100 octane ethanol free gasoline with TC-W3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

What do you think, instead of buying TuFuel Pre-Mixed Engineered Fuel 50:1 110 oz for $20.00 I make my own with 100 octane ethanol free racing gasoline with the proper amount of TC-W3 to achieve a 50:1 blend? I can purchase the 100 octane ethanol free racing gasoline for $9.79 gallon. Any drawbacks?

I have a 20 year old weed wacker and a blower as well as another weed wacker that is 7 years old and they have been used to cut 3 Acres a year for fire protection a well as home and rental use running universal 2 stroke oil and pump gas with up to 10% ethanol. I haven't had any problems that some imagine they will have.They sit from November till April with a full tank of gas and no voodoo stabilizer since new mixed at 32 to 1

is that leaded or not as well as how much oxygenates, whatever works and costs without issues is good

100 Low Lead Avation gas. It's got plenty of lead no alcohol and it'll probably last five years sitting and I can't easily. Just take your favorite 5 gallon cans head on out to a smaller field with a credit card in hand.

You could. The worst thing I've found about E 10 is its poor shelf life. I saved the can my 40:1 Trufuel came in. Its my new 2stroke mix can. 1 oz of universal 2 stroke Valvoline per qt of E 10. Less than a buck a qt. Mixed in such small batches no stabilizer is needed. All my 2 strokes run fine on the mix.50 :1 is an EPA spec. It isn't designed to prolong engine life.
grin2.gif

Since you Don't need high octane for that 2 -stoke ODPE.

It is Very easy to make Ethanol free.

The ethanol in the gas bonds to water,

So add a bit of water, shake well, let settle out for a 1/2 hour then drain the water off the bottom. of the container.

You can put a bung in a poly bottle to do this - or buy one of those fancy lemon water servers with a spigot on the bottom.

Now you have vodka and 85 octane! Party time !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mez
What do you think, instead of buying TuFuel Pre-Mixed Engineered Fuel 50:1 110 oz for $20.00 I make my own with 100 octane ethanol free racing gasoline with the proper amount of TC-W3 to achieve a 50:1 blend? I can purchase the 100 octane ethanol free racing gasoline for $9.79 gallon. Any drawbacks?

Not really any drawbacks. If you prefer an unleaded high performance fuel, VP-Fuels "C-9" is a 96 octane, non oxygenated unleaded. Similarly, Sunoco's "Optima" is a 95 octane, non oxygenated unleaded. Keep in mind that the lead content of many race fuels is high enough to eventually foul the spark plugs of outdoor equipment.

I use C-9 at 32 to 1 with an EG-D rated oil.

From Sunocco website:

Sunoco SS 100 is an unleaded high octane gasoline that is street-legal in California and a few other locations that follow CARB regulations. Its 100 octane rating will allow increased boost levels in supercharged or turbocharged applications compared to premium pump gas. Sunoco SS 100 can be used in high performance vehicles both old and new. It can also be used in applications such as motorcycles, ATVs, karts, and other smaller engine vehicles.

Sunoco SS 100 will not harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It does not contain metallic compounds. SS 100 contains a comprehensive additive package to minimize engine and fuel system deposits. It is compatible with two-stroke synthetic and mineral-based engine oils. As with any gasoline, it should be stored in opaque, tightly sealed containers and kept where temperatures are stable. Properly stored, the shelf life of SS 100 is in excess of 1 year.

Originally Posted by mez
From Sunocco website:

Sunoco SS 100 is an unleaded high octane gasoline that is street-legal in California and a few other locations that follow CARB regulations. Its 100 octane rating...

Sunoco SS 100 is 9.5% Ethanol. It's an oxygenated fuel and it is not ideal for OPE.

NOTE: 100LL Avgas has not been replaced with an unleaded 100 octane fuel, despite a serious push to do so. Reason: It's exceedingly difficult to make a viable NON OXYGENATED 100 octane unleaded gasoline.

I suggested two fuels above that will make a great choice for OPE.

Last edited:
I do exactly what ARCOgraphite posted above.

I use beefy 3L glass containers, discarded acid jugs from our lab. Use your resourcefulness to decant the gas from the water/alcohol. I use a length of plastic tube to siphon out the water, and store the E0 gas in the container with the bit of water on the bottom.

Most of the Walmart stores in Arkansas with a Murphy branded gas station of nonethanol 91-93 grade for around 60 cents more per gallon than 87 E10. Would this not serve the purpose of a nonethanol gas to be mixed with 2 stroke? I use it for my RX7 and it seems to love it.

