Newest Ford 3.5 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is snap of the 2020 Ford 3.5 Eco-boost engine. Does anyone know if they redesigned the water pump location so it is no longer under the timing cover? This shot shows what might be an external water pump.

Ford 3.5 2nd Gen.PNG

Ford 3.5 2nd Gen part 2.PNG

does it use both port and direct injection for efficiency and power. some engines like my traded 1.8t 2001 jetta and its replacement 2001 tt 225q water pumps are like doing a timing belt and are beat replaced at the same time as i do

In pickups the pump is external and in cars with the motor in the wrong way the pump is internal .

That is the high output 3.5 only available on the F-150 Limited 2019+ model year. At least that is what it looks like based on the writing below the engine pic.

Originally Posted by benjy
does it use both port and direct injection for efficiency and power.

Yes. Also helps keep the valve stems clean.

I think that's the standard 3.5L EB engine that you get in the 2020 F150. The high output version is 450HP and is available in the Raptor and Limited.

Last edited:
Nah. That's the normal output 3.5 eco since 2018. The high output is 450hp and 510 ft lbs. They look the same from the outside.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
That is the high output 3.5 only available on the F-150 Limited 2019+ model year. At least that is what it looks like based on the writing below the engine pic.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Nah. That's the normal output 3.5 eco since 2018. The high output is 450hp and 510 ft lbs. They look the same from the outside.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wallyuwl

They need to "Raptorize" the Expedition FX4 and offer it with that 450 HP HO EcoBoost.

Would be the fastest full-size ute, by far.

I dont understand why they need twin turbos to break 100hp/l. the standard model is 3.5l and 375hp but you can hit those numbers with heads and cams and save all the wight and complexity of the turbos.
manufactureers cater to what the market wants, I get that, but 375 seems like an awfully small number from a twin turbo V6 when we've had 100hp/l NA engines for decades.

but hey, if they can produce them for cheap and sell at a large margin then thats good business practice. you have to wonder what consumers actually expect and wether this is influenced by the corporations that sell to them.

Originally Posted by Olas
I dont understand why they need twin turbos to break 100hp/l. the standard model is 3.5l and 375hp but you can hit those numbers with heads and cams and save all the wight and complexity of the turbos.
manufactureers cater to what the market wants, I get that, but 375 seems like an awfully small number from a twin turbo V6 when we've had 100hp/l NA engines for decades.

but hey, if they can produce them for cheap and sell at a large margin then thats good business practice. you have to wonder what consumers actually expect and wether this is influenced by the corporations that sell to them.

Near zero lag, huge area under the curve in torque, highly efficient when you're not wailing on it, the list goes on...

Let's talk about that. One naturally aspirated high performance engine readily obtainable is the 5.0 in the 2020 Mustang. It makes 460 HP at 7,000 rpm. Dang, didn't make it to 100 HP per liter.

The 2020 Corvette 6.2 liter naturally aspirated motor makes 495 hp at 6450 rpm. Nuts, it didn't make it either.

The Ferrari Superfast 812 does. It makes 789 HP with it's 6.5 V-12 engine but unfortunately costs $360,000.

What's your favourite naturally aspirated engine that makes 100 HP/ liter especially in the 3 to 5 liter range.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Let's talk about that. One naturally aspirated high performance engine readily obtainable is the 5.0 in the 2020 Mustang. It makes 460 HP at 7,000 rpm. Dang, didn't make it to 100 HP per liter.

The 2020 Corvette 6.2 liter naturally aspirated motor makes 495 hp at 6450 rpm. Nuts, it didn't make it either.

The Ferrari Superfast 812 does. It makes 789 HP with it's 6.5 V-12 engine but unfortunately costs $360,000.

What's your favourite naturally aspirated engine that makes 100 HP/ liter especially in the 3 to 5 liter range.
smile.gif

BMW I6 s54 in the E46 M3 is my favorite. Beautiful engine. The Gt350 also achieves it from its 5.2L masterpiece. Too many others to list.

Highest hp/liter motor Ford makes is the 325hp 2.7 liter Ecoboost V6 which rates at 120hp per. Another unique characteristic of the 2.7 is peak torque 400 lb-ft occurs at only 2750 rpm, at least in the F150 application.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Highest hp/liter motor Ford makes is the 325hp 2.7 liter Ecoboost V6 which rates at 120hp per. Another unique characteristic of the 2.7 is peak torque 400 lb-ft occurs at only 2750 rpm, at least in the F150 application.

The Raptor and Limited/Navigator motor would like a word with you. 128 hp/liter.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

The Raptor and Limited/Navigator motor would like a word with you. 128 hp/liter.

Plus it puts out its 450 HP at 5000 rpm. You don't have to walk it up to 7500 rpm like the GT 350 to get to it's peak power.

Different applications. The GT350 lives at high RPMs for road racing and does't have to tow.. The Navigator doesn't road race (unless you're in NFS:Underground 2) and it would be a total boon to tow at 7000 rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back