took an '85 Jetta well past 300k, and his Avalon is over 340k now. Such distances shouldn't be difficult to reach with reasonable maintenance and a few repairs, barring major design flaws.

Originally Posted by bbhero

My dumb donkey self forgot to mention all the oils I have run it the car...all 5w30 except a run of 0w30 Castrol Edge and a occasional run of a 10w30 like Havoline Pro DS or Mobil Super Synthetic...

Pennzoil Ultra
Castrol gold bottle
Pennzoil Gold
Castrol Magnatec
Castrol Ultraclean
Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic
Valvoline White bottle
Valvoline Maxlife
Havoline Pro DS
Havoline DS
Havoline high mileage
Mobil Super
Mobil Super Synthetic
Carquest full synthetic
Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic
Cam2 SuperproMax
Lubrigold
Warren Oil
Federated Auto parts full synthetic
Motorcraft
Quaker State ultimate durability
Quaker State high mileage
Castrol Edge 0w30
Royal Purple
Formula Shell
Peak high mileage
Peak full synthetic

Typical BITOG maintenance history. Never use the same oil twice.

I think you've hit on something. The different brands use different detergent formulas. What the first oil leaves behind, the second oil takes away. Or maybe the eighth oil.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Originally Posted by bbhero

My dumb donkey self forgot to mention all the oils I have run it the car...all 5w30 except a run of 0w30 Castrol Edge and a occasional run of a 10w30 like Havoline Pro DS or Mobil Super Synthetic...

Pennzoil Ultra
Castrol gold bottle
Pennzoil Gold
Castrol Magnatec
Castrol Ultraclean
Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic
Valvoline White bottle
Valvoline Maxlife
Havoline Pro DS
Havoline DS
Havoline high mileage
Mobil Super
Mobil Super Synthetic
Carquest full synthetic
Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic
Cam2 SuperproMax
Lubrigold
Warren Oil
Federated Auto parts full synthetic
Motorcraft
Quaker State ultimate durability
Quaker State high mileage
Castrol Edge 0w30
Royal Purple
Formula Shell
Peak high mileage
Peak full synthetic

Typical BITOG maintenance history. Never use the same oil twice.

I think you've hit on something. The different brands use different detergent formulas. What the first oil leaves behind, the second oil takes away. Or maybe the eighth oil.

So far on my 18 Grand Caravan I have used Napa Durablend, Havoline ProDs and now Valvoline Daily Blend. It has less than 15k and no telling what is going in next. I plan on this one to last my oil list will look like this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
Great work BBhero!!!

Thank you SR5.

Very good to see you on here SR5... I hope that you have been doing good.

Nice job! But considering reputation CVT has especially in Nissan of that time, is there anything particular you paid attention to? Any driving habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back