I would not mess with leaded fuel. Especially in chainsaws where we breathe that exhaust. I use regular e10 gas with whatever 2 stroke oil I have mixed at 32:1. Haven't had a problem.

What works here is mid grade 89 octane mixed with 50/1 synthetic usually Sthil or Yamalube. Add the recommended.marine fuel saver and be good for up to a year. The 89 octane works best in the air cooled engines, better hot starting with older engines.

Originally Posted by mez
I can purchase the 100 octane ethanol free racing gasoline for $9.79 gallon.

What does 100LL cost at your local airfield? Gotta be cheaper than 9.79! Others have mentioned buuying cheap pump gas and adding water to remove the ethanol even cheaper again.

What is the compression ratio of the equipment? What AKI does it actually *need*?

From Sunocco website:

NOTE: 100LL Avgas has not been replaced with an unleaded 100 octane fuel, despite a serious push to do so. Reason: It's exceedingly difficult to make a viable NON OXYGENATED 100 octane unleaded gasoline.

I suggested two fuels above that will make a great choice for OPE.

I agree that 100UL is not here yet, however I disagree that it is difficult to make - its a simple as adding a gallon or two of Toluene which is rated around 115-120 octane.

MA has some non ethanol stations according to pure-gas.org. I'd start there and see if something is local before buying $10/gal race gas.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I do exactly what ARCOgraphite posted above.

I use beefy 3L glass containers, discarded acid jugs from our lab. Use your resourcefulness to decant the gas from the water/alcohol. I use a length of plastic tube to siphon out the water, and store the E0 gas in the container with the bit of water on the bottom.

I'm so glad can put my card in the machine and pump out REC90.

Originally Posted by Olas
I agree that 100UL is not here yet, however I disagree that it is difficult to make - its a simple as adding a gallon or two of Toluene which is rated around 115-120 octane.

Toluene is 114 octane (R+M)/2 and when blended with unleaded gasoline will raise the octane by a direct amount. Example: A 50-50 mix of 87 unleaded and toluene will result in 100 octane. (87+114)/2 = 100.

Toluene is a wonderful fuel additive, and in fact a wonderful fuel itself, for turbocharged engines that operate with lots of heat. However, in large quantities, it's difficult to atomize and will result in a very poor idle with a fuel injected car, and no possibility of cold idle at all with many carburetor equipped engines. It's also a terrible fuel additive in cold locations due to the above.

Long ago (late 70's to early 80's) I worked for a company that developed engine components for Ford Motorsport (SVO) and raced turbocharged Ford cars on a professional level. We learned about Toluene from the F1 teams operating turbocharged engines. We employed it with good results and were able to make 750 reliable HP from 1.7L engines. Subsequently, I owned turbocharged vehicles and used it.

20% was about the limit in non race use. Attempts to take the 94 octane base component of 100LL Avgas without the lead, and add enough toluene to meet the 100 octane requirements results in an unusable fuel. Attempts have been made to add components that enhance starting and low speed operation, without success.

The F1 teams heated their toluene based fuels to 300 deg F before it was injected. That was the secret to it's use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
Olas said:

Toluene is 114 octane (R+M)/2 and when blended with unleaded gasoline will raise the octane by a direct amount. Example: A 50-50 mix of 87 unleaded and toluene will result in 100 octane. (87+114)/2 = 100.

Toluene is a wonderful fuel additive, and in fact a wonderful fuel itself, for turbocharged engines that operate with lots of heat. However, in large quantities, it's difficult to atomize and will result in a very poor idle with a fuel injected car, and no possibility of cold idle at all with many carburetor equipped engines. It's also a terrible fuel additive in cold locations due to the above.

Long ago (late 70's to early 80's) I worked for a company that developed engine components for Ford Motorsport (SVO) and raced turbocharged Ford cars on a professional level. We learned about Toluene from the F1 teams operating turbocharged engines. We employed it with good results and were able to make 750 reliable HP from 1.7L engines. Subsequently, I owned turbocharged vehicles and used it.

20% was about the limit in non race use. Attempts to take the 94 octane base component of 100LL Avgas without the lead, and add enough toluene to meet the 100 octane requirements results in an unusable fuel. Attempts have been made to add components that enhance starting and low speed operation, without success.

The F1 teams heated their toluene based fuels to 300 deg F before it was injected. That was the secret to it's use.

What you say is true, but was not within the scope of the original question so I did not feel it necessary to mention. The question was solely about unleaded 100 octane, so I answered his question accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